What will this win do for us?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

It's one thing to be highly ranked, but to beat a Blue-blood like N. Car. generally gets national attention.

The biggest benefit for this team was when they allowed North Carolina to get back into the game and take the lead. I have seen many Iowa teams in the past panic in those situations and this team didn't, they responded and took care of business.

Honestly, I think Iowa should have blown them out. They have a few good players but I don't think North Carolina is a top 20 team. But I'll ALWAYS treasure a win over North Carolina and this was a good win.

Who the hell is New York University?

You've never heard of the New York Violets????

Yeah, me neither but I guess they used to be really good back in the day. Went to the Final Four twice, runner up once. For some reason they stopped playing D1 basketball after the 1971 season.

Hell I learned that Drake made the Final Four back in 1969. That's when they beat North Carolina in the consolation game. They had an ABA/NBA player named Willie Wise that played on that team.

Edit - I found a good read on the NYU situation. Gambling is the short answer.

Last edited:
I've felt NC has been down, at least from a super elite status, ever since their scandal broke when ex Tar heel players sued the school saying they hadn't been prepared for life at NC, just about winning bb games. They pointed out the non-existent class they all got A's for.

NC sued the NCAA saying it wasn't any of their business and the NCAA eventually dropped the case and NC avoided serious penalties. But they were guilty in the court of public opinion. You would think the trustees and President of the school would have weighed in saying something like, yes, we want to win but not at any cost. NC has dropped just a tad in relation to Duke, Kentucky, etc. Who knows, maybe even payingh a one and done six figures has also been toned down?

Yeah, me neither but I guess they used to be really good back in the day. Went to the Final Four twice, runner up once. For some reason they stopped playing D1 basketball after the 1971 season.

Hell I learned that Drake made the Final Four back in 1969. That's when they beat North Carolina in the consolation game. They had an ABA/NBA player named Willie Wise that played on that team.

I remember most of that, sigh, getting old, er. Iowa's big 3= Iowa, Iowa St., and Drake all made the NCAA Tourney. Some newspaper's headline read: "Iowa, the Land of Enchantment."
Drake was really, really good then.

Read the article. Could be used as a script for a Hollywood movie, lol!

It's got all the ingredients except murder, and who knows....
I wish I had a tough nickname like "The Chin".

It's one thing to be highly ranked, but to beat a Blue-blood like N. Car. generally gets national attention.

Championships are not won in December. If this team improves then this is a sign of good things to come. I wonder if Iowa will be able to beat UNC in March?

...Hell I learned that Drake made the Final Four back in 1969. That's when they beat North Carolina in the consolation game. They had an ABA/NBA player named Willie Wise that played on that team....

Whenever I hear of Drake the Drake Final Four team, I think of Dolph Pollium, who was a forward on that team and a hell of a player.

I don't remember him playing so much because I was only four or five at the time. What I do remember is that after he graduated he hosted a children's show on PBS out of Des Moines called, "Dolph's Cartoon Corner" that I would watch every day at noon or so. My dad would always point out to me that he was a star basketball player, but all I really cared about at the time was the cartoons.

Latest posts