What's our non-conference record this year?

Very interesting comments and guesses. I agree with the poor record aspect of KF against ISU but just two years ago with a new QB the hawks whomped sheetz all over them. So it is hard to predict but I will predict a win at ISU as they suck. 1-0

New coach at Pitt, new system, 4th coach in about 4 years. I cant remember if their stud RBack is back but I dont think so. I take the hawks at home. 2-0

The iffy game to me is the opener with a lot of unknowns for the hawks. Ill St someone said loses a lot of starters so just because of that I will go with the hawks. I think we will somewhat know if the hawks look really good against a strong FCS team that the team might be better. CJ and the offense will need to come out scoring and I am confident. 3-0.

By the 4th game against N Texas the hawks should be in a groove and I pick them to win. 4-0

The most likely game for Iowa to lose is of course stumble bumbling at ISU. Just think in 2009-10 the Hawks crushed the clowns 35-3 and 35-7 and they won again in 2008 . I actually thought KF had this series figured out but oops.

Last edited:
Anything less than 3-1 is unacceptable. 4-0 should be obtainable and should be their record going into the conference schedule.

I feel confident that we go 4-0, and this is coming from someone who is more than ready to see Ferentz retire/replaced. Beathard has a fire that Jake simply didn't have. Jake had the personality of Kirk where win or lose there wasn't really much emotion. Illinois State lost a lot of starters. A FCS team that loses that much experience won't be good. I predict we win handily. I also feel strongly that we will beat ISU on the road. They simply aren't a good team, and Beathard will be excited to show what he can do, and what he could have done last year had he played. Pitt is a toss up but after a 2-0 start we will have confidence and it's at home so I think we win a close one. North Texas is terrible and there's no excuse to lose that game. I really feel we'll be 4-0 going into what appears to be a weak conference schedule.

Most programs with Iowa resources would blow through this OOC slate without breaking a sweat. Iowa on the other hand, I doubt it.

Ill St & Pitt have more talent than Iowa does so I'm expecting loses there. Some may argue that the games are in Kinnick but being real, Kinnick is no longer a home field advantage for Iowa.

ISU and North Texas probably have less talent than Iowa but both teams have coaches who have proven to have very little difficulty out-coaching Ferentz.

I'm hoping for 2-2 in the OOC.

The bolded portions of your post are ridiculous. Illinois State in no way, shape or form has more talent than Iowa. They lost 11 starters and FCS schools don't have anything close to "reloading". ISU and North Texas clearly have less talent than Iowa as well.

By no means am I saying these games are gimmies because we know with KF at the helm these will probably be closer than we'd like (or losses), but poor coaching and talent level aren't the same thing.

Most programs with Iowa resources would blow through this OOC slate without breaking a sweat. Iowa on the other hand, I doubt it.

Ill St & Pitt have more talent than Iowa does so I'm expecting loses there. Some may argue that the games are in Kinnick but being real, Kinnick is no longer a home field advantage for Iowa.

ISU and North Texas probably have less talent than Iowa but both teams have coaches who have proven to have very little difficulty out-coaching Ferentz.

I'm hoping for 2-2 in the OOC.
The sad, sad truth.

Very interesting comments and guesses. I agree with the poor record aspect of KF against ISU but just two years ago with a new QB the hawks whomped sheetz all over them. So it is hard to predict but I will predict a win at ISU as they suck. 1-0

New coach at Pitt, new system, 4th coach in about 4 years. I cant remember if their stud RBack is back but I dont think so. I take the hawks at home. 2-0

The iffy game to me is the opener with a lot of unknowns for the hawks. Ill St someone said loses a lot of starters so just because of that I will go with the hawks. I think we will somewhat know if the hawks look really good against a strong FCS team that the team might be better. CJ and the offense will need to come out scoring and I am confident. 3-0.

By the 4th game against N Texas the hawks should be in a groove and I pick them to win. 4-0

The most likely game for Iowa to lose is of course stumble bumbling at ISU. Just think in 2009-10 the Hawks crushed the clowns 35-3 and 35-7 and they won again in 2008 . I actually thought KF had this series figured out but oops.

James Connor is back for Pitt.. This is his Jr. Season.

Much like 2012 I think just about any coach would have Iowa 4-0 in non-conf play. But somehow KF had Iowa at 2-2 in non conf play in 2012. I will say 4-0.

I'm sure Pitt will have some motivation from last year to upend us. Mac at North Texas (anything is possible with a clown king on the sidelines). Losing record for Kirk against ClownU and playing at Clownsvile. Illinois St was better than UNI last year.

There is at least 1 loss in there somewhere. Should be 4-0, but this is a Kirk Ferentz coached team. Safe bet of 3-1 or 2-2.

Probably 3-1. Illinois State was very tough last year, they beat UNI by 20 and eventually lost to ND State in the FCS Championship game by 2 points. However, they lost 11 starters to graduation so might struggle in 2015. Pitt will be better this year with 17 starters back even though that game is at Kinnick it could be a pick 'em game. If we are not motivated to kick the sh*t out of the clowns after that 4th quarter debacle last year it could be a long season but I think we win that one on the road. North Texas lost 4 of 5 O lineman so they will probably struggle early.
I always have the feeling we'll win when we play at home. Unfortunately we haven't defended our home field very well the last couple of years. I'm ready to start a new long winning streak at Kinnick.

Odds of winning each game

IL St 95%
IA ST 65%
PITT 65%
N Tex 90%

.95 + .65 + .65 + .90 = 3.15 wins

Odds are Iowa will be 3-1.

if you project this out for 13 games, Iowa will finish 8-5 in 2015.

Keep in mind I used this method to predict Iowa's win in 2014 and came up with 8-5.

James Connor is back for Pitt.. This is his Jr. Season.

Well darn it, I thought last year announcers were talking about Connor's draft stock, oh well. If Pitt has a pretty good offensive line their run game could be tough on the hawks. You all saw how Connor gashed the hawks in the first half last year.

But I gave Phil Parker and the defense credit as they held him down in the 2nd half. A lot of that was CJB running a good offense and keeping Pitt off the field but the other is the hawks looked like they took away the inside the tackles running game and then played and tackled very well working inside out.

But I would say toss up game with Pitt now and if Pitt gets better QB play they could be a loss although I do think they lose their top receiver.

---------If it's a 3-1 start and the loss is to Iowa State, I've had it.

We could start out 4-0, and I've still had it.....having said that, 2-2....1-3 is not out of the realm of possibility.

--------You people picking Illinois State to win are drunk and need to go home.

Um, have you seen their QB play? If he gets into our secondary, we will look like 4th graders in oversized Hutch helmets chasing him.

--------You people picking Illinois State to win are drunk and need to go home.

Um, have you seen their QB play? If he gets into our secondary, we will look like 4th graders in oversized Hutch helmets chasing him.

Watched
UNI beat Ill. State in the Dome last season. Their QB was less than impressive. Simply wilted under pressure.