What is reasonable to hope for Iowa Basketball

In summary; Barta is a loser, doesn't understand Hawkeye history, he is fine with Fran squeezing out a few wins in year 9. Fran needs to go, not a Hawkeye coach, Barta needs to go. Bucky O'Conner, Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, George Raveling, Tom Davis. Fran is a a piece of shit in comparison.

In hindsight we missed some opportunities. But my hopes for this season were top half of the Big 10, not lose to a lesser opponent in BTT and make the NCAA. I will consider it another missed opportunity if we don’t get another win. But in reality my hopes for the season have been net.

Next year...Top 4 finish, Saturday of BTT and Sweet 16.

In hindsight we missed some opportunities. But my hopes for this season were top half of the Big 10, not lose to a lesser opponent in BTT and make the NCAA. I will consider it another missed opportunity if we don’t get another win. But in reality my hopes for the season have been net.

Next year...Top 4 finish, Saturday of BTT and Sweet 16.
Won't happen until the POS Fran is gone.

I think Iowa will be pretty good next year if Fredrick and Toussaint work out. Pemsl and Nunge will bring a lot. If Fran builds the team around Bohannon and McCaffery next year it probably won't go very well. I like Bohannon, but a good defensive team can shut him down pretty easily. McCaffery might of been a lot better if he was a one sport athlete. Iowa went undefeated in the preseason which will be unlikely next year so they will have to finish better than 10 and 10 to equal this years team. You can't build a highly successful team around players that can be shut down relatively easily. I think Moss would be a lot better if he was a go to guy in the guard position for the team. He probably is considered behind Bohannon and McCaffery by the coaching staff which isn't a good thing. I think Iowa has a lot of talent, but I don't really think the coaching staff is very good at utilizing the talent. I think Cook could of been a terror on the inside that averaged a double double. Its hard to believe he couldn't average ten rebounds a game. The players seem to be telling the coaching staff how they want to play instead of being coached as a team. I'm looking forward to seeing Fredrick and Toussaint play next year.

I'm happy for the success the kids had this year, but I'm disappointed that we really haven't changed much in terms of finding those missing pieces. A good guard can mean a few more wins and less of a collapse during dry spells . A good guard can make an average player better. This creates a much better environment in the locker room and on the court. We are above average b/c our kids play hard and are smart. They just don't have the athleticism it takes to be better or at least like the MSU's or Michigan's. If Fran and Co can have Touissant do what we think he can, then maybe we can recruit another like him, or like a Ronnie Lester-type. We need big bodies that can run, rebound and play defense, a Ed Horton-type, or Reggie Evans. Time will tell my fellow Hawk fans, time will tell

It's not just "good guards" or "Cook needs to bring his A game!" As an example, Michigan did exactly what works against this team: take the guards out of the equation. Cook and Garza still got their points, but it put the whole onus on them. They aren't good enough to shoulder that. And had it been the reverse, i.e., our guards scored but our bigs got bottled up, same thing. Our guards or our bigs, alone, are not enough to carry the team past "off" nights from other units. And of course, that explains the bigger issue, namely, we have no "middle" unit that effectively bridges the gap. Our small forwards/swing guards, play like bigs, or they play like guards. We don't have "that" guy that can fill a Scottie Pippen/Elgin Baylor-type role. We really haven't had that for a while.

everyone take a deep breath now blow out, iowa basketball is coming back maybe slower than we want.
look at the team we are going to have in a couple years
sf pat m
pf nunge or pemsl
c garza
point joe t
2 guard joe w
than if we land foster and get a couple quick guards. with conner it is going to be fun

Until we are willing to get into the "dirty" side of recruiting like the top programs which essentially are paying for top talent either directly or by giving relatives jobs for nothing in lieu of direct payment we will always be a 2nd tier program. I've come to accept that but I would also be more aggressive if I was the AD. just enjoy the break the games offer you from your day to day grind, enjoy beating rivals and understand the culture here at Iowa will never produce national championships but we will also never be like USC on and off probation every few years.

And THAT is where the "Administration" needs to step up. When a UNC isn't busted for academic fraud "because other students had access", or when LSU has their coach ON TAPE saying they will pay players...and those schools still go to the tournament, and face little to no punishment...our "Administration", and all other "Administrations"...should DEMAND better at the league office and at the NCAA. When PSU and MSU and O$U can be called on the carpet for what are, essentially, "moral" issues, we have a problem. Especially when a Jameis Winston can win a Heisman Trophy amid the cloud of a sexual assault allegation, and continue playing when he is on video stealing crab legs from the local Publix.

Moral blowhards notwithstanding, those are not "cheating" issues, and are mere deflections from actual "cheating" issues. And worse, some of the ADs screaming for those schools to be punished are from schools that LIVE by "cheating". The two "loudest" ADs during the PSU case? U$C and Miami/FL. The fact those schools even have representation on any "infractions" committee shows how much of a disconnect there truly is.

But, should an Iowa decide to go this route, do you think an Iowa will be treated in similar fashion should it be brought before the NCAA?

Good God, now every program that recruits well and wins is dirty? Give me a break. We lack talent, and athleticism. We have a coach that can't recruit, and makes very questionable coaching decisions. Until we get a coach that can recruit better, then we will be right where we are at. Not every successful program in the nation is cheating.

You're right just the blue bloods do, which has come out in spades with Louisville and now the FBI reports. It is what it is the price of doing business with semi-pro players. The good news is that the NBA is now just going to take those kids directly which will hopefully bring some balance back to the college game.

Shotgun answer...I know of twice -
ISU Elite 8, mid-2000s (got screwed against that bee-atch Cleaves and the fighting Izzos)
UNI sweet 16 early this decade.
ISU might 've made 16 a cple other times?

My bracket says this will be another Sweet 16 for the condiments.

Iowa isn't a basketball school only because the past two decades have made it so.

It could be, though. Just need commitment from the powers that be. Therein lies the problem.

If this year is about average, then by the nature of averages, we should also have some years better than this, yes?

We've had 2 years better than this if you go by NCAA tournament seeding.

Good God, now every program that recruits well and wins is dirty? Give me a break. We lack talent, and athleticism. We have a coach that can't recruit, and makes very questionable coaching decisions. Until we get a coach that can recruit better, then we will be right where we are at. Not every successful program in the nation is cheating.

Exactly. Not like have to cheat to recruit either. Iowa State has a lot of success utilizing transfer market. Something Fran despises. He’d rather develop projects like Christian Williams, CJ Frederick, Maishe Dailey, etc. over going after someone like Mariayl Shayok, Royce White, etc. It’s been 9 years and clear enough to see it’s a head coach problem.

We've had 2 years better than this if you go by NCAA tournament seeding.

OK. But if those 7 seeds are the peak.. Then, meh.

But I don't believe that to be the peak. Even with his own recruits, Mr. Davis had teams seeded 4 (1993), 6 (1996) and 5 (1999). Alford had a 3 seed (I know, NWST, but the point remains).

OK. But if those 7 seeds are the peak.. Then, meh.

But I don't believe that to be the peak. Even with his own recruits, Mr. Davis had teams seeded 4 (1993), 6 (1996) and 5 (1999). Alford had a 3 seed (I know, NWST, but the point remains).

It won't be his peak as long as he's still here in a few years. I would make 1000 dollar wager that Fran is either gone in 3 years or has at least a 6 seed.