What qualifies as the "Greg Davis offense"?

Montanahawk

Snide remarks aside I'm still not sure what the offensive strategy is. KF and Davis seem to want a mismash(I mean a tightly coordinated combination scheme). The offense seems to concentrate on short passes(Davis has said high percentage completion offenses are the most effective passing games) that is "up-tempo", has some typical pro-set elements and throws in some zone-read. There's been some allusions to the Patriots offense. Not sure how this is designed to work but my guess is if they are going to be successful they'll need to simplify it until the players get more experience in it.

This is actually not a bad question...would be curious to see what people say.

The funny thing is, it was my understanding this offense is the exact OPPOSITE of what you are saying - I've heard the focus is on a vertical passing game, not a short game. I did hear the "up tempo" thing, though.

Well if the GD offense is supposed to have the qb make a good read and get the ball to someone in space (as many on this board have described it) so that the receiver can make a move and big play then I hope it works. I hope we have the talent and players to pull it off.

I saw plenty of shorts throws by hawk qbs under KF and KOK go for huge yardage and TDs. Receivers like CJ JOnes, Mo Brown, Kaspar, brodell, Mcnutt, Koulianas, D Clark have made lots of catches on slants, bubble screens, quick out/hitches.

But we need a qb who can make the reads and who can put the ball in the right place.

I made mention last year how good Landry Jones of OU is at hitting the receiver swinging out of the backfield or on the hitch with a pass so they dont break stride and so they can make a move on the defender.

I am getting excited because if we can run the ball and hit receivers at even a little better efficiency, even just a little better we should be much improved.

As far as I could tell from last year, it appears the primary goal of the Greg Davis offense is to get as close as possible to a first down without actually achieving it. My "unofficial" statistics from 2012, show that we were a top 5 offense in this category last year and had it not been for the run that Weisman had after game 2, we would have led the nation last year. Kudos to Greg. That's the kind of consistency that KF had been asking for from KOK.

All kidding aside...Hawk82 has it right...gain advantage with formation and exploit the high completion short passing game and hope you have athletes to make plays in space or with a quickness advantage on the nearest defender. With the OL we have coming back, I think you will see more 5 and 7 step drops this year...we should have very good protection. As the safeties cheat up on the running game...well, you know the drill. When the running game caved last year...this never presented itself.

I think he likes to have a given personnel group and only give a few looks, but be able to execute a many number of plays out of that look. That O has a ton of moving parts and everyone has to know their part. If done well, it is hard to defend against and is the worst for a D to try an adjust to. This is where the "space" comes in and where the qb has to be able to see what is developing and get the ball there.

I think he likes to have a given personnel group and only give a few looks, but be able to execute a many number of plays out of that look. That O has a ton of moving parts and everyone has to know their part. If done well, it is hard to defend against and is the worst for a D to try an adjust to. This is where the "space" comes in and where the qb has to be able to see what is developing and get the ball there.

So, we have to have a lot of athletic players who have a lot of football smarts. And our quarterback has to make reads like Peyton Manning.

I'm glad our recruiting and retention is going well. Hawktimism!

So, we have to have a lot of athletic players who have a lot of football smarts. And our quarterback has to make reads like Peyton Manning.

I'm glad our recruiting and retention is going well. Hawktimism!

First you need for the whole O to be on the same page. The reads are a given just like doing any progression. Last year we were not healthy and not everyone was on the same page anyway. Once everyone is on the same page and you have some health, you can work on tempo. The plays will come faster, because everyone knows their job. So if they are working on tempo, that suggests that the other stuff is coming together.

I see zero reason for optimism in the passing game.

What KF and GD concocted last year made absolutely no sense. I just can't see having any faith in those two after what they came up with last year.

Latest posts