What is the Iowa way

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilekinnick

So sad to hear players over the years felt discriminated against. So many of the recruiting stories in recent memory were how Iowa felt like a family, which makes recent events more shocking to me.

I always loved the quote hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Always thought that represented much of the program. I love it when we do get higher rated recruits and also love the walk ons that make it. The state is proud of all the players that do make it to the NFL. Why most don’t make it that far we hope they all get a good education and are better prepared for life post college and are Hawks for life.

I have no issue if Doyle has to leave. Somewhat surprised no ex players ever felt like they could talk to Ferentz since some of these stories go back years I hope Iowa can correct this and be a leader or model for all schools. I like to believe Kirk will do what needs to be done. I wish the program great results this year and will respect whatever decision the players make in regards to kneeling.

Go Hawks

I've never understood the opposition to kneeling. I kneel when I pray, people kneel to show respect. How did kneeling become a disrespect to the flag?
If kneeling were done for the purpose of prayer or something similar, that is one thing. But the kneeling has been done as an absolute contraindication to the accepted practice of standing at attention. For those who object to that practice, it is seen as a slight both against the flag and against those who use kneeling in prayer to God.

Not trying to take a position here, just answering your question.

There have been some players that have come forth with saying they felt racism at Iowa. It wouldn't surprise me because systematic racism is pervasive globally. Shit in the middle east if you are a certain type of muslim you can't get a job or worse in certain places.

But It's still (at this moment) a very miniscule % of players that have said anything. And also just because racism and systematic racism are a reality, doesn't mean that everything they are saying is reality.

Do I think Doyle said things like they are saying? Yes I do, because I've heard other stories about him from people who have worked in the Athletic department or played sports at IOWA. However people like Doyle are often successful. I'm not saying the Ends justify the means, but the culture of "being pushed" is fading away, and for many people, including young African American males, they need a F load of pushing.

That being said - using race based comments as part of your "asshole aura" is a bad bad idea. I think sometimes people go there, because they think the players can relate, because of the way they talk to each other.

But as a white authority figure.... yeah don't go there.

It wouldn't surprise me because systematic racism is pervasive globally. Shit in the middle east if you are a certain type of muslim you can't get a job or worse in certain places.

Islam is a religion, not a race. You might find this hard to believe, but in some cultures, probably America given how terrible the news tells me everything is, women can't drive cars and gay people are killed. There are cultures that even still have slavery.

lol bro I know islam is not a race.. but it's the same mentality and religion/race/where you are from are often connected in discrimination.

And since you asked, the Iowa way has always been one of respect and deference, as well as a willingness to unite as one, which we do when the swarm comes on the field, when we wave to those young people who face health challenges most of us can barely imagine, and when we take to heart the words of our fight song, "to cheer until we hear the final gun".

I have always taken pride in how those from opposing teams (representing a good number of the Big 10 schools) have largely viewed Iowa. They had no objections to our home announcing crews (live or on the radio), who have almost universally treated the other teams far better than their announcers treat us. They have been impressed by the friendliness of the fans at tailgates, as food and felicitations would be shared freely, even with strangers.

I'm not suggesting what is happening now is wrong or baseless. I just hope we can come to some kind of understanding of what we will and will not do this Fall (assuming fans are allowed to be at the games again), and all share in doing it, whatever "it" is.

One of THE most offensive things I have ever faced at Iowa is when our fans have booed their own players. I know what they think they were trying to do. But not only did it look and sound awful, it empowered the other team, knowing that if the fans weren't united, maybe they could take advantage of the players as well. To this day, that utter disrespect has totally frosted me - and not much does.

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, the ONLY thing I want Iowa's name in the news for is victories, individual accomplishments, heart-felt stories of a human nature, that kind of thing. THIS needs to go away - now.

I've never understood the opposition to kneeling. I kneel when I pray, people kneel to show respect. How did kneeling become a disrespect to the flag?
Ask Israel about people not recognizing or denouncing their flag.
The only reason you do so ever in the history of man is because you want to raise a different flag.
People have died for your freedom, but to use that freedom against the very flag they fought under is borderline treason.
No different than some NFL players not listing what college they went to. They do not recognize the college, the coaches, the fans OR their team mates. They have absolutely no pride in nor want any association with any of them.
If this were about bringing awareness, you would simply write a book, talk about it in interviews or something. Start a minority athlete coalition.

God, country, family.

Pro aris et focis ("for hearth and home") and Pro Deo et patria ("for God and country") are two Latin phrases used as the motto of many families, military regiments and educational institutions.

If kneeling were done for the purpose of prayer or something similar, that is one thing. But the kneeling has been done as an absolute contraindication to the accepted practice of standing at attention. For those who object to that practice, it is seen as a slight both against the flag and against those who use kneeling in prayer to God.

Not trying to take a position here, just answering your question.
I think you have some legitimate value to your argument. However, I also see a disconnect between what you say is the target of the "kneel" and what those kneeling actually intended.

I happen to think that disconnect is problematic to the kneelers' message. Why? At first glance, even reasonable and open minded folks would likely to misunderstand their intended target. That being said, before we can justify condemning them, shouldn't we listen to what the "kneelers" tell us their actual target is.

On the other side, the traditional patriots chose a time and place before a beloved activity to show their heartfelt feelings.
I suggest that, in America, that does not mean they have exclusive rights to that same time and place. Especially if you consider the fact that when asked to clarify, the "kneelers" stated their intent.

I think in America there is room for more than one idea for that time and that place. Thanks

And since you asked, the Iowa way has always been one of respect and deference, as well as a willingness to unite as one, which we do when the swarm comes on the field, when we wave to those young people who face health challenges most of us can barely imagine, and when we take to heart the words of our fight song, "to cheer until we hear the final gun".

I have always taken pride in how those from opposing teams (representing a good number of the Big 10 schools) have largely viewed Iowa. They had no objections to our home announcing crews (live or on the radio), who have almost universally treated the other teams far better than their announcers treat us. They have been impressed by the friendliness of the fans at tailgates, as food and felicitations would be shared freely, even with strangers.

I'm not suggesting what is happening now is wrong or baseless. I just hope we can come to some kind of understanding of what we will and will not do this Fall (assuming fans are allowed to be at the games again), and all share in doing it, whatever "it" is.

One of THE most offensive things I have ever faced at Iowa is when our fans have booed their own players. I know what they think they were trying to do. But not only did it look and sound awful, it empowered the other team, knowing that if the fans weren't united, maybe they could take advantage of the players as well. To this day, that utter disrespect has totally frosted me - and not much does.

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, the ONLY thing I want Iowa's name in the news for is victories, individual accomplishments, heart-felt stories of a human nature, that kind of thing. THIS needs to go away - now.
Well said. Captured my mood of gameday.

If Kap would have knelt first instead of sit, it probably would have been better. If Kap wasn't an overall toolbag, it probably would have been better too.

If Kap would have knelt first instead of sit, it probably would have been better. If Kap wasn't an overall toolbag, it probably would have been better too.

Yes he is a tool bag...he has the right to kneel in my opinion. But I agree on him being a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.