What's Wrong with Syracuse......

jacknicholson

The Orangemen have lost 4 of their last five, by 19 points to Virginia. How can this be for the former number one team in America who looked like a lock for the Final Four. WOW, imagine that.....

Appears that the Hawks have lost four of their five. Apparently Fran is not the only Iowa coach not to win at East Lansing. Davis didn't win there all that much either. Tough place to play.....

Seems like slumps are somewhat commonplace in college ball. Wisconsin had their 5 of 6 losing streak earlier in the season, losing to Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Gasp, a win against Purdue, and then losses to Northwestern and Ohio State. Sound somewhat familiar doesn't it.....

Michigan State lost 5 of their last 8 games beating NW and Purdue and losing to Georgetown, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and Illinois. They lost to Michigan twice. We beat Michigan, Nebraska, Illinois. They beat Penn State, Northwestern and Purdue in that stretch.

Ohio State lost five out of six, losing to Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska and Penn State. They beat Illinois in that stretch......

Big Ten seems to be Brutal and Surprising this season. Teams seem to be going into slumps. Iowa is just one of them.....

If Wisconsin wins Sunday at Nebraska and the Hawks beat Illinois the last game at Carver we finish in fourth place and get a bye. Entirely possible. I will be happy with a bye in the BTT.....

Trice and McCabe go back a ways, two years ago, when he was wearing his plastic face, he fouled Zach hard on a last second shot that would have won or tied the game at Carver. After the refs failed to call the obvious foul, he grinned like a circus clown at McCabe. There was no reason to hang on to Zach's arm, irritating hm, rubbing the win in. They were ahead by 15 points. The game was over. Anybody really surprised by that. We don't win at MSU. Is it sinking in yet. Every Iowa coach has had difficulty winning at MSU. Last one was Davis and it was rare then also.....

Wonder what he did to get the plastic face to wear, wonder who he irritated to that extent to warrant the punishment. Does the Villanova player get a pass for kicking Aaron White in the nose when White was two feet into the air or the other Villanova player poking his finger in Aaron's eye, one finger extended from his fist. Just a foul called both times.....

Win Sunday coupled with a loss by Nebraska against Wisconsin gives us a fourth place finish and a bye in the BTT. I will be happy. That is a remarkable accomplishment for Fran in the four years after Lick. We are Tournament Bound and I feel good about that. Teams lose, Get over it.....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
if this were the football board, you would be called a fran apologist and accepting of mediocrity.

i honestly don't think i'd mind having to play the first round of the BTT. this team needs as many games as possible to get their problems figured out. i know that's not ideal, but it wouldn't upset me if they had to play on thursday.

there's still time for this team to get it figured out. i still have faith. things will get better and theres still a lot of fun to be had this season

Nicely said Jack, totally agree....the basketball season for any team is brutal w/huge aspirations on the line, Conference titles are won and lost because of fatigue, blunders by players and coaches, and that's what can drive a fan crazy....last night was no exception...McCabe and Trice both got what they deserved...end of discussion, McCabe retaliated while Trice just kept taunting.....somehow or another you just have to work through it, move on and play ball...

The Orangemen are 1 and 5 in their last 5 games. The Hawks are 1 and 4 in their last 5 games. Both teams seem to be getting worse as the season goes on (contrast that to Nebraska's late season run).

Usually when this happens a key player or two is injured/unavailable. I think Melsahn had some impact on us.

You could question coaching but Jimmy B usually figures things out quicker than most coaches. I think the jury is out on coaching toughness at Iowa.

if this were the football board, you would be called a fran apologist and accepting of mediocrity.

i honestly don't think i'd mind having to play the first round of the BTT. this team needs as many games as possible to get their problems figured out. i know that's not ideal, but it wouldn't upset me if they had to play on thursday.

there's still time for this team to get it figured out. i still have faith. things will get better and theres still a lot of fun to be had this season

exactly

I don't like Trice either and I did not care for the smug look both he and Valentine had as they headed back to their bench going right by the Iowa one. But do not stoop down to their level, McCabe did not need to slam Trice down. I would have rather seen McCabe turn the little beetch around and looked him square in the eye and tell him to "let go!", then Trice might have been the one to over react.

It comes down to keeping composed, McCabe plays with his emotions on his sleeve and Trice was able to take advantage of that.

What concerns me is not so much the fact we are in a slump as a lot of teams go through that at some point in the season. It's that we are slumping to end the season that worries me the most.

Wisconsin went through the same thing earlier this year and managed to working out their issues, now they're in the Top 10. We, on the other hand, are free falling out of the Top 25 to end the season - just imagine if we didn't come back against a sub-average Purdue team. Add the McCabe distractions and we just seem to be a slow-motion train wreck in progress.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge, Jack. Either you just saved my life or postponed the inevitable......:p

Not certain the way Trice was pinning Zach's arm down, he could have turned the little Beetch around. Trice was walking down the court preventing McCabe from going down court to play D.....

I personally don't know anyone who could have taken the hundreds of extremely nasty posts that Zach has had to suffer and maintain composure against a nasty little P**** like Trice.....

All we have to do is beat Illinois and hope the Badgers bring their A game to Nebraska.....

Syracuse may be worse off. If they had our schedule they would have lost to Purdue as well (see: Boston College and Georgia Tech games).

What concerns me is not so much the fact we are in a slump as a lot of teams go through that at some point in the season. It's that we are slumping to end the season that worries me the most.

Wisconsin went through the same thing earlier this year and managed to working out their issues, now they're in the Top 10. We, on the other hand, are free falling out of the Top 25 to end the season - just imagine if we didn't come back against a sub-average Purdue team. Add the McCabe distractions and we just seem to be a slow-motion train wreck in progress.

The timing is really bad, we should be getting better at the end of the season.....

[h=3] More disappointing regular season: 2010 football or 2013-14 hoops[/h] Started by Igothawked

Seems like a lot of disappointing teams this basketball season, football season is long over.....

[h=2]What's Wrong with Syracuse......[/h]
The Orangemen have lost 4 of their last five, by 19 points to Virginia. How can this be for the former number one team in America who looked like a lock for the Final Four. WOW, imagine that.....

Appears that the Hawks have lost four of their five. Apparently Fran is not the only Iowa coach not to win at East Lansing. Davis didn't win there all that much either. Tough place to play.....

Seems like slumps are somewhat commonplace in college ball. Wisconsin had their 5 of 6 losing streak earlier in the season, losing to Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Gasp, a win against Purdue, and then losses to Northwestern and Ohio State. Sound somewhat familiar doesn't it.....

Michigan State lost 5 of their last 8 games beating NW and Purdue and losing to Georgetown, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and Illinois. They lost to Michigan twice. We beat Michigan, Nebraska, Illinois. They beat Penn State, Northwestern and Purdue in that stretch.

Ohio State lost five out of six, losing to Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska and Penn State. They beat Illinois in that stretch......

Big Ten seems to be Brutal and Surprising this season. Teams seem to be going into slumps. Iowa is just one of them.....

If Wisconsin wins Sunday at Nebraska and the Hawks beat Illinois the last game at Carver we finish in fourth place and get a bye. Entirely possible. I will be happy with a bye in the BTT.....

Trice and McCabe go back a ways, two years ago, when he was wearing his plastic face, he fouled Zach hard on a last second shot that would have won or tied the game at Carver. After the refs failed to call the obvious foul, he grinned like a circus clown at McCabe. There was no reason to hang on to Zach's arm, irritating hm, rubbing the win in. They were ahead by 15 points. The game was over. Anybody really surprised by that. We don't win at MSU. Is it sinking in yet. Every Iowa coach has had difficulty winning at MSU. Last one was Davis and it was rare then also.....

Wonder what he did to get the plastic face to wear, wonder who he irritated to that extent to warrant the punishment. Does the Villanova player get a pass for kicking Aaron White in the nose when White was two feet into the air or the other Villanova player poking his finger in Aaron's eye, one finger extended from his fist. Just a foul called both times.....

Win Sunday coupled with a loss by Nebraska against Wisconsin gives us a fourth place finish and a bye in the BTT. I will be happy. That is a remarkable accomplishment for Fran in the four years after Lick. We are Tournament Bound and I feel good about that. Teams lose, Get over it.....

Sorry, didn't mean to post the entire thread. Only intended the OP in reply to:

More disappointing regular season: 2010 football or 2013-14 hoops

I am not disappointed with the team this season. We are going to the Tournament. Who really thought that four years ago with the team Fran started with, whoever stayed after Lick and recruiting was extremely difficult....

Made the Nit two years and have a chance to finish fourth in the conference and go to the NCAA Tournament in four years under Fran and staff, plus the team, of course.....

No, I am not disappointed, just elated and proud of this team....

I do feel sorry for Illinois though.....

cool.png

Last edited:

Us getting cold to close the season isn't all that relevant. It's that we haven't been hot yet that interests me most. What is our absolute worst case scenario? Normal Iowa loses by 1-2 possessions no matter who the opponent is, COLD Iowa ups that margin all the way to 7ish. Zero bad losses. We have a clear picture what our floor is. What we don't know is how tall our ceiling is. Our next 3 games will be against a B1G team from all 3 quality tiers. We'll get a great idea of how we're *actually* playing headed into Tourney play, if that's what you're worried about.

The answer to the Wisconsin comparison is filed under the header Re: DOESN'T MATTER!! We didn't even know our own schedule for a week this year, and when we figured it out we jammed 3 games into it. Guess which week we lost those 3 games? Keep in mind also who we lost those to; Wisconsin, at IU and at Minnesota. I don't even know why we're talking about those games. The absurdity of the situation rendered them all effectively USELESS in judging our quality of play.

Also, it doesn't matter if Purdue is average. Look at the teams NW and Penn St. beat. We were just talking about Wisconsin, weren't we? Keep in mind our home crowd was dead silent and we were down 4 with 10:00 after being blind-sided with that 3-game losing streak. We stayed calm, we got their C out of the game, we hit our free throws. Again, I don't imagine if we didn't come back, I imagine if Iowa St. and Villanova didn't come back. This is the B1G Tournament and then the NCAA Tournament right here. We don't need to be thinking about Purdue, we need to be thinking about heating up. What if we do heat up?

The 3-games after the Indiana fiasco got me all worked up now. I totally gotta state our case in a new thread. Hint: We're actually not 1-4 like we think. Those games were absolute trash and we still almost won. But yeah, time for a long post about that.

Great post Jack. Fran will do what he we wanted him to do and that is to get us back in the tournament. I am confident that he are going on a nice long tourney run with Fran for years to come. All he needs to do is keep the in state talent from leaving and snag a player or 2 from out of state and we'll have ample talent to compete for Big 10. Kids growing up Hawk fans with talent to to play Big ball.Fran brought an exiting high scoring brand of BB to Iowa. Win or lose the games this year have been entertaining.

No, never feel sorry for Illinois. Do I need to remind you what their students did a few years back? I hope Iowa trashes them.

Yes please remind me, as I had a lot of fun in college; and as a result, my memory is not so good anymore.

Clearly you have no grasp on reality and are making everything up. No teams go into slumps like Iowa is and if other teams did their coach would coach them out of it and Fran can't coach them out of it. Wait...

if other teams did go into slumps like Iowa then their coach would coach them out of it before they got into and clearly Fran can't coach that way like other coaches can.

:confused:
;)

Latest posts