Whats our first play on Saturday?

The first series will be a mixture of bread and butter with a run first emphasis but the coaches have confidence in Vandenburg and the wrs. If TT plays too close to the LOS, sells out to stop the run or blitzes, it will be exploited, unless they do a masterful job of hiding their intentions.

You guys are treating this all wrong IMO. If this were ISU, I'd agree that Ferentz would run the ball until the defense made him stop. However, this isn't ISU, and I think Ferentz will want to pass quite a bit to get Vandy in the groove so to speak.

1st play is a playaction pass.

You guys are treating this all wrong IMO. If this were ISU, I'd agree that Ferentz would run the ball until the defense made him stop. However, this isn't ISU, and I think Ferentz will want to pass quite a bit to get Vandy in the groove so to speak.

Agreed, Boot right hit Herman for a 7-10 yard gain. More if he can get some YAC. Get Vandy an easy throw to get him settled in.

Going back to 2002, Iowa has passed on the first play of the first game just three times. We did it in 2003 (which resulted in a loss of 3 yards on a scramble by Chandler), 2009 (when Paki was #1 on the depth chart), and 2010. It's not hard to make the argument that if we'd had a more proven commodity at running back in 2009, we'd have run first that year, too.

The odds are heavily against us passing first.

Play action button hook to Herman, hit immediately and dropped for a 9 yd gain.

Only because I wanted to say "button hook".

I don't care what it is...I'm just happy to finally see this thread!

I'd just like to see us get back to making a statement on that first drive. That was our signature in 2002 and it seems we didn't see too many first drive scores last year. We have to put together a consistent drive and punch it in on drive #1.

It will be a run or a pass. Or, maybe, Vandenderg will fumble the snap.

Who gives a rat's derriere what the first play will be.

Please explain the relevancy of his question.

It's about as stupid as asking whether Vandenberg will complete his first pass or who will catch the first pass. Is there really any significance or substance to this question.

Latest posts