When Ferentz names a new QB to start the year.....

Really I think it is a function of two or three seasons. The 2008 team didnt start with a new QB and ended 9-4 iirc, if they named Stanzi the starter at the beginning of 2008 and they win that Pitt game and maybe another then that new 11-2 record makes the New Starter numbers look even better.

Last edited:
Really I think it is a function of two or three seasons. The 2008 team didnt start with a new QB and ended 9-4 iirc, if they named Stanzi the starter at the beginning of 2008 and they win that Pitt game and maybe another then that new 11-2 record makes the New Starter numbers look even better.

What if JC stayed the starter the whole year and Stanzi started '09? '08 would have certainly been worse but '09 mightnot have been quite as good. Either way the numbers would have been way better that way too.

Funny how Kirks 5 best seasons have been with a new starter at QB.

He stuck with JC too long and lost his team (fat cats year)

He stuck with Rudock too long and lost that team.

Stanzi was the starter in 08 for every game but Pitt I believe.

JC started the first 2 games in 2008

Stanzi started the 3rd game against ISU

JC started the 4th game against Pitt

Stanzi started every remaining game in 2008 starting with the 5th game.

IMO, it's not so much when KF names the starting QB as who gives KF advice in the naming of the starting QB.

If KF asks offensive-minded Iowa coach's opinions, there's a good possibility of the starting QB leading the Hawks to a great season. If KF doesn't ask offensive-minded Iowa coach's opinions, it's a crap shoot.

Latest posts