What is worth more for public perspective, a 1st round loss or a NIT Championship

HaydenHawk56

for looking at this team for next year (in terms of the national media)? No question I would rather go to the Big Dance (where you have a chance to win it all) but this team is not good enough yet for that. Will they get more millage out of the NIT this year assuming they do very well in it?

for looking at this team for next year (in terms of the national media)? No question I would rather go to the Big Dance (where you have a chance to win it all) but this team is not good enough yet for that. Will they get more millage out of the NIT this year assuming they do very well in it?

I have difficulty envisioning a station where either scenario has a positive outcome. The observing public has a history of granting future legitimacy towards neither NIT winners nor 1st round losers. The only confederation conscientious to either outcome would be people intimate with the program, whereas the plurality of casual bystanders will grant minimal influence to this, provided of course it even registers in their consciousness.

I have difficulty envisioning a station where either scenario has a positive outcome. The observing public has a history of granting future legitimacy towards neither NIT winners nor 1st round losers. The only confederation conscientious to either outcome would be people intimate with the program, whereas the plurality of casual bystanders will grant minimal influence to this, provided of course it even registers in their consciousness.

Many times young teams that make a good NIT run come back next year blazing hot and have a great season. That could happen with Iowa.

You see it in the nfl all the time where a team finally gets into the playoffs and loses first round then next year maybe get to second round or conf champ game and then third year they make it to super bowl.

Fran and the hawks are building big time hawk-mentum

No matter where we end up this post season, I hope the media narrative next season will be of an Iowa team ready to emerge as a serious player on the national scene. As a fan, I would rather see them in the NCAA tournament, but I'll go to CHA for a couple NIT games.

NIT championship. You win a tournament and go out a winner. Builds momentum for next season.
jiFfM.jpg

How about a season ending inter-team scrimmage...keeping it a realistic goal?

Finish on a high...up and down the court...forget that defensive crap everyone is harping about.

Old thread indeed and not sure how it's relevant this year, but:

My perspective, neither one really helps "public perspective" much but I'd take the 1st round NCAA loss. NIT goes unnoticed once the NCAA Tournament is started. Playing in the NIT isn't the goal of any recruit that I've ever heard of.

Gotta probably make the Sweet 16 at minimum before many people really notice IMO.

If i was 100% sure we lose first round or win the NIT, i choose win the NIT becasue i would rather watch us win 5 games than watch us lose 1. If I was only 90% sure we would lose first round, I would rather be in the NCAA Tournament because I would rather have a small chance at an NCAA run than no chance at all.

Latest posts