What Is Your Favorite Iowa Basketball Play?

Northside Hawk

There are the obvious candidates. Waite's three point p!ay vs Georgetown to propel Iowa to the Final Four, Gamble's buzzer beater vs Oklahoma in 1987, buzzer beaters by Jordan Bohannon and Joe Wieskamp in the same week. All great individual moments of glory.

Here is my favorite. James Winters stuffing Rodney English at the rim. This was the opening round in the 1991 NCAA's vs East Tennessee State. The undersized Buccaneers gave us trouble, especially the 6'4 English, who went off for like 25 and 10 that day.

Troy Skinner, however, was perfect from beyond the arc that day. Probably his finest hour as a Hawkeye. But the play of the day was provided by Winters, who came out of nowhere to meet English at the summit on a dunk attempt, block the dunk, and leave a bewildered English dangling on the rim.

It led to a direct four point swing late in the game and was probably the pivotal moment. I have been unsuccessful all these years in finding this sequence on YouTube or anywhere else. Does anyone out there have access to this play, and what is you favorite all time Hawkeye play?

Gamble's buzzer beater ranks near the top for me.

It seems the Hawkeyes went through like a twenty year drought of game winning shots. They only happened against us. Thankfully JBO has spoiled us into now expecting it and it's not quite as big of a deal as it once was.

My favorite is the Mr. Davis classic - somebody spots up for a three, then quickly passes it down low when the defenders turn to rebound. It's been 25 years now so my memory is probably off but it seemed like they pulled that off at least once a game.

Doug Thomas doing the flex after a thunder dunk against MSU (mocking Shannon Brown who did that when they destroyed us in East Lansing).

Doug Thomas doing the flex after a thunder dunk against MSU (mocking Shannon Brown who did that when they destroyed us in East Lansing).
Doug Thomas was a beast! The flex is in here but I like this one better

Now, I cannot swear this being truthful. It may be a re-writing of history by my memory. But. I seem to recall Ralph Miller, with the game tied and one point behind, seconds left, holding the ball for the final shot, and winning. Any old guys out there remember this?

Latest posts