What’s up with Patrick

Thanks, BigD. Very good news about Patrick. I feel the same way he does about his national ranking. His ability is obvious and has been for quite a while. Love hearing about the angles. That makes a difference and is an advantage on the floor. Baer has that ability. That is how he used to grab all those rebounds and putbacks in traffic, coming from nowhere to slam a missed shot......

The Minn coach appreciates his oncourt savvy. That makes 2 on the team, something our team seriously needs. Baer, Bohannon and Kriener are the only Hawkeyes with this quality right now. Connor definitely has this ability as evidenced during his limited time on the court despite being physically handicapped due to his medical condition.....

Glad to hear that he is working on his three. That is essential. The weight gain should, perhaps, silence his critics about that aspect.....

What a bonus it would be to have three Hawks on the floor with point guard prowess. Things should be much better this season with Connor in that respect. The following year with Patrick on board and there is the definite possibility that we will be making noise in conference and maybe, just maybe, on a national basis.....

Alright, Alright, Alright

:cool:

Well Patrick wasn't much help landing Carton... We'll see if he has any better luck with his AAU teammates. I like the idea of having a long lanky ball handler like him. But unless he gets bigger he won't even be as good of a version of what Ben Simmons kinda was in college. 180 is skinny. I saw where they were calling Carton skinny and that's about what he weighs at 6'1... It sounds like he isn't a very good shooter. 20something % from 3. That's where you start telling the kid to stop jacking them so much.

Well Patrick wasn't much help landing Carton... We'll see if he has any better luck with his AAU teammates. I like the idea of having a long lanky ball handler like him. But unless he gets bigger he won't even be as good of a version of what Ben Simmons kinda was in college. 180 is skinny. I saw where they were calling Carton skinny and that's about what he weighs at 6'1... It sounds like he isn't a very good shooter. 20something % from 3. That's where you start telling the kid to stop jacking them so much.

One becomes a better shooter by shooting the ball.....

In practice, practice, practice and on the floor in actual game situations.....

Patrick's weight seems to be going up. This is a good thing. His weight is a negative to some folk, but his basketball ability and court savvy make up for that factor rather well.....

One becomes a better shooter by shooting the ball.....

In practice, practice, practice and on the floor in actual game situations.....

Patrick's weight seems to be going up. This is a good thing. His weight is a negative to some folk, but his basketball ability and court savvy make up for that factor rather well.....

He's plenty young yet having over a year to put on weight. I'd bet a RS year once he gets to Iowa would do him good but I doubt he'll end up doing that. But man he's 20 lbs or so away from still being a light skinny SF.. So we'll see. I love long lanky ball handlers and savy smart players at both ends. Hopefully his body will respond in the weight room this year more and even if he's slight he could get stronger. That's true about there's only one way to improve at shooting. But man you don't want someone taking any significant amount of volume of shots shooting under 30% from out there... I'm sure he's working his tail off at it and we'll see how the rest of the summer and his HS season goes

I thought it was a great article and gives us some hope and something to be positive about. Did I read that correctly that he is 6’8” and plays the guard position? Has there been any guess at just how tall he will get?

I still see him as a likely redshirt candidate his freshman year. The potential is there but the weight is coming in pretty slow. Even at 190-195 he’d struggle with the physicality of the B1G. I didn’t realize he shot such a low percentage from three this year, so he still has a long way to go in that regard.

I really think Fran needs to land a player in the 2019 class that can make an instant impact. Cook is likely gone after this year so I think we will need someone who can come in and contribute right away, and right now I don’t feel that Patrick is that guy.

I still see him as a likely redshirt candidate his freshman year. The potential is there but the weight is coming in pretty slow. Even at 190-195 he’d struggle with the physicality of the B1G. I didn’t realize he shot such a low percentage from three this year, so he still has a long way to go in that regard.

I really think Fran needs to land a player in the 2019 class that can make an instant impact. Cook is likely gone after this year so I think we will need someone who can come in and contribute right away, and right now I don’t feel that Patrick is that guy.
Here are his stats from last season:

19.9 Points

3pt: 26.2%
FG: 52.1%
FT: 73.9%

6.3 Rbds

1.03 Blocks
2.26 Assists
1.65 Turnovers
1.3 Steals

Here are his stats from last season:

19.9 Points

3pt: 26.2%
FG: 52.1%
FT: 73.9%

6.3 Rbds

1.03 Blocks
2.26 Assists
1.65 Turnovers
1.3 Steals
How much higher would his FG% be if he shot better or less 3s at that 26% clip.... I haven't watched him play other than highlights so I have no idea if he's shooting one or two 3s a game or 5 or more. Volume is everything within the context of a players game.

How much higher would his FG% be if he shot better or less 3s at that 26% clip.... I haven't watched him play other than highlights so I have no idea if he's shooting one or two 3s a game or 5 or more. Volume is everything within the context of a players game.
He shot 2.5 threes a game

He shot 2.5 threes a game
Thanks for digging that up. For shooting that low a % as his coach I'd probably not want him shooting many more than that. But if your playing a fast uptempo game even that isn't crazy. So he's making one 3 a game if that most of the time... It'd be great if he was a deadeye shooter to go with the rest of his game but that may be why he's not looked at as one of the top of the top kids now. His value may be more with his creating inside the 3 pt line for himself and others more so than being an outside threat. There's value in that depending on how good he gets. But that's a whole lot of cheesburgers from now. He's gotta beef up yet too.