Whats the plan? How do we pull off the upset?

Keep restarting the game until everything goes Iowa’s way...
nes_game_genie-597192.jpg

Concentrate on defending Cumberland i.e. don't leave your defensive territory to help elsewhere. Also, take it to him on offense and try getting him in foul trouble. Limit his minutes and his open shots and we can beat the Bearcats.

I don’t think the separation is that big between the teams. I agree with Deace on the pod, if Iowa can get to the free throw line they have a very good chance. I wouldn’t count on shooting well in the tourney many teams do not.
It really comes down to how the game is called, if over the back, reaching, and body checking are not fouls Iowa will not win. Iowa has to play smarter, guys like Garza can't continue to go one on three. Garza really needs to kick the ball out faster. I like what Cook is doing right now, being agressive is important for him. And of course, Shoot with confidence.

So, I did a little scouting of Cinn. Cinn plays a match up zone. They pay attention to 3 pt shooters and like to push them out past the 3 pt line. But, they like to keep 2 guys tight to the lane to discourage dribble drive to the basket. I think I'd start Baer over Garza and force Cinn to try and guard 4 legit 3 pt threats. That would give TC some room to work in the post or drive to the hoop. We're gonna need someone else to put pressure on the post defense with dribble drive. It either has to be Moss or Weiskamp. I'd use Baer and Weiskamp to crash the offensive glass. There's gonna be a lot of room inside if Cinn extends out to guard 4 threats. We can't settle for chucking 3s with everyone else standing around. We have to reverse the ball for open looks because they'll be there. We cannot over dribble against this team like we have been lately. They'll trap out of that zone.
If Cinn decides to give up corner 3s in favor of keeping their post defense intact, we might be able to make enough hay to win this game. Assuming we play adequate defense....of course. Which goes back to having Baer on the floor rather than Garza. Cinn likes to screen and roll from the high post. Garza's kryptonite. Cinn does have some 3 pt shooters. I'm not sure if they have enough of them to shoot us out of the building.
My 2 cents.

So, I did a little scouting of Cinn. Cinn plays a match up zone. They pay attention to 3 pt shooters and like to push them out past the 3 pt line. But, they like to keep 2 guys tight to the lane to discourage dribble drive to the basket. I think I'd start Baer over Garza and force Cinn to try and guard 4 legit 3 pt threats. That would give TC some room to work in the post or drive to the hoop. We're gonna need someone else to put pressure on the post defense with dribble drive. It either has to be Moss or Weiskamp. I'd use Baer and Weiskamp to crash the offensive glass. There's gonna be a lot of room inside if Cinn extends out to guard 4 threats. We can't settle for chucking 3s with everyone else standing around. We have to reverse the ball for open looks because they'll be there. We cannot over dribble against this team like we have been lately. They'll trap out of that zone.
If Cinn decides to give up corner 3s in favor of keeping their post defense intact, we might be able to make enough hay to win this game. Assuming we play adequate defense....of course. Which goes back to having Baer on the floor rather than Garza. Cinn likes to screen and roll from the high post. Garza's kryptonite. Cinn does have some 3 pt shooters. I'm not sure if they have enough of them to shoot us out of the building.
My 2 cents.

sounds like a plan. also, I hope to hell we finish our lay-ups and 1 - 2 foot shots- have been missing a lot of those lately.

I don’t think the separation is that big between the teams. I agree with Deace on the pod, if Iowa can get to the free throw line they have a very good chance. I wouldn’t count on shooting well in the tourney many teams do not.

Get to the line, and STAY IN ZONE D

Things to avoid:

Slow start

Intimidated by physical play

Reaching on defense

Missing 12 inch shots

Technical fouls on coach and son of coach

Hanging heads if behind

Cook trying to go coast to coast

Standing around as Cincinnati gets into rebounding position

Missing the front end of one and ones

Playing man to man defense on teams that are quicker (not enough room to list all such teams)

Iowa PGs trying to penetrate the defense (LOL)

Listening to post game where Fran describes the tremendous season, following 30 point blow out loss.

Bottom line, if Iowa can make some shots, they have a good chance, if not, they will be rolled.

Latest posts