What is Iowa Missing?

StickUP

What are the biggest missing pieces for this team (and the near future)?

Is it just youth? I can be patient. It was a long 4 years for Brunner and Horner, but year 4 was worth it.

Is it a certain (or two) positions? I actually like some of these guards so I am not sure what to think of them.

Is it just a poor system or poor fit?

Thought?

System. This kind of basketball can't really compete with the "new" style of basketball of the 2000's. It's not a bad system...just need to get with the times.

I too am kind of "dis-interested" with the whole program, but isn't Butler still running this same style of offense? They are securely in the Top 25. Granted playing in their conference and playing in the Big 10 are two different stories.

I too am kind of "dis-interested" with the whole program, but isn't Butler still running this same style of offense? They are securely in the Top 25. Granted playing in their conference and playing in the Big 10 are two different stories.

Yes they are, and when they get into the tournament this spring, they'll win at least a couple games. When they got into the elite 8 in Lickliters last (or 2nd to last) year, they had a lot of the same type of players that he's getting to come to Iowa.

I think the only things we are missing are size, skill, speed, talent, athletes, coaching, outside shooters, legitimate post men......other than that we're fine!

A top flight PG is the key for the development of this team ( and that isnt meant as a slight to Cully, as he will develop into a good player ), a guy who is jet quick, can break a press on his own, and can create for others and himself. A athletic big with a strong post game would be nice too (provided the coach then utilizes the bigs for more than screens ).

System wise, it seems to be one that thinks it can go without a top or pure PG, where multiple ballhandlers create matchups and the need for a control PG isnt as big, but I think at this level, a true, elite PG is needed (look at the issues Illinios has, with all that talent, the only thing they really lack is a true PG, and it hurts the execution/focus/leadership, especially in close games ). Plus, the hand offs are constant invitations for double teams, and it slows movement down ( look at how NW moves it around, its with passes and spacing, not hand offs....that Princeton O is used in the NBA, for their variations allow for the free movement, and even post ups and isolations ) and has become turnover magnets. The lack of post up O, isolations and two man games hurts too, I would love to see May isolated in the old swing O of Dr Toms( or what Bo does now ), plus it would move him in to mismatch and posting up( that was one the nice things with that O, all guys posted up, opportunity was good ). Now, with the talent coming in next year, those guys are attackers, athletic, and hopefully Lickliter lets them play to their strengths, those strengths will play well with May, Gatens, Fuller, and will assist Payne too (spread the floor out ).

Do you guys think that Coach Lickliter wants to be at Iowa? I don't know if I'm really feeling that he WANTS to be the Iowa coach. I mean, you can tell when a guy loves where he's at and would never take another job or even think about, for example Paul Rhoads. I'm just not getting that vibe from Lickliter, anyone feel the same way?

What does he have to show a lot of excitement about right now? Half full stadiums for the #4 team in the country when they're giving away tickets, hot dogs and pops? The possibility of winning two games in the Big Ten this year...and I stress possibility.

Ditto TB! I think I said the same thing on here a few days ago watching them against Purdue. It's sad to see half full stadiums.

Chauncie Leslie type guard is badly needed. I think those that say this offense can't work are delusional. If you watch the game, there are a lot of open looks created by the offense, but we fail to get into the offensive sets due to poor PG play. Cully will get better, but we need a quick PG that can get the ball up the court.

Chauncie Leslie type guard is badly needed. I think those that say this offense can't work are delusional. If you watch the game, there are a lot of open looks created by the offense, but we fail to get into the offensive sets due to poor PG play. Cully will get better, but we need a quick PG that can get the ball up the court.

I think the "system" (I am getting sick of that word, frankly) will work fine if you have the talent.

We are missing a PG that can handle the ball against pressure and a legit inside presence. Our guards turned the ball over repeatedly against Minnesota's pressure yesterday (18 first half turnovers), and we had 6'6" players going against 6'10" or so in the paint. Mismatch.

After watching us yesterday, it's also obvious to me that we have a severe lack of athleticism. Miinesota simply overwhelmed us physically yesterday. At one point in the 2nd half, I noticed that we had 5 white guys on the floor.

We are missing experience.
We are missing depth.

Did I forget anything?

Wow. Its bad when your dreaming of Chauncie Leslie...

Latest posts