When recruiting, what are we looking at??

HawksMN

I can't understand why Fran wants slow of foot seven footers and guards, when other teams I see (I.e. Just about everyone but us) wants slashers??

I can't understand why Fran wants slow of foot seven footers and guards, when other teams I see (I.e. Just about everyone but us) wants slashers??

I watched the Buffalo and Arizona game wondering how the Hawks could ever stop Buffalo. It was like AZ was in granny gear and Buf was the energizer bunny.

Truly I wonder why Iowa can't recruit athletes like I saw on teams like Houston, SF Austin, SD State. You would think Iowa would be a better landing spot for quick athletes than those schools but it really hasn't been for years or even decades.

have to admit, due to work schedule, I didnt see much of yesterdays games. Hope to rectify that today. However, what I did see was guard play. Appears to make a difference.

Fran is more concerned about locking down the borders in the state than he is about going after athletes. That and I think it's easier for him to be lazy and just recruit Iowa kids.

Fran is more concerned about locking down the borders in the state than he is about going after athletes. That and I think it's easier for him to be lazy and just recruit Iowa kids.
I think this is part of Gutless Gary's plan. What's the easiest way to put Iowa butts in the seats, regardless of Win/Loss record? Put Iowa kids on the floor. It's just part of the scam to relieve you of the maximum amount of money that he can.

I think this is part of Gutless Gary's plan. What's the easiest way to put Iowa butts in the seats, regardless of Win/Loss record? Put Iowa kids on the floor. It's just part of the scam to relieve you of the maximum amount of money that he can.
Yeah, his kind of butts. The ones with deep pockets. If that is part of his plan he truly is gutless. And sackless, spineless and frankly brainless. Even ISU knows how to do it better than that.

Truly I wonder why Iowa can't recruit athletes like I saw on teams like Houston, SF Austin, SD State. You would think Iowa would be a better landing spot for quick athletes than those schools but it really hasn't been for years or even decades.

Well, I imagine the demographics in the state of Iowa are different than they are in Texas or California. But point taken - Iowa needs to hire a coach that can really recruit, rather than all these "right way" guys.

That doesn't mean I condone cheating, but "right way" typically means "can't recruit". Gotta be willing to push the envelope a bit if you want to compete at a high level in college sports. That seems to be the landscape.

You need guys who are athletic and quick and guys who can shoot the 3 in this day and age. If they can be both quick and can stroke the 3, all the better. It's as simple as that.

I don't need GB to relieve me, I can relieve myself thank you.....

There isn't a point guard in the country that will beat out Bohannon at Iowa. There might be one that moves Bohannon more at off guard. I would agree that Iowa would have a lot of trouble with really quick athletic teams, especially with Fran wanting the team to run.

You need guys who are athletic and quick and guys who can shoot the 3 in this day and age. If they can be both quick and can stroke the 3, all the better. It's as simple as that.

When it comes to recruiting, it's easy to IDENTIFY such players. It's quite another thing to have them sign a LOI. Fran has proven that he can identify talent; we know this as he's in early with a lot of these kinds of kids. He starts building relationships when such players are freshmen and sophomores, sometimes even younger. The problem is when the kid blossoms as a junior or senior, schools with track records of putting kids in the NBA can come in and... well, we all know what happens. I don't think it's a problem with Fran; he's in on the "ground floor" with these kids.

For those of you who don't agree, how many of Iowa's players have been one-and-done? Ricky Davis and ......... How many of Iowa's players have left early for the NBA? Even the classes that Raveling recruited that had arguably the best group of players in Iowa history... how many of them left early for the NBA?