What is the difference?

I have been thinking about this topic after the departure of Bulaga, Spievey and Richardson. What separates their decision to leave for the NFL and other great players that choose to stay? Most say that they come back because they have unfinished business and goals to achieve in college. Do these guys not have that same mindset? Tebow, McCoy, Bradford and others chose another year of college. Is it all about the money? The chance of injury?

I do not blame players for leaving early. It would be a tough decision to make, for sure. I do, however, applaud the ones that choose to come back. The thought that something is worth more to them than a big paycheck is very cool. I was wishing that maybe these guys might have been thinking the same thing about the Hawks next season.

Any thoughts??

Anyone who stays in school is not holding off on a big paycheck...they are holding out for a bigger paycheck. Staying in school is a HUGE gamble. Ask Sam Bradford how many millions his "unfinished business" is going to cost him.

Anyone who stays in school is not holding off on a big paycheck...they are holding out for a bigger paycheck. Staying in school is a HUGE gamble. Ask Sam Bradford how many millions his "unfinished business" is going to cost him.

Don't act as though you actually know what these guys are thinking...and throw everyone in the same boat. I would agree that the majority of guys in the game are thinking about paychecks but there are still a pretty good amount of guys who are playing for the team they cheered for growing up and want to take full advantage of the opportunity.

I love how everyone wants to talk about Sam Bradford as this great example of how many millions it will cost someone to wait a year. The kid may have been the #1 pick last year...remember Stafford performed pretty well at the combine. This year he's probably still going to end up being at least a top 10 pick...if not top 5. It may not have cost the kid a dime.

Ghost, I appreciate your input. I am sure that SB has questioned his decision many times. A good example of bad luck and something that probably did cost him quite a bit of money.

???? Do you think Tebow's stock is higher now than after last year? I do, and that is because of his last game vs TCU. His season up to then was not as good as his junior year.

Don't act as though you actually know what these guys are thinking...and throw everyone in the same boat. I would agree that the majority of guys in the game are thinking about paychecks but there are still a pretty good amount of guys who are playing for the team they cheered for growing up and want to take full advantage of the opportunity.

I love how everyone wants to talk about Sam Bradford as this great example of how many millions it will cost someone to wait a year. The kid may have been the #1 pick last year...remember Stafford performed pretty well at the combine. This year he's probably still going to end up being at least a top 10 pick...if not top 5. It may not have cost the kid a dime.

I am not pretending to know what they are thinking. I know what they are thinking.

People do not pass on millions of dollars for nothing. Everyone is on the same boat. They never say it is about the money, but I am not a 5 year old: I know it is about the money.

What is this amateur hour...get real Ghost and go back and look at your first post...I'll paraphrase for you.

"No one ever comes back to school for love of the game...it's all a financial decision. Just look at Sam Bradford...he came back to school for love of the game and it's going to cost him financially."

What is this amateur hour...get real Ghost and go back and look at your first post...I'll paraphrase for you.

"No one ever comes back to school for love of the game...it's all a financial decision. Just look at Sam Bradford...he came back to school for love of the game and it's going to cost him financially."

And....

Do you have a point, or are we just going to repeat the point I was making?

What players publicly say their reasons for coming back are and what they're actual reasons for coming back are are very different I think..."love of the game" and "unfinished business" are metaphors for "I'm not ready for the NFL game" and "I need to take care of some things in my game so I can get rated high enough to get a guaranteed 3 year contract when I come out"...

Bulaga had the health issues with his thyroid so that probably weighed in on the decision, plus when everyone projects you in the first round...
Richardson is a 5th yr senior and could apply for a 6th, but he's had multiple injuries.

Spievey, has sited family reasons and may not like school to much since he missed the grade as a FR.

As much as we'd all love them to put aside their personal reasons, and come back and help lead us to a championship, you have to respect their decisions.

Ghost, I appreciate your input. I am sure that SB has questioned his decision many times. A good example of bad luck and something that probably did cost him quite a bit of money.

???? Do you think Tebow's stock is higher now than after last year? I do, and that is because of his last game vs TCU. His season up to then was not as good as his junior year.

Pretty sure Florida didn't play TCU in their bowl game. Think you're looking for Cincy.

For Tebow's stock, doesn't matter when he would have come out, he's not going to be a high draft pick. Takes FOREVER to throw the ball. Someone will draft him waaaaay too early because of his character and measurables, but I don't think he's got what it takes to be an NFL QB unless someone works with him big time on his mechanics.

What players publicly say their reasons for coming back are and what they're actual reasons for coming back are are very different I think..."love of the game" and "unfinished business" are metaphors for "I'm not ready for the NFL game" and "I need to take care of some things in my game so I can get rated high enough to get a guaranteed 3 year contract when I come out"...

Brilliant! You and Ghost are on your A games today.

"I think people don't say what they mean...well what I mean is that people sometimes say things that are in contrast to what my Ghost thinks...and when they say those things they actually mean something else."

There are instances where kids do come back because they still want to play college football...I think Bradford is a good example of that...IIRC so was Leinart. Both were in contention for the #1 overall pick. If you are in contention for the #1 overall pick and you're making a financial decision you go to the NFL.

Brilliant! You and Ghost are on your A games today.

"I think people don't say what they mean...well what I mean is that people sometimes say things that are in contrast to what my Ghost thinks...and when they say those things they actually mean something else."

There are instances where kids do come back because they still want to play college football...I think Bradford is a good example of that...IIRC so was Leinart. Both were in contention for the #1 overall pick. If you are in contention for the #1 overall pick and you're making a financial decision you go to the NFL.

I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. You seem to be insulting my point, but then you go and make my point for me.

You're no fun today.

I am not pretending to know what they are thinking. I know what they are thinking.

People do not pass on millions of dollars for nothing. Everyone is on the same boat. They never say it is about the money, but I am not a 5 year old: I know it is about the money.

This is exactly right. Juniors get as much info as they can from the NFL to find out where they are projected. If they feel it's high enough, they're gone. If they feel they can improve their stock by staying another year, they stay.

Iowa has 2 perfect examples of this: Amari Spievey and Adrian Clayborn. As a cornerback, Spievey won't be able to prove much more next year because teams will throw to his side of the field even less. The only way his stock goes up is how he performs at the Combine. With AC, I'm guessing he was projected as a middle 2nd rounder for this year. If he performs in 2010 like he did in 2009, he's a sure fire 1st rounder.

I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. You seem to be insulting my point, but then you go and make my point for me.

You're no fun today.

Meh...I just got bored and wanted to pick on someone's comments. I'm fresh out of pirate jokes so this is about all I've got left.

Latest posts