When Did You Know You Were A Hawk?

RoseBowlBound

Okay Hawk Fans, here's my question, When did you realize for the first time that you loved Iowa sports? Was it a game or certain moment? Any sport really fits here.

For me its kind of two parts; I'm 19 right now so obviously I'm not old enough to remember anything but Kirk Ferentz and Alford till now so here are my two:
  • First game at Kinnick, rolled into a beautiful fall day for my first visit and was in love from the start. It was homecoming 2003 with Michigan coming into town for a huge big ten game. Me and my mother (took me to most games as a child) had great seats and I just remember those butterfly I got walking up from the concourse and seeing that sight. After that its all a blur of Iowa kicking some wolverine *** and after that I was well on my way to love.
  • What sealed my fate as a hawk fan was the 2004 season in general and how the Hawkeyes fought back from every single ounce of adversity to win that big 10 championship. That season my mother and I made it to 9 of the 12 games and I had no chance after that. Whether it was watching that Big ten championship trophy get carried down the steps of kinnick and chanting "Big Ten Champs" , then rushing the field, or sitting at the Capital One Bowl crying my eyes out about how they had blown such a great game and seeing that mesmerizing pass fly over the LSU defense, I was set on this path as a hopeless hawk fan for life.

Lets hear em!

Roughly 1987...I was 11 and my dad and his buddies were talking the hawks and watching a game. I actually remember how excited they were...from there I started asking dad about the Hawks, their history, etc. He would tell me stories about Hayden, Evy, Kinnick, etc etc. He had a bumper sticker on our old work van "85 Rose Bowl we shall return"...was on there for years....loved it everytime I saw it....still love that feeling...even though we haven't got there.

Short answer...my Dad and older brothers , uncles, and there friends shared this great common passion and pride... through the ups downs, ugly, and great times....

Its a family we have...even the ones thatdrive me crazy on here with the nnegativity...we all share the passion.

Go Hawks

I was 7 years old when my dad took me to my first game at Kinnick. Marv Cook was my favorite player, but he had been hurt the week before and couldn't play. I was absolutely crushed. After the game, while walking down Melrose towards our car, who should we happen to see but Marv Cook himself hobbling down the street on his crutches. We caught up with him and he graciously agreed to sign my program, which I still have to this very day, 25 years later. I couldn't tell you who they played that day, what the score was, or really anything about the game, but I will never forget that moment for as long as I live. Needless to say, I was hooked for life at that point, although Kirk is doing his very best to beat it out of me.

Last edited:
I also was 7 when dad took me to kinnick and I believe we played Minnesota. The thing I remember is it
Snowing so hard you couldn't hardly see the players on the field. We stayed for the whole game. It meant
that much to my dad so I guess it was pretty important. Had to be a hawk just like my dad. Dad has passed
So my grandchildren are now HAWKS!

1962, the year I was born....my father is a huge Hawk fan, and it stayed like ever since with me and my present family.....

8/18/1983. I came out of the womb singing the Iowa Fight Song. Both of my parents went to Iowa, my mother's side of the family is from Iowa City and some family still lives there. My dada took me to my first Iowa game in the late 80's. I was an Iowa football player for Halloween from age 3 until the costume didn't fit anymore. My sister and I went to Iowa and I was Herky the Hawk from 2003-2005. Furthermore, I got a lil' Herky on the way and due in November. He/she will be a Hawk just like me! BTW RoseBowlBound, I got to ride out on the platform before the game as Herky for the 2003 Homecoming game against Michigan 10/4/2003 @ 230 pm. That is one of the best games I ever experienced in Kinnick aside from 2002 Purdue, and 2004 Wisconsin.

The wonderful 1999 season, my grandpa took me to my first game. It was preseason or a low quality opponent, I remember seeing empty seats all around.

We moved near Iowa City when I was 13. Two events sealed it for life. Hayden Fry's first game up 26-3 I believe over Indiana, only to lose. I just loved ol' Hayden Fry! And Ronnie Lester and the 1980 Hawkeye basketball team and their Final 4 run (Virginia Commonwealth, NC State, Syracuse, Georgetown, Louisville, Purdue). Being at the Fieldhouse at midnight for the return of the team was something I'll never forget.

I always like the Hawkeyes when I was a kid, but my friends and I mostly followed the NFL. The Vikings were my team and I really didn't pay too much attention to college sports. My first year at Iowa was also Hayden Fry's first year at Iowa. It wasn't until I started attending Hawkeye football and basketball games that I truly became a Hawkeye. I've loved them ever since my first game at Kinnick as a student in 1979. My first basketball game at the Field House made it even sweeter. Good times.

1981, 10-7 over Nebraska...Had every reason on the planet to end up being a Nebby fan, that game cemented my love affair for the hawks, that and the 1980 basketball season.

I was 6 but remember watching '85 Michigan and seeing how BIG that game was. The 80's and the good years of the 90's were great. But what made me realize hoe big Iowa football was to me was the '00 Michigan St. game. 13 straight losses. Kahlil Hill, dancing to daylight! Kasper for the winning TD. Bob was still Demond Sanders. I was going nuts. Even after all the misery, it was nice to see them win again.

1989. I was 9. Grew up in NW Iowa and 3 friends of mine and I got to see BJ Horton and Marble during what they did back then a sr tour around the state playing I think were charity games. They were in Le Mars and got all 3 of their autographs and pics with them afterwards. BJ had a cast on his wrist and still played in the game. He was really nice to me and everyone. I've been his biggest fan and a Hawkeye ever since.

1989. I was 9. Grew up in NW Iowa and 3 friends of mine and I got to see BJ Horton and Marble during what they did back then a sr tour around the state playing I think were charity games. They were in Le Mars and got all 3 of their autographs and pics with them afterwards. BJ had a cast on his wrist and still played in the game. He was really nice to me and everyone. I've been his biggest fan and a Hawkeye ever since.

+1. Big BJ fan - my favorite Hawk of all time.

In 1993 I saw the same thing in Sioux City. Acie Earl was there but didn't play "to protect himself for the draft" but oh well, it was still pretty fun. Hawks who did play were Val Barnes, Troy Skinner, Jay Webb..

Born and raised in Iowa City a few blocks from Kinnick stadium! My parents still live in the same house, I have since moved to Texas, but proudly display the tigerhawk on the back window of my car.

Back in the day when I kept a scrapbook of Hawkeye pictures I cut out of the Des Moines Register "Big Peach" Sports section.

Hawkeyes doned their new look head gear and uniforms....

DateOpponent[SUP]#[/SUP]Rank[SUP]#[/SUP]SiteTVResultAttendance
September 8IndianaKinnick Stadium • Iowa City, IAL 26–30 59,700

$T2eC16RHJI!E9qSO8m7tBQwhOVCh5w~~60_57.JPG

Fry vs Corso - Read this humorous little piece
Tales from College Football's Sidelines - Herschel Nissenson - Google Books

fe74ea5b2f6a46195b5ffbd4d8d9c55589010ae3.jpg

Latest posts