What was the rule on the PAT?

Bohawk

Sorry if this has been discussed, but why did Iowa have to take the field for the PAT conversion at the end of the game? Is there a rule that says if the score is 2 points or less with no time on the clock, it has to be attempted? I don't remember that being the case at the Cap One Bowl.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but why did Iowa have to take the field for the PAT conversion at the end of the game? Is there a rule that says if the score is 2 points or less with no time on the clock, it has to be attempted? I don't remember that being the case at the Cap One Bowl.

But the score at the Cap One Bowl was 30-25, so no PAT was necessary. Since the D can return a blocked PAT for 2 points, any game within 2 points has to have that final PAT attempted. Any coach that would actually risk a kick in that situation, however, is asinine. We did the right thing by simply kneeling on it and not taking any unnecessary risks.

That's right. I was thinking the Cap One was a one point game. There's no doubt you take a knee in that situation, but I guess you just don't see that very often. Maybe tiime to change that rule. I get it, but it's kinda silly.

If you watch the play again, KOK is arguing with the refs about running the play and then Stanzi comes over and tells him something to the effect of (i'd imagine), "Coach, no problem, we just take a knee". KOK motions to him like, "ok, yeah that's right" and then seems to apologize to the refs like he just lost his head for a second.

That's right. I was thinking the Cap One was a one point game. There's no doubt you take a knee in that situation, but I guess you just don't see that very often. Maybe tiime to change that rule. I get it, but it's kinda silly.

If you watch the play again, KOK is arguing with the refs about running the play and then Stanzi comes over and tells him something to the effect of (i'd imagine), "Coach, no problem, we just take a knee". KOK motions to him like, "ok, yeah that's right" and then seems to apologize to the refs like he just lost his head for a second.

It's kind of like actually having to throw 4 straight pitches when everybody knows you are trying to intentionally walk a batter. Especially with nobody on base. I never understood that one either!!!

But the score at the Cap One Bowl was 30-25, so no PAT was necessary. Since the D can return a blocked PAT for 2 points, any game within 2 points has to have that final PAT attempted. Any coach that would actually risk a kick in that situation, however, is asinine. We did the right thing by simply kneeling on it and not taking any unnecessary risks.

I believe it's the same if a turnover is returned on a 2-point try.

I could see the above situation beating a certain coach from Illannoy....

I believe it's the same if a turnover is returned on a 2-point try.

I could see the above situation beating a certain coach from Illannoy....

Correct...there have been some horror stories of Team A scoring with very little time left to put themselves up by 1, only to try for 2 points (to make it a FG game) and having their pass picked off by Team B and returned for 2 for Team B, giving Team B the 1 point lead. The worst part...since Team A scored, they then have to kick to Team B.

Correct...there have been some horror stories of Team A scoring with very little time left to put themselves up by 1, only to try for 2 points (to make it a FG game) and having their pass picked off by Team B and returned for 2 for Team B, giving Team B the 1 point lead. The worst part...since Team A scored, they then have to kick to Team B.

That actually happened during the Iowa/Penn State game in 2002. I forget which team blocked the kick and ran it back, though.

Latest posts