What to make of CJ?

I'll go with 9 games. But not the "at least" unless he wants to play in Canada or you count NFL preseason games before he gets cut.

Unless CJ's next 8 games are highlight worthy, he'll be watching preseason NFL games pretty much like the rest of us.

I love the line "Besides the drops, he's caught most everything".

Yeah, and other than the times I was wrong... I'm always right.

My observation as well. In KF's mind a TE is just an eligible lineman. In the NIU game, where he did miss an obvious assignment, I saw him on another play push a DE back, turn to the outside, and then put a CB onto the ground.

What he is not good at is stretching for balls that are thrown low. He does seem to be good at catching well placed balls when he is facing the QB. He is what he is.

When the Hawks are in the redzone and his pattern takes him to or across the goal line then opposing teams are going to have to double cover him or he will be open. He is the definition of mismatch. Watch some of Rudock's rushing TDs again note that when he is rolling out CJF is running parallel through the endzone. If there are two guys covering CJ then Rudock runs it in. If the low side coverman moves to fill the running lane then Rudock has an easy, safe, pass if he throws it at CJ and a little high. Opposing Ds seem to be staying on CJ rather than gunning for Rudock in those situations. If that changes as the year progresses then I think we will see CJ's TD numbers go up. You take what they give you.

A lot of people's expectations for CJ coming out of HS, where he was used like a WR, haven't been met. He didn't get as much playtime early on because his blocking wasn't there yet. Same thing can be said for our WRs, in KF's world you block first then you catch the ball.

CJF just isn't a big play guy, more of a possession and redzone player and that is the role he is playing.

Hamilton is looking more and more like a vertical threat TE. This is a complimentary role to CJF's. And the guys behind these two look promising too. Opposing DCs have to plan for this and I can't think of another school that has TEs like Iowa.

Nice post.

But he put on so much muscle! He has to be good, just look at him. Look like a great player = Great player. I know he is 4 games into his senior year but the BREAK OUT is coming, just wait, its coming.

Just don't let him and Carl Davis hit each other in practice, itll destroy everything in a 100 mile radius.

I can't help but think his day is coming. It's not like we are loaded with receivers.
I got faith in you, Bigfella!

Lets be honest. He is having trouble catching the ball.
Iowa State had 2 consecutive on side kicks. Was Hamilton on Iowa's hands team at the front of the line or was CJFed? I know, Hamilton muffed one, but we know who the coaching staff has more confidence in catching/handling the ball....

Homer Im just telling ya. If he doesnt start catching the ball Hamilton is going to keep getting more snaps
Iowa State had 2 consecutive on side kicks. Was Hamilton on Iowa's hands team at the front of the line or was CJFed? I know, Hamilton muffed one, but we know who the coaching staff has more confidence in catching/handling the ball....

I don't think CJF has done anything to distinguish himself as a starting tight end but I will say the coaches haven't utilized him in a way that would let him use the many talents that he has. Maybe he needs to be a little more assertive in letting the coaches and quarterback know when he's getting open and when he can beat his man.

If CJFed does a quick tuck after he caught that difficult diving catch last Saturday he would have held onto the ball instead to bouncing it out himself. And the crowds would have cheered.

That was nice, fully extended right in his hands. I didn't think CJ had that type of effort in him. To me that gave me a little hope left for him. Hopefully he will pull it in next time.

My observation as well. In KF's mind a TE is just an eligible lineman. In the NIU game, where he did miss an obvious assignment, I saw him on another play push a DE back, turn to the outside, and then put a CB onto the ground.

What he is not good at is stretching for balls that are thrown low. He does seem to be good at catching well placed balls when he is facing the QB. He is what he is.

When the Hawks are in the redzone and his pattern takes him to or across the goal line then opposing teams are going to have to double cover him or he will be open. He is the definition of mismatch. Watch some of Rudock's rushing TDs again note that when he is rolling out CJF is running parallel through the endzone. If there are two guys covering CJ then Rudock runs it in. If the low side coverman moves to fill the running lane then Rudock has an easy, safe, pass if he throws it at CJ and a little high. Opposing Ds seem to be staying on CJ rather than gunning for Rudock in those situations. If that changes as the year progresses then I think we will see CJ's TD numbers go up. You take what they give you.

A lot of people's expectations for CJ coming out of HS, where he was used like a WR, haven't been met. He didn't get as much playtime early on because his blocking wasn't there yet. Same thing can be said for our WRs, in KF's world you block first then you catch the ball.

CJF just isn't a big play guy, more of a possession and redzone player and that is the role he is playing.

Hamilton is looking more and more like a vertical threat TE. This is a complimentary role to CJF's. And the guys behind these two look promising too. Opposing DCs have to plan for this and I can't think of another school that has TEs like Iowa.

Just a great post.

Everybody misses a block or two, but I remember CJ all-out mauling a bunch of Cyclone D-ends/LBs two weeks ago.

He had a really good year last year on a horrible offense. I'm not sure what people expect out of him. He can't throw the ball to himself. He is also a really good blocker now.

It's not like our passing offense has been putting up a lot of yards this year and the most he has been targeted in a game is probably three or 4 times. For some reason he is rarely targeted in the endzone.
Yet, He will probably end up with more receptions than all Iowa TEs under Ferentz but Chandler.

Hamilton was a 4 star TE as well and rated very much the same (about 130th best player according to rivals) and I don't see people complaining about his lack of production so far in his career. I don't know if it's CJs name or size or what but people expected way to much from him.

I love the line "Besides the drops, he's caught most everything".

Yeah, and other than the times I was wrong... I'm always right.
a66fab1df51f5f30c8c01552b44dc0ca.jpg

I don't think CJF has done anything to distinguish himself as a starting tight end but I will say the coaches haven't utilized him in a way that would let him use the many talents that he has. Maybe he needs to be a little more assertive in letting the coaches and quarterback know when he's getting open and when he can beat his man.
Well he looked upset on one of the Rudock's keepers against Mo St. He was open and the defenders bit on a pump fake and didn't know who to cover. Don't know why he had that "I was wide open and you didn't throw it to me look" after JR waltzed into the endzone. A TD is a TD.

So everyone is waiting for a "break out" game by CJF. I think Moeaki's was Michigan 2009. My favorite TE play of the year was his second TD w/ Chandler plowing the field in front of him. I get the vibe that we haven't gone very deep into the playbook for whatever reason this year. I am hoping that we see the TEs show up when we need them most, MSU, UM or tOSU.

Have only noticed when he misses blocks... seems to be frequent. Anyone have a clip where he has been effective, blocking....or catching?

Well he looked upset on one of the Rudock's keepers against Mo St. He was open and the defenders bit on a pump fake and didn't know who to cover. Don't know why he had that "I was wide open and you didn't throw it to me look" after JR waltzed into the endzone. A TD is a TD.

Excellent point and one which reflects directly perhaps on attitude; thus leading to a lack of substantial game involvement by the Iowa staff.

The whole throwing up his hands in disgust speaks volumes.

Latest posts