When is the last time Ferentz won a game by outcoaching the opp?

Makavelihawk

I posted this in a thread and was wondering if perhaps I am missing a game.

The last time I can point to Iowa winning a game by flat out outcoaching/outscheming the opposition is the Orange Bowl against G Tech. Can anyone think of a game since then?

Georgia Tech was because of Norm Parker.. The void of Norm is immense and this program is not the same since he left.

The 3 time outs kicked butt. Kirk won the FG battle today. He's taking baby steps. Next week I hope we get the punting game going and then take it from there.

I would say that Iowa out-schemed/out-coached Minnesota this year. That's probably the last time Iowa has won a game specifically because of a schematic advantage more than because of a physical advantage.

I would say that Iowa out-schemed/out-coached Minnesota this year. That's probably the last time Iowa has won a game specifically because of a schematic advantage more than because of a physical advantage.

I see what you're saying here. However I'd say if the offense wasn't able to execute that game plan to absolute 100% perfection, things could have been different. The offensive line imposed its will all day in that game.

Georgia Tech was because of Norm Parker.. The void of Norm is immense and this program is not the same since he left.

If norm would have ran this 3rd and long defense, no one would have ever scored on us.

Also I think the drop off on defense was more about d line attrition than about norm being gone.

The last time I can point to Iowa winning a game by flat out outcoaching/outscheming the opposition is the Orange Bowl against G Tech. Can anyone think of a game since then?

KF's idea of coaching to win is hoping the other team screws up.

NEVER.

There were some games (like G Tech in the Orange Bowl) where Norm changed the game. But KFz can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag once the ball is kicked off.

We have one of the greatest assistant coaches in college football on our sideline. Unfortunately... we hired him as head coach.

The Hawks didn't win the game, but you could argue they out coached OSU.

Norm gets credit for the 2010 Orange Bowl. KF can take some credit for 2010 MSU, though MSU falling flat as a pancake had a lot to do with that. 2011 Michigan and 2012 MSU wins (and 2013 Northwestern) the team won in spite of KF.
The last time KF (and not a coordinator) outdid his opponent was either 2009 MSU or more probably 2008 PSU.

The Hawks didn't win the game, but you could argue they out coached OSU.

For sure the staff was great in that game. Iowa loses this year in the second half because good gameplanning cannot cover up for mediocre (and in the case of Iowa's offense below average) talent. Talent wins out and Iowa doesn't have nearly enough of it. All I can say is, thank god we don't play in a better conference.

Latest posts