What will history say?

blkngldFRO

I can make a list on what the 2011-2012 team did and didn't do. It is safe to say that baring winning the NIT they really will not be known as won of the top teams in Hawkeye history.

I wage the argument that they should be.

They shouldn't be for the typical reason, scores, wins, stats of all nature. They should be remembered for starting the flame that brought Hawkeye basketball back from the dead. All of them joined, and stuck with a program that was MIA/DOA/KIA. What looked to be a long and daunting road, they did it in 2 years. They cleaned out the bad voodoo of the past and filled CHA with new energy again.

A big thanks, and hats off to Fran and company. To me this team will always be towards the top of my favorite Hawkeye teams, because I'll remember them as the team that brought back one of my favorite things in life.

GO HAWKS GIVE EM HELL IN THE NIT!

Im going to remember this season as one of the most fun to watch basketball seasons I can remember (Im 28). This will be the season that is remembered as the Hawks turning the corner.

By far my favorite team since the 05-06 Hawks and one of my Top 5 favorite teams ever.

Iowa fans who have continued following this program during some of the worst years ever will remember this team fondly. No one else will at all but that's ok.

I no longer fall asleep watching Hawkeye basketball like I did during the Lick years. This team is not even close to one of the best teams Iowa has had but it ranks up there close to the top in terms of memorable. The fun part about this is it is just the first step. NCAA, Sweet 16, Elite 8, gosh a Final 4 would get us even more pumped up. Alford was wrong when he said Iowa was a football school, this season has only scratched the surface in proving that wrong.

Averaging 72 ppg even though we didn't quite have all the talent in place yet (nothing against the current roster at all). That's the highest ppg total since 04/05, in a strong B1G this year. I will take that - even with lots of work to do on D, as opposed to watching all D and 60-ish ppg, anytime.

Last edited:
Iowa fans who have continued following this program during some of the worst years ever will remember this team fondly. No one else will at all but that's ok.

on the money!

Exactly. I believe this team will be remembered as the one that helped Fran turn the corner from the Alford/Lick disasters. There are aspects of Fran that remind me a lot of a new Iowa football coach named Hayden Fry and what he did to rebuild that program.

I think it is a forgetful season. One with some ups and some downs but not too good to remember and not too bad to remember. Not a bad thing mind you, I think future seasons will make this season one that few remember.

Latest posts