What's Fran's Best Selling Point?

SheagleHawk

I think it's fairly obvious to most that Iowa needs a pretty major upgrade in talent to get back to the upper half of the conference. As it looks more and more like last years record low wins will be matched this year, what is Fran's best pitch right now? Immediate playing time? Basabe's success? New practice facility (don't know how it compares to others in the conference)? It's nice to be on some quality guys final lists.

PT... I hope Fran can land a guy or two that chose Iowa over schools because they prefer playing time.

I have no info about the new practice facilty but does it really give us an edge or does it just catch us up with the rest of the teams in the conference that already have this?

Its hard to argue with that. Hell give me a LOI i'll sign my kids up right now(who are not even conceived yet)

He probably will need to pull another Rabbit out a couple of rabbits out of his hat like Basabe and Cartwright to have any legit selling points. Playing time doesn't seem to attract today's top high school talent. I think it is much mire desirable to transfers.

Its hard to argue with that. Hell give me a LOI i'll sign my kids up right now(who are not even conceived yet)

What's their projected verticals and 3 point percentages? And while you're at it, might as well throw in their ability to someday take guys off the dribble...

Conference strength - half or more of the teams make the NCAAs annually
Big10 Network - 95% of the games are on national tv
Upgraded facilities - meh
Playing time - self-evident

By all accounts Fran has a great personality and is fun to be around without being a pushover. Don't underestimate the importance of that stuff to high school/college kids. Hell, don't underestimate the importance of it at any level.

By all accounts Fran has a great personality and is fun to be around without being a pushover. Don't underestimate the importance of that stuff to high school/college kids. Hell, don't underestimate the importance of it at any level.

This might be a bit overrated. He has lost far more recruiting battles than he has won at Iowa. Doesn't seem to be a Pastner, Barbee, or Lavin closer type. I don't think his personality hurts, but there is no evidence he is one of those types of characteristic recruiters who recruits just click with. Otherwise, he would have been able to close the deal with more recruits.

As I said, the best bet is to find a couple of more hidden gems, show significant improvement next year and hope the 2012 kids in Iowa have the patience to wait until the Spring signing period.

This might be a bit overrated. He has lost far more recruiting battles than he has won at Iowa. Doesn't seem to be a Pastner, Barbee, or Lavin closer type. I don't think his personality hurts, but there is no evidence he is one of those types of characteristic recruiters who recruits just click with. Otherwise, he would have been able to close the deal with more recruits.

As I said, the best bet is to find a couple of more hidden gems, show significant improvement next year and hope the 2012 kids in Iowa have the patience to wait until the Spring signing period.

Barbee and Pastner are dirty and Lavin is a used car salesman. Fran hasn't had a fair chance to recruit yet. I think Fran's style is not bling but developing relationships with kids as Sophomores, early junior year.

I think the Big 10 network is a big selling point. We are not recruiting a lot of midwest kids that we compete with other Big 10 teams for. In Texas, California, Philly, and NYC we are competing with teams from different conferences that do not have national TV for every game. It's a great sales point for a kid from one of those areas that is contemplating leaving his local area.

Playing time.

Chance to be part of something special (a turn around)

Playing in a big time conference

A top flight education

Pagliai's Pizza

not necessarily in that order...