What Should Happen to Penn State?

How do you deter or prevent something like this from ever happening again if you don't drop the hammer? I say let all the kids transfer with no strings. Incoming recruits the whole 9 yards. But B1G should cut their strings with PSU they need to start from scratch in 2 years and when they come back. No TV alliances No conference backing for 3 more years. The school shouldn't be able to profit from football for awhile is how I look at it.

Exactly, this about telling schools protecting a football program, over all else, will not be tolerated.

I have no idea how many knew, report didn't address that, but it sure as hell was more than the 5.

You are entitled to your opinion on the death penalty. We are in agreement on the B1G booting them. The sooner the better IMO.

NCAA has zero basis for death penalty. This is not a matter of "recurring" or "multiple" violations. NCAA will look at it as one violation.

45 guilty counts over a 14 yr time period would appear to be repeated offenses.
Geesh
LOL

That is in the criminal court system. As far as NCAA, there is no way they can look at it as "multiple" violations, because PSU has not been cited for previous "major" violations.

And of those 45, exactly how many can the NCAA "prove" PSU staff actually knew of them?

You're getting confused. Even other NCAA member schools would support them.

45 guilty counts over a 14 yr time period would appear to be repeated offenses.
Geesh
LOL

Mom_Breaking_Up_a_Fight_Between_Two_Little_Boys_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100325-141874-887042.jpg

That is in the criminal court system. As far as NCAA, there is no way they can look at it as "multiple" violations, because PSU has not been cited for previous "major" violations.

And of those 45, exactly how many can the NCAA "prove" PSU staff actually knew of them?

You're getting confused. Even other NCAA member schools would support them.

NCAA has zero basis for death penalty. This is not a matter of "recurring" or "multiple" violations. NCAA will look at it as one violation.

The courts looked at it as 48 offenses.
Zero chance the ncaa looks at this disaster as one, singular offense.
How many victims?
Did Sandusky rape them all at once?
Geesh

Why are so many people hell-bent on destroying PSU? How would you feel if some slimeballs did this at UofI? We love Uof I, and would about die if our beloved institution were being dragged through the mud like this. Let the state of Pennsylvania go after the people who committed the crimes (including cover-up of course), and go after them hard. Together, the Big 10 and PSU should remove all football wins since 1998, put the program on some form of probation. and give tons of money toward aid to the victims.

Dragging them through the mud.. You make it sound like if PSU ends up with harsh penalties that they will be the "victims" in all of this. I'm sorry, but the university (all the way up to the top) PUT THEMSELVES in the position they are in right now. I can't feel bad about any punishment that gets handed out.

Vacating some wins (who cares, really?) and simply putting them on probation is not NEARLY enough IMO. Not by a longshot.

Although I do agree that a good deal of financial compensation should be awarded to the victims.

The courts looked at it as 48 offenses.
Zero chance the ncaa looks at this disaster as one, singular offense.
How many victims?
Did Sandusky rape them all at once?
Geesh

you're not listening. SMU(the only other death penalty case) got busted once BY THE NCAA. they continued to do what got them busted the first time, making them a habitual offender IN THE NCAA'S eyes. therefore, death penalty. the NCAA didn't see each player that was paid as separate incidents. it was one crime, as a whole. they were told to shape up, they didn't, death penalty.

PSU hasn't been busted by the ncaa til now. the NCAA will look at this as a first offense. not 45 separate cases.

GEESH

NCAA should bowl ban them for a year or two. Take aways schollys. Big Ten will let the NCAA sanctions speak for them.

The 5 individuals that bear the bulk of the responsibility will all go to prison,or are dead. The institution should endure.

So let me get this straight:

The NCAA can mete out the death penalty for paying players (in an era and conference where everyone else was doing it) but they are powerless to act in the face of conspiracy to conceal and enable child rape?

Do I have that about right?

I'm gonna guess the NCAA isn't going to see it that way.

you're not listening. SMU(the only other death penalty case) got busted once BY THE NCAA. they continued to do what got them busted the first time, making them a habitual offender IN THE NCAA'S eyes. therefore, death penalty. the NCAA didn't see each player that was paid as separate incidents. it was one crime, as a whole. they were told to shape up, they didn't, death penalty.

PSU hasn't been busted by the ncaa til now. the NCAA will look at this as a first offense. not 45 separate cases.

GEESH

You can't compare this issue with anything else so spare me the SMU blabber.
Anyone that looks at this as one event, I don't know what to tell you.
Just because the ncaa hasn't slapped their wrist before doesn't mean they can't/won't look at this as multiple offenses.

If you're PSU & you want to stand back and claim this is a one time, first offense, good luck with that. It would probably be the most rtard thing they could do.

If the NCAA does decide to give Ped State a one or two year timeout, to whom is Ped State going to appeal, and if they do appeal, do you think anyone will have the patience to hear them out?

I highly doubt it. If Ped State had any honor, they'd suspend football this season on their own accord. In fact if I were heading the NCAA, I'd give them an ultimatum: You suspend football for this season, or I suspend you for two.

So let me get this straight:

The NCAA can mete out the death penalty for paying players (in an era and conference where everyone else was doing it) but they are powerless to act in the face of conspiracy to conceal and enable child rape?

Do I have that about right?

I'm gonna guess the NCAA isn't going to see it that way.

I don't see why anyone is saying they "cant". Pretty sure they can do whatever they want. Is there precedent for it? no, but there has never been a situation like this so really no one knows what the NCAA will do.

To the bolded: I certainly don't have the faith that you do in the NCAA doing what's necessary. In my opinion, the NCAA generally looks for any way to weasel out of conflict and there are plenty of ways for them to say it's not their place here. Whether you (editorial you) think it is or not.

If the NCAA does decide to give Ped State a one or two year timeout, to whom is Ped State going to appeal, and if they do appeal, do you think anyone will have the patience to hear them out?

I highly doubt it. If Ped State had any honor, they'd suspend football this season on their own accord. In fact if I were heading the NCAA, I'd give them an ultimatum: You suspend football for this season, or I suspend you for two.

The NCAA's appellate committee is who they would appeal to.

I don't see why anyone is saying they "cant". Pretty sure they can do whatever they want. Is there precedent for it? no, but there has never been a situation like this so really no one knows what the NCAA will do.

To the bolded: I certainly don't have the faith that you do in the NCAA doing what's necessary. In my opinion, the NCAA generally looks for any way to weasel out of conflict and there are plenty of ways for them to say it's not their place here. Whether you (editorial you) think it is or not.

I agree that they generally try to weasel out of anything they can (fOSU bowl game participation, sCam Newton)...but this baby has litmus test written all over it.

I agree that they generally try to weasel out of anything they can (fOSU bowl game participation, sCam Newton)...but this baby has litmus test written all over it.

Yep, they could prove a lot of people wrong. Hope they take the chance to do that.

Love or Hate Roger Goodell but that mfer rules with an iron fist. You think there are going to be any more bounty systems in the NFL? I don't.

I see the NCAA being replaced by a new Govt oversight agency if they fail to bring the hurt.

Its always better to police yourself by upholding a high standard of conduct than to gloss over issues and have someone else do the policing for you. Just ask Penn State University.

when did i say the NCAA won't do anything? i didn't. my point was, i don't see the NCAA giving PSU the death penalty.

do i think they deserve it? absolutely. but i don't see it happening. i could see the B1G booting them, i don't see it happening before the 2012 season

Read my original post, there are plenty of threads that discuss what can or cannot happen with plenty of debates on the issues. What I am asking is what do you think should happen to Penn State?

The vast majority of threads often include some form of reference to other responses, but go ahead and call me out. I did answer the question by the way.

Latest posts