What's up with Gettis?

hawkfan340

Saw he wasn't listed on the depth chart. Koepple now listed as starter with MacMillian as backup at RG. Was this an injury thing or a performance thing?

He seemed to be performing pretty well after the AZ game, although I didn't get to watch him that close in the IU game because of my vantage point in the stadium. Did he have some mistakes out there?

He was playing very well when he got hurt vs MSU...not been seen since.
Our injuries continue to pile up. What nu?

Okay, I missed that. I thought he played last weekend and I also thought the MSU injury wasn't that serious. Out to lunch on my part.

I hope Gettis or MacMillan come back soon. Koepple was having some problems last week.

Yep. Should be okay against NW (ps I know it is one word, but I understand we get to call schools anything we want now) but no way against OSU. Need Mac or Gettis to get some reps before that.

Not many are talking about this....

but this has been an extremely shocking fact to me since the MSU game that the next man in at the guard position was Koeppel. Yes, tough kid and hard worker no doubt but the fact that the coaching staff would play an individual who is vastly under-sized even at the center spot at right guard blew me away. I think this is a massive problem waiting to happen. If we had no-one else I could certainly understand but we have Boeffelli, Van Sloten and Orne to name a few that provide the physical characteristics to play that position at the Big Ten level.

If you noticed at Indiana, his man got push on him on our 2 pt conversion and subsequently knocked Ricky's pass down. That was a huge play for IU. Also during the game the announcer specifically called out the d-lineman playing in his gap for more or less doing a great job in the game 'creating havoc' at the line of scrimmage. That guy was a complete scrub.

Again, I'm not saying Koeppel is not playing his tail off but he is not equipped physically to play that position. This is a problem. I wish someone in the media would ask why Koeppel is playing this spot now over many others who practiced/played this spot in Spring, Summer, etc. and have the physical tools to compete in the Big Ten. It just does not add up to me. Not to mention it would be nice to get Boeffelli, Van Sloten, etc. some practical game time going into next year instead of a backup center who is graduating.

First, I don't think Boffeli is more than 10 lbs bigger then Koeppel. Both are 'undersized'.

Second, the batted 2-pt conversion was pure luck -- the guy was just starting a spin move & stuck his arm up in the air. What I couldn't figure out was why Koeppel wasn't cutting the guy like both JV & RR were doing.

Anyway, there's no real conspiracy here Koeppel played decent. He's a 5th year sr that Kirk is going to give a nod to -- especially in light of how he was in the thick of the Center competition when he got hit by a freaking F-150.

Having said all this...I hope Gettis (or McMill) is back this week...

Ugh, hey guys didn't i see macmillian listed as back up? is that because he is Questionable for this game?

i looked at 2 deeps John put out today and saw it there ?

I hear your point but I'm not just talking weight, I am also talking height. Koeppel is a tad shorter than Ferentz. Boeffelli is about 6' 4".

I'd like to see 6' 4" and 280-285 lbs instead of 6' 1", 270 lbs(maybe). That's a leverage advantage in my book. Also, Van Sloten is 6' 6" around 290 lbs. Again much more prototypical for a starting guard in this league.

Look over the starting lineups in the Big Ten and I'll bet you money you'll have a hard time finding a guard of Koeppel's true size in a starting lineup.

The real question still is why not Boeffelli, Van Sloten, and/or Orne ?

Ugh, hey guys didn't i see macmillian listed as back up? is that because he is Questionable for this game?

i looked at 2 deeps John put out today and saw it there ?

I've been wanting to know what happened to McMillan also. I assumed he has had some kind of undisclosed injury since he has not been playing lately? He was not perfect by any means but I liked what I saw from him and love his size at guard when he played earlier this year. I can't believe he is not listed ahead of Koeppel if he is truly healthy and ready to go?

Still baffled by Koeppel at left guard.

Seeing JK in there at guard I would assume Cody Hundertmark has to be kicking himself in the @ss right about now for quitting.

Seeing JK in there at guard I would assume Cody Hundertmark has to be kicking himself in the @ss right about now for quitting.

That is a great point... you are only a play or two away from playing sometimes.

But I really wonder if he would also not be playing right now and instead Koeppel. Again, I'm beating a dead-horse but we have several other options some of which I am willing to bet are more suitable for the guard spot.

I'm really worried about this if you all cannot tell. I have a feeling this is going to bite us hard. If not at NW, especially with OSU. You cannot put out chump change on the line of scrimmage against OSU and expect to beat them. NW although not as stout as OSU on the lines will play us hard. We need to put out the best line we can from a size/physicality stand point given the stakes and upcoming opponents.

I'n not qualified to question KFs choice of starters BUT, I'm going to anyways.
I would rather see Orne or Van Sloten playing G than Koeple.

Thats right! You heard me say it.

Don't you think it's possible...

I hear your point but I'm not just talking weight, I am also talking height. Koeppel is a tad shorter than Ferentz. Boeffelli is about 6' 4".

I'd like to see 6' 4" and 280-285 lbs instead of 6' 1", 270 lbs(maybe). That's a leverage advantage in my book. Also, Van Sloten is 6' 6" around 290 lbs. Again much more prototypical for a starting guard in this league.

Look over the starting lineups in the Big Ten and I'll bet you money you'll have a hard time finding a guard of Koeppel's true size in a starting lineup.

The real question still is why not Boeffelli, Van Sloten, and/or Orne ?

the coaches have taken all these things into consideration and determined that Koeppel is the best alternative at guard? I'm not placing blind faith in the coaches, but at some point you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that they are making the best choice based on seeing practice every day. I don't think they would play a guy just because he's a senior. If that were the case, Morris and Dibona wouldn't be starting at linebacker ahead of Troy Johnson.

I too think that you would like to have a guard who is bigger than Koeppel (like MacMillan or Gettis). Hopefully Mac and/or Gettis can get back to playing as soon as possible.

I thought I had seen it all, but now we have posters who don't even have to go to practice and still no more about offensive line play than Morgan and Ferentz combined. Pretty impressive!

Latest posts