What's gotten into Roy Marble?

smoot27

This guy didn't look like he would ever amount to anything more than a role player after last season and his first few games this season. He has really been stepping up his role in the offense and is shooting a respectable .444 fg% this season after an atrocious .379 last year. By next season and his senior year, he could become a good player in the Big Ten.

i thought he flashed last year and showed his ability to do this. early this year he was recovering from a concusion and getting into shape. really he is just a lot more consistent and taken more of the leadership i think. he seemed to defer to older players last year.

I don't get this line of thinking. Marble is at his best with the ball in his hands, how is playing off the ball going to benefit him?

Signed,

Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, etc.

Guys like that were/are best with the ball in their hands, yet they didn't/don't play the point. He's not a natural point guard. He's a good point man, but he's not going to break down the best point guards in the Big Ten off the dribble with consistency. His ball handling has certainly improved, but it's not at an elite level. It doesn't have to be if he plays off the ball.

his h.s. coach commented that he hoped he stayed the whole 4 years at iowa.......or something to the effect of him having the ability to leave early for the NBA. at the time i thought, uh, ok - and still do - but maybe he's on to a little something......

What's gotten into Roy-Devyn? How bout this... a coach who pushes, motivates and drives his players to their potential and excellence... as opposed to one who is asleep at the wheel and treats them like factory workers.

A player at this level should not need a coach o push them to be a better player. The coach brought you here because he thinks you can help the team otherwise you wouldn't be there in the first place. Marble is maturing in front of your eyes....he was 17 when he arrived on campus and he recently turned 19...he is the sane age as a lot of freshman. He wil continue to improve and he will be solid big10 player when all said an done.....1st rd NBA like his pops....not so much

What's gotten into Roy-Devyn? How bout this... a coach who pushes, motivates and drives his players to their potential and excellence... as opposed to one who is asleep at the wheel and treats them like factory workers.

ZIIIIIING!

I'm sure KF really gives a damn about what you think about him buddy.

Signed,

Guys like that were/are best with the ball in their hands, yet they didn't/don't play the point. He's not a natural point guard. He's a good point man, but he's not going to break down the best point guards in the Big Ten off the dribble with consistency. His ball handling has certainly improved, but it's not at an elite level. It doesn't have to be if he plays off the ball.

Yeah and theres a reason why neither of them have ever played with anything more than an average at best pg. Those guys dominate the ball and playing them with a good pg would be a waste of the pg. Gessel seems to be a better shooter than Marble it would make more sense for him to play off the ball.

Signed,

I actually think he has an easier time scoring against smaller players, not that he cant take bigger players off the dribble but he seems to get his shot off pretty easily from the one and allot of it is his large height advantage.

That being said I agree he is not a natural point but a capable one. In the half court Marlbe is fine but to really play like Fran wants to we need at least one and preferably more than one guy who can really push the ball in transition.

Cartwright is somewhat that guy but to really get out and run we need a Dean Oliver type who can just blow by people in the open court.

In Frans ideal offense Marble is much better suited to run the wings.

Yeah and theres a reason why neither of them have ever played with anything more than an average at best pg. Those guys dominate the ball and playing them with a good pg would be a waste of the pg. Gessel seems to be a better shooter than Marble it would make more sense for him to play off the ball.

Which is why the Lakers were desperate to land Chris Paul (arguably the best PG in the game) a couple weeks ago?

I actually think he has an easier time scoring against smaller players, not that he cant take bigger players off the dribble but he seems to get his shot off pretty easily from the one and allot of it is his large height advantage.

That being said I agree he is not a natural point but a capable one. In the half court Marlbe is fine but to really play like Fran wants to we need at least one and preferably more than one guy who can really push the ball in transition.

Cartwright is somewhat that guy but to really get out and run we need a Dean Oliver type who can just blow by people in the open court.

In Frans ideal offense Marble is much better suited to run the wings.

This. I don't know that Marble is quick enough to blow by defenders and get to the rack. A lot of his scoring success has been his ability to shoot and score over the smaller defenders he is facing playing the one. I understand I'm in the minority, but I believe, at least right now, Marble's best chance for success is at point guard.

I m not you, smoot27.

Actually, there are plenty of people that thought he would be a pretty good player. You just weren't one of them. I, however, along with Jon and a few others that I recall on this board, thought he would have a huge upside and be much more than a role player.

I am sorry if you couldn't see that before now.

Latest posts