What's our non-conference record this year?

Probably 3-1. Illinois State was very tough last year, they beat UNI by 20 and eventually lost to ND State in the FCS Championship game by 2 points. However, they lost 11 starters to graduation so might struggle in 2015. Pitt will be better this year with 17 starters back even though that game is at Kinnick it could be a pick 'em game. If we are not motivated to kick the sh*t out of the clowns after that 4th quarter debacle last year it could be a long season but I think we win that one on the road. North Texas lost 4 of 5 O lineman so they will probably struggle early.

UNi beat Illinois State by 14.

I can see two different scenarios playing out.

If coach is smart he bust out the play book from the Brad Banks days and let CJ lead the team. If that happens we start 4-0.

If we continue to run sweep plays to the short side of the field on 1st & 2nd down and then our typical 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 we will start the season going 2-2.

Absolutely have to beat the clowns this year. Paul Rhoads is not the guy to change the fortunes in Ames. If they go 2-10 again they might cement themselves as the absolute worst football team in college football history. What would happen if ISU made a mistake and actually hired someone who could coach football. I get the fact that it's their super bowl and they start pumping the players up when spring training starts. I also know if an Iowa player shows the least little bit of excitement Kirk might bench him. I think the loss we'll suffer is the Pitt game. God help us if we lose any of the others.

Well if one of those 2 victories is against us ( and it probably will be) That would pretty much make us the worst team,not them.

2-2 NC with a treading-water 6-6? Will they free Willies? (wait....they did that already, inelegantly at that) Will the good ship Ferretz torpedo Beathard, removing its face surgically to spite the nose?

I feel almost as though I am rubbernecking at a mass-casualty event at a faculty senate meeting where the bean-counters won. Again.

Euthanzing beloved pets is as much fun as this.

It's like Winston Smith in 1984: 2 + 2 = 4, but it makes ultimately no difference.

Dr. Prof

Well darn it, I thought last year announcers were talking about Connor's draft stock, oh well. If Pitt has a pretty good offensive line their run game could be tough on the hawks. You all saw how Connor gashed the hawks in the first half last year.

But I gave Phil Parker and the defense credit as they held him down in the 2nd half. A lot of that was CJB running a good offense and keeping Pitt off the field but the other is the hawks looked like they took away the inside the tackles running game and then played and tackled very well working inside out.

But I would say toss up game with Pitt now and if Pitt gets better QB play they could be a loss although I do think they lose their top receiver.

Yes, Connor will be back. But they lost two starters on the line (sound familiar?), Connor's fullback and two top receivers on offense. They also lost their starting defensive tackles (again, sound familiar?), two starting linebackers (as well as their top reserve linebacker) and two top defensive backs. That plus a new coach and likely a different philosophy than what Chryst had, perhaps this game isn't as much a toss-up as we might think.

--------You people picking Illinois State to win are drunk and need to go home.

Um, have you seen their QB play? If he gets into our secondary, we will look like 4th graders in oversized Hutch helmets chasing him.

Um, did you know the QB will have a whole new receiving corps and offensive line? They lost their top three receivers who accounted for 150 of his 208 completions last year. Did you also know they lost 20 seniors to graduation?

Yes, Connor will be back. But they lost two starters on the line (sound familiar?), Connor's fullback and two top receivers on offense. They also lost their starting defensive tackles (again, sound familiar?), two starting linebackers (as well as their top reserve linebacker) and two top defensive backs. That plus a new coach and likely a different philosophy than what Chryst had, perhaps this game isn't as much a toss-up as we might think.

Iowa struggles against bottom teams in the MAC early in the season. There isn't a game on the schedule that is a lock for a win. They should go 4-0 in the off season on paper.

Depends on what Iowa gets out of CJB and the offense.. My guess 3-1, the ISU game has loss written all over it. A desperate Rhoads in front of 60,000 and if they only need to score 20 to win; it is just a recipe for disaster for Iowa.

WTH?

Rudock was the reason we lost last year. Now, he's NOT (edit) the starter, but if we lose it's on the coaches, not the QB?

I'm very confused. I was pretty sure all we needed to go undefeated was a change at QB...

Last edited:
All I know is that Iowa needs to beat Iowa State this year. It's come to that. They need to win that game. Years of pretending it doesn't matter, we just need to get through the week, it's their super bowl, etc. is over. That's all BS. It does matter. It can set a tone for the rest of the year. Lose to ISU, and there will be a pall over the rest of the season.

WTH?

Rudock was the reason we lost last year. Now, he's NOT (edit) the starter, but if we lose it's on the coaches, not the QB?

I'm very confused. I was pretty sure all we needed to go undefeated was a change at QB...

The reason we lost is because the coaches. Look at the MD game when they threw 30+ consecutive plays against a team who cannot stop the run. It was pathetic.

All I know is that Iowa needs to beat Iowa State this year. It's come to that. They need to win that game. Years of pretending it doesn't matter, we just need to get through the week, it's their super bowl, etc. is over. That's all BS. It does matter. It can set a tone for the rest of the year. Lose to ISU, and there will be a pall over the rest of the season.

agreed.

The reason we lost is because the coaches. Look at the MD game when they threw 30+ consecutive plays against a team who cannot stop the run. It was pathetic.

isu and Md were absolutely on the coaches, namely the offensive side. This can not be overstated.

Damn straight. I thought it would be impossible to lose that game last year considering the shape ISU was in. Shows how much I know.

------All I know is that Iowa needs to beat Iowa State this year. It's come to that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Saddest post of the week

2-2. I wouldn't be surprised with 0-4 or 1-3.

Yeah, don't have real high hopes for this season.

Latest posts