When recruiting, what are we looking at??

When it comes to recruiting, it's easy to IDENTIFY such players. It's quite another thing to have them sign a LOI. Fran has proven that he can identify talent; we know this as he's in early with a lot of these kinds of kids. He starts building relationships when such players are freshmen and sophomores, sometimes even younger. The problem is when the kid blossoms as a junior or senior, schools with track records of putting kids in the NBA can come in and... well, we all know what happens. I don't think it's a problem with Fran; he's in on the "ground floor" with these kids.

For those of you who don't agree, how many of Iowa's players have been one-and-done? Ricky Davis and ......... How many of Iowa's players have left early for the NBA? Even the classes that Raveling recruited that had arguably the best group of players in Iowa history... how many of them left early for the NBA?

Not an original thought here but I see the problem as Fran not recruiting with much of a plan B. If you can pull in one of these high level kids great but we play against a good many guards often from lesser conference programs who could really help us and open things up for Bohannon who can still help us assist and distribute the ball. Good point made earlier in the thread that the pace Fran wants to play at doesn't play to the type of personnel he puts on the floor. We have a coaching problem as much as a recruiting problem.

Just baffling how all these mid-major/low-major schools have at least 1 athletic slashing guard but Fran hasn’t had one in 8 years at a Big Ten program. Part of the reason why those schools are playing in NCAA Tourney and Iowa isn’t.

Fran should recruit Baltimore County, Maryland apparently. Their guards would kill us.

Fran has a plan. He has the perimeter he wants.

How many of you still think Fran is a good coach?

Speed speed speed speed

Buf and umbc could hang 120 on the Hawks

The team Fredrick plays on in Kentucky won the state championship. He had 32 points in 31 minutes. The guy was 9 for 15 and four for six from three point range. He also was 10 for 11 from the line. Three assists and zero turnovers.

The team Fredrick plays on in Kentucky won the state championship. He had 32 points in 31 minutes. The guy was 9 for 15 and four for six from three point range. He also was 10 for 11 from the line. Three assists and zero turnovers.

Sounds like games Josh Oglesby and Brady Ellingson had in high school against non D1 competition as well.

Time will tell with this kid. I certainly hope this translates but seen this and heard about guys like this that Fran has brought in before. Fran would be best to not proclaim any of his guys "best shooter I've ever coached" or "he shoots 90% at practice" or "best player at practice" statements anymore and not unfairly hype them up.

I think Fran likes shooters who are lengthy and can run the floor well. I also think he looks for good kids who work hard.

As we all know what’s missing is the guard/wing who can create off the bounce.

A couple things I’ve noticed from the tournament...

How many dunks and easy shots we give up and on the flip side on offense our wings/guards can’t go 1-1 to make something happen.

Are we dancing around the central issue here?

Iowa had a coach from 1983-86 who could recruit athletes. Poor bench coach but helluva recruiter whose influence carried over several subsequent seasons for his successor.

Haven’t seen near that caliber of athlete since.

Are we dancing around the central issue here?

Iowa had a coach from 1983-86 who could recruit athletes. Poor bench coach but helluva recruiter whose influence carried over several subsequent seasons for his successor.

Haven’t seen near that caliber of athlete since.

nope, i said this a while back. an-an-an-and George Raveling proved you could bring athletes....and a lot of them, to Iowa City. You're right, that's been missing since...starting with Mr. Davis. So, is it the desires of the fan base or is it the institution? i don't know that answer, but we are generally quite un-athletic.

Sounds like games Josh Oglesby and Brady Ellingson had in high school against non D1 competition as well.

Time will tell with this kid. I certainly hope this translates but seen this and heard about guys like this that Fran has brought in before. Fran would be best to not proclaim any of his guys "best shooter I've ever coached" or "he shoots 90% at practice" or "best player at practice" statements anymore and not unfairly hype them up.

The guy had offers from Indiana, Penn State, and Xavier besides Iowa so he probably is a pretty solid player.

I saw a short video of the finals and CJ wasn't playing against a team of short, uh let's say unathletic guys.

But the truth is nobody really knows if he's gonna be any good until he gets there. He could be another Fran guard who really isn't that good or he could be a really good contributor. For anybody declare he's this or that at this point is pointless.

We'll just have to see.

I saw a short video of the finals and CJ wasn't playing against a team of short, uh let's say unathletic guys.

But the truth is nobody really knows if he's gonna be any good until he gets there. He could be another Fran guard who really isn't that good or he could be a really good contributor. For anybody declare he's this or that at this point is pointless.

We'll just have to see.
You can probably watch the entire State Title game on YouTube. If you wanted to. I've watched 3 of Covington's games on the internet this year.

In regards to CJ Fredrick, he had an offer from Xavier. JP Macura from Xavier was one of their best players and he was a 6'4" senior white shooting guard from Minnesota. He got into foul trouble against Florida State and that lead to their loss. Guess my point is you just never know.

FWIW - JP Macura also played sparingly as a freshman for Xavier. So no need to overreact if CJ only plays 10 minutes a game next year, doesn't necessarily mean he will be another Ellingson

We'll just have to see.

He pretty much dominated the other team. He is pretty athletic, and doesn't look like some skinny guy. He has a high team basketball IQ. It will be interesting to see what CJ, Weiskamp, and McCaffery can do in the coming years.

He pretty much dominated the other team. He is pretty athletic, and doesn't look like some skinny guy. He has a high team basketball IQ. It will be interesting to see what CJ, Weiskamp, and McCaffery can do in the coming years.

He's compared to Ellingson because he's white, plays the same position and is about the same size but CJ seems more fluid, less robotic with the ball and maybe has a slightly quicker release than BE. Plus the high basketball IQ like you mentioned.

In regards to CJ Fredrick, he had an offer from Xavier. JP Macura from Xavier was one of their best players and he was a 6'4" senior white shooting guard from Minnesota. He got into foul trouble against Florida State and that lead to their loss. Guess my point is you just never know.

FWIW - JP Macura also played sparingly as a freshman for Xavier. So no need to overreact if CJ only plays 10 minutes a game next year, doesn't necessarily mean he will be another Ellingson

When he sat with 4 fouls things started to turn around.....

:cool:

If Ellingson doesn't leave I suspect CJ would RS. Where would his mins come from? He's a SG only much like Ellingson. (He shouldn't have even been experimented at pg but Fran is Fran) Moss, Dailey, Ellingson and Weiskamp would surely chew up most of the mins at the 2 spot. Dailey might play some of the 1 especially if CM isn't healthy early but mostly he'll be a 2. Then you have Baer at the 3 maybe Weiskamp plays some of that too if they go small. I just don't see CJ being able to play much at all and in fact the more I think about it even if Ellingson were to leave I'd think he'd play so seldom he should RS anyway.
Think about it this way if Ellingson were a true freshman last yr would you think with what little time he played this year that he should have redshirted? I sure do..

If Ellingson doesn't leave I suspect CJ would RS. Where would his mins come from? He's a SG only much like Ellingson. (He shouldn't have even been experimented at pg but Fran is Fran) Moss, Dailey, Ellingson and Weiskamp would surely chew up most of the mins at the 2 spot. Dailey might play some of the 1 especially if CM isn't healthy early but mostly he'll be a 2. Then you have Baer at the 3 maybe Weiskamp plays some of that too if they go small. I just don't see CJ being able to play much at all and in fact the more I think about it even if Ellingson were to leave I'd think he'd play so seldom he should RS anyway.
Think about it this way if Ellingson were a true freshman last yr would you think with what little time he played this year that he should have redshirted? I sure do..

I think you might be right and id support it. Then his freshman year half the team would be seniors and he could get his feet wet.

I always enjoyed watching Ellingson play. I'm pretty sure all the division one basketball players would be a little less effective if they were to have one of their toes cut off. Didn't he lose a toe his redshirt freshman year? If I lost a toe I'd assume that my athletic ability might be effected somewhat.