What to make of CJ?

Seth53

Although 2nd in # of catches (#7 in four games), is 5th on the team in receiving yards.

One TD catch in four games. Longest gain is 14 yards.

Hamilton clearly is getting more touches and opportunities.

Sorry, but I just don't see a breakout "rest of the year."

The can't miss recruit has mightily under-performed. For four years. He should be dominating.

As a senior, still not in a position to be a difference maker.

Attitude, lack of skill, not working hard enough, marking his time for the NFL?

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2294/iowa-hawkeyes

I'm not sure CJ's Iowa career has gone as anyone might have predicted. He seems to have the size, strength, hands to be a great pro-style TE. But we haven't seen that yet, and may never by the time November rolls around. Some of it seems to be on him: his hands aren't as good as other former Iowa TEs; he's slow, seems to have trouble creating space, even considering his height advantage; he doesn't appear to be able to continue his forward progress much after being hit.

Would love to see him have a breakout game some time this season; Saturday would not be too soon.

He is slow and has bricks for hands. Sorry to say it but its true. He doesnt pose a threat to the defense. Thought he was going to be a stud when Iowa picked him up but he just didnt progress like he should have.

What, if any, roles do you think the change in offensive coordinators, a (slightly) changed offensive scheme, weak O line and ineffective QB play have played in CJ's development? Just wondering if he would have flourished under KOK on stronger Iowa squads.

you guys need to go rewatch the game in slow motion and just watch CJ--he doesn't block. Can't run his direction.

you guys need to go rewatch the game in slow motion and just watch CJ--he doesn't block. Can't run his direction.

I think YOU are the one who needs to rewatch the games. While I do seem to remember CJ whiffing on a block or two one game this year, what you said is simply not true. CJ is essentially an extension of the O-Line and is quite possibly the best blocking TE we have had in the Ferentz era.

He does miss a lot of blocks but as far as the passing game goes if he had a CJ Jones, Ed Hinkle, and Mo Brown on the flanks like Dallas Clark did in 2002 and a supreme/explosive running game then I think you would see CJFed wide open and running in space.

I dont know about grading his hands but I used to watch Tim Dwight in pre-game warmups and he would catch the ball and tuck it in with such a quick motion that it was second nature to him.

If CJFed does a quick tuck after he caught that difficult diving catch last Saturday he would have held onto the ball instead to bouncing it out himself. And the crowds would have cheered.

I think YOU are the one who needs to rewatch the games. While I do seem to remember CJ whiffing on a block or two one game this year, what you said is simply not true. CJ is essentially an extension of the O-Line and is quite possibly the best blocking TE we have had in the Ferentz era.

Tony Moeaki earned rave reviews for his blocking ability at Iowa. I've not heard anything like that about CJ. You think he is better than Tony?

My observation as well. In KF's mind a TE is just an eligible lineman. In the NIU game, where he did miss an obvious assignment, I saw him on another play push a DE back, turn to the outside, and then put a CB onto the ground.

What he is not good at is stretching for balls that are thrown low. He does seem to be good at catching well placed balls when he is facing the QB. He is what he is.

When the Hawks are in the redzone and his pattern takes him to or across the goal line then opposing teams are going to have to double cover him or he will be open. He is the definition of mismatch. Watch some of Rudock's rushing TDs again note that when he is rolling out CJF is running parallel through the endzone. If there are two guys covering CJ then Rudock runs it in. If the low side coverman moves to fill the running lane then Rudock has an easy, safe, pass if he throws it at CJ and a little high. Opposing Ds seem to be staying on CJ rather than gunning for Rudock in those situations. If that changes as the year progresses then I think we will see CJ's TD numbers go up. You take what they give you.

A lot of people's expectations for CJ coming out of HS, where he was used like a WR, haven't been met. He didn't get as much playtime early on because his blocking wasn't there yet. Same thing can be said for our WRs, in KF's world you block first then you catch the ball.

CJF just isn't a big play guy, more of a possession and redzone player and that is the role he is playing.

Hamilton is looking more and more like a vertical threat TE. This is a complimentary role to CJF's. And the guys behind these two look promising too. Opposing DCs have to plan for this and I can't think of another school that has TEs like Iowa.

Tony Moeaki says hello.

Tony often drew special attention from opponents, I doubt that CJ has earned that distinction. I hate to agree with the critics but he has yet to breakout as expected.

besides a couple drops this year he has pretty much caught everything. I'm also pretty sure that Jerry Rice dropped a few balls here and there so lets not jump on him for dropping a couple balls. He has only been the starter for the past two years and last year was one of the worst offenses in Iowa football history, can't blame CJ for that. He played minimally his Fr. year and started to come on in late 2011. This year we don't really have any proven WR talent except KMM and that's it. Teams probably know CJ and his abilities so they scheme for that. Not rocket science.

besides a couple drops this year he has pretty much caught everything. I'm also pretty sure that Jerry Rice dropped a few balls here and there so lets not jump on him for dropping a couple balls. He has only been the starter for the past two years and last year was one of the worst offenses in Iowa football history, can't blame CJ for that. He played minimally his Fr. year and started to come on in late 2011. This year we don't really have any proven WR talent except KMM and that's it. Teams probably know CJ and his abilities so they scheme for that. Not rocket science.

yeah, teams are scheming for CJ. makes sense given all he has done in his career.

how many games has #82 started?

Actually each player on that offense can be blamed and CJ is no exception. I'm a firm believer that no player/coach deserved a free pass last year and still hold to that. Last years putrid offensive production cannot be put on the shoulders of a coach/QB it should equally be applied to every player on the offense as I don't feel anyone really played up to the level of expectations, with the exception of the unknowns at RB, but even they don't deserve a free pass.

Thats fair. But you can put a lot of it on a coach or two that are no longer with the program
Actually each player on that offense can be blamed and CJ is no exception. I'm a firm believer that no player/coach deserved a free pass last year and still hold to that. Last years putrid offensive production cannot be put on the shoulders of a coach/QB it should equally be applied to every player on the offense as I don't feel anyone really played up to the level of expectations, with the exception of the unknowns at RB, but even they don't deserve a free pass.

Latest posts