What would you suggest to GD

Hawkcrush

If you could have a conversation with GD what would you suggest to him to help improve our offensive effeciency?

I would suggest that he consider using the middle of the field. It does make up for 1/3 of the width of the field and alot of other teams find in a useful place to throw the TE. Also, I would suggest the #78>#65 at this point in their careers.

On a side not it was good to see #76 back in action I also thought he looked >#65 IMHO. #65 Is young and will improve, but he makes alot of mental mistakes.

What do you think. Yes, I am keanly aware that GD and KF are vastly superior to me in FB knowledge. So no need to go down that road.

GD has made some good changes with the running game so it seems he is using the RBs in different situations.

I agree with you about pass plays up the hash marks.

I would say use some double crossing patterns to try to rub off a defender to get receivers open since the receivers seem to have trouble getting separation.

I would ask him why not more double moves to plant the idea in defenders that we will do that. Maybe this can help get guys open by starting the 2nd move but then break it off for a comeback pattern. I would think Powell and Smith and KMM can get open doing this. Plus if you comeback to the QB it is like coming to meet a basketball pass, as long as you have position the ball gets to you first.

Oh I would also ask why he doesnt threaten one safety with two receivers and then let the QB read the safety to throw to the open receiver.

I'd love to spend a week with the coaches, listening and asking questions (I'd probably need a glossary to look up the lingo).

I saw routes up the middle it might just be Ruddock not throwing the ball there, for any number of reasons?

Quite likely because of the old adage "Dont throw late over the middle". A little hesitation over the middle is a higher percentage interception.

But it depends on where over the middle. If the defense is in zone then our receivers, especially TEs , should be able to sit down in short open areas for fairly easy completions.

If you could have a conversation with GD what would you suggest to him to help improve our offensive effeciency?

I would suggest that he consider using the middle of the field. It does make up for 1/3 of the width of the field and alot of other teams find in a useful place to throw the TE. Also, I would suggest the #78>#65 at this point in their careers.

On a side not it was good to see #76 back in action I also thought he looked >#65 IMHO. #65 Is young and will improve, but he makes alot of mental mistakes.

What do you think. Yes, I am keanly aware that GD and KF are vastly superior to me in FB knowledge. So no need to go down that road.

While, normally, I would say, "Mix it up a little more!", there comes a time like last Saturday where running almost every single play over the left side is the answer.

Last Saturday may have been thye first time this season we have season "adjustments" made in the second half.

Quite likely because of the old adage "Dont throw late over the middle". A little hesitation over the middle is a higher percentage interception.

But it depends on where over the middle. If the defense is in zone then our receivers, especially TEs , should be able to sit down in short open areas for fairly easy completions.

That '05 NC Texas team ran a lot of shallow crossing patterns with the TE and slot guys, iowa has tried it a few times this year it simply hasn't been executed very well, TE/receivers seem to have difficulty getting the "rub".

The seam route was open a lot last year, especially from the TE position, however JVB had tunnel vision so the opportunities were missed. not really sure if those seam routes have been available this year.

Tape time. Mich and nebby have problems, i like our d in those games, so the o had better show up. Those two games seem to have faster backfields, so i suggest some hard hits at first, then mix it up. I still think mark and jc at the same time, gives us our best chance in the final two. Btw it was a nice job sealing the edge this last week. Props to the tes, ol and bf. I know i said that before, but i dont think it can be overstated.

Stick to Iowa football. Run the ball and use the TE's. That Texas style offense aint going to work here because Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, Limas Sweed, Billy Pittman, and Quan Cosby aren't walking through that door.

We have a TE that is a good as David Thomas was. Use him and the others.

Latest posts