What Memphis Radio is saying..

CAARHawk

Banned
1) Like they have been saying down here for the last few months, this is happening.

2) They are starting to put together their wish list for the Memphis Tigers' affiliation.

Here is what I remember of their proposed new 16 team league. Can't remember the other 2

Boise (BTW did you know they are joining the MWC on Monday?)
Louisville
Cincy
Memphis
SMU
Baylor
UTEP
TCU
Houston
BYU
Utah
Kansas
KSU
ISU

A lot of teams in small markets that are scattered around that are going to have trouble spreading much money among the 14 teams. A lot of travel will be involved among that group. I'm also not sure there would be a guarantee of an automatic bid for a BCS berth, IF the BCS system was still in place with four super conferences?

Boise St is joining the MWC next week (it sounds like), which means that the MWC will have a pretty good conference with TCU, Utah, BYU, Boise St...they will probably get an automatic bid. Why will BYU, TCU, Boise St, Utah drop out of the MWC to join this other conference and pick up travel costs? What says Kansas, KSU, UTEP, SMU, and Baylor, and Fresno ST doesn't join the MWC.

There would be much less travel and the old rivalries would be maintained and eveery team except Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis and the clowns would be included. THAT would make more sense for a league than the other way around!

That would make a pretty good new BCS conference. You have some great basketball schools mixed in with some pretty good football schools.

The radio guys were wondering if that would be enough to get a BCS birth. I have no idea. I keep thinking going to 4 18 team conferences might be the way to go. That would mean 7 non- BCS schools would get brought in. Hard to imagine there would be any other schools that would really be BCS worthy.

Those Athletic budgets would last ONE season with the travel expenses. AND there would be NO TV contract. It is NOT financially viable. The more I think about this the more I realize that ISU is friggin doomed. THis will be catastrophic on their already weak sports budget. Now on the AAU side of the coin they will also be dealt a serious blow being affiliated with bunch of crappy academic schoools.

They are absolute TOAST.

It makes me keep giggling.

Why? That conference would immediately be better than the Big East and the ACC.

Utah, Boise State, BYU, TCU, and lately Cincinnati are all pretty good football schools.

From an academic Standpoint it is disasterous for ISU. THems is some ugly academic schools. Goodbye reasearch collaboration.

Remember, these are just radio guys trying to come up with the best case scenario for their team. This isn't an actual proposed league. Just thought it was interesting to see the perspective of one of the have nots and actually realize that they see this as a potential opportunity.

Latest posts