What is going on?

SonofaSailor

Good thing I stepped away from here for a few days...why were so many people on the ledge? I thought the team looked MUCH better than they left last year...and I really liked a lot of things I saw from a lot of different people. A bunch of stuff to work on...sure...but hey...you have to start somewhere...and I'm fairly sure we won't play another game when the turf temp is >120 degrees...the last two drives we had guys cramping left and right.

If this team returns to the Ferentz form of improving week by week...I wouldn't want to play Iowa in the second half of the season...

Things that need to improve:
Punter: good god Kornbrath...come on man.
Defensive secondary: a few lapses cost us 3 TD's...
Some route selection...a few more intermediate looks
3rd and one bomb I didn't like...but to be fair...Powell almost made that play...man is he quick...wow.

Things I liked:
Offensive tempo
Oline and Dline played pretty well I thought...the Dline had some issues...but they contained Lynch for the most part...no 70 yard TD run...and got decent pressure...or at least more than I expected.
LB play
Mike Meyer
Rudock for the most part...really only made a few mistakes...that last pick NEVER should have been thrown...

We will see...my win total is still the same...NIU wasn't a cupcake exactly.

I think this is a pretty accurate summary of where we are at.

I would add special teams for things to improve on. Teams with our lack of playmakers can't be outplayed on special teams consistently.

I am looking forward to the rest of this season.

The above two posters are representative of the 75% of the fan base that is still with kf. As you can see in their posts, they, for whatever reason, fail to recognize the trends that have caused this team to be very mediocre to bad since part of the 2010 season.

When 75% of the fan base thinks this way, kf has nothing at all to worry about no matter how badly he does.

FreedComanche

After the sting of actually losing AGAIN in the final moments of a game wore off this is actually where I am at. I think we looked better than last year for sure and if the coaches don't trip over themselves we should meet the six wins needed to become bowl eligible. I saw some good things from these guys, and as of now, am no longer worried about the QB position. We need to get the playmakers in though. Shumpert needs to ride pine and Powell and Smith need more time. I also want to see more of the back end RBs. We need a home run threat and although Weisman and Bullock are good at getting yards, neither of them are a threat to bust off a 50+ yard run. I would like to see Daniels/Barkley/Malloy get into the game more.

The above two posters are representative of the 75% of the fan base that is still with kf. As you can see in their posts, they, for whatever reason, fail to recognize the trends that have caused this team to be very mediocre to bad since part of the 2010 season.

When 75% of the fan base thinks this way, kf has nothing at all to worry about no matter how badly he does.

FreedComanche

Heres the thing brah. Kirk is going to be the coach here this year and next year for sure. I guaran****ingtee it for sure. So what's the point of pizzing and moaning about it? I want to see them win. Most of us here want to see us win. Kirk may not be the answer for the future, I get that. But money will keep him locked in until at least the end of 2014. With that said I just want to see the Hawks improve and show me they still have what it takes to win and I'm going to cheer for that. So you can bang the drum all you want, but in the end, it won't do a damn thing to change the situation.

Heres the thing brah. Kirk is going to be the coach here this year and next year for sure. I guaran****ingtee it for sure. So what's the point of pizzing and moaning about it? I want to see them win. Most of us here want to see us win. Kirk may not be the answer for the future, I get that. But money will keep him locked in until at least the end of 2014. With that said I just want to see the Hawks improve and show me they still have what it takes to win and I'm going to cheer for that. So you can bang the drum all you want, but in the end, it won't do a damn thing to change the situation.

You might be surprised by this, but I completely agree with you. I want him gone, but I also want the hawks to win. The trouble with that scenario is if they get to 6 or 7 wins both this year and next year, kf is off the hook. And that will mean the fans will have settled for mediocrity. So, yeah, I hate the position that puts Iowa Football in.

FreedComanche

You might be surprised by this, but I completely agree with you. I want him gone, but I also want the hawks to win. The trouble with that scenario is if they get to 6 or 7 wins both this year and next year, kf is off the hook. And that will mean the fans will have settled for mediocrity. So, yeah, I hate the position that puts Iowa Football in.

FreedComanche

Shockingly, I also agree with you. I do believe that Kirk's best years are behind him however the only way he leaves outside of medical reasons is if the team gets ran into the ground the next two seasons and I for one do not want to see that. Next years schedule is basically set up so that we should get 8-9 wins just by the team showing up on Saturdays with their uniforms and their jockstraps. I sometimes yearn for a new coach but like I said, to get one, either Kirk will be forced out by medical reasons or by Iowa ******** the bed and I don't want to see either.

The way I see it, we're on the top side of mediocre.

it could be worse.

FreedComanche

I watch every game and get plenty frustrated but I try to keep it in perspective and be positive about the future. I know it is not always easy but I think it is more fun.

7 losses in a row, another close loss and one most fans saw coming midway through the 4th.

This isn't freaking out about a bad possession this is a trend over the last decade aside from 2009.

These types of losses are now the norm not the exception.

7 losses in a row, another close loss and one most fans saw coming midway through the 4th.

This isn't freaking out about a bad possession this is a trend over the last decade aside from 2009.

These types of losses are now the norm not the exception.

Exactly! This is what the 75% either does not realize or they do realize it and turn a blind eye to it.

Look how calm this board is today just two days after one of those losses and, as you say, 7 losses in a row. This is proof that the close losses are the norm now.

Name me an annually top 25 team where this would be tolerated. There are none. Some of you might say, "but we are not a top 25 team". Right, and the above mind set is part of the reason why Iowa hasn't been in the top 25 for a while now.

FreedComanche

At least they were in the game and had a chance to win.Just think what people would of said if we played for O.T.More exciting to watch than last year,give them time I think coaches are on right track.

Exactly! This is what the 75% either does not realize or they do realize it and turn a blind eye to it.

Look how calm this board is today just two days after one of those losses and, as you say, 7 losses in a row. This is proof that the close losses are the norm now.

Name me an annually top 25 team where this would be tolerated. There are none. Some of you might say, "but we are not a top 25 team". Right, and the above mind set is part of the reason why Iowa hasn't been in the top 25 for a while now.

FreedComanche

Freed, I think you a valuable poster here and do offer some good insight at times. I just don't understand what your trying to accomplish with these kind of posts. If its your way of dealing with your conflict of supporting the Hawks but not the coaching, I guess that's fine, its just not gonna change anything.

If "the team looked much better"... or "we're improving" is our new level of acceptance... well, no further explanation is needed.

We shouldn't lose to MAC schools on our home field. Period.

Then again...if your subject line "What is going on?" refers to how one of the highest paid coaches in the Nation, in his 15th year can field a team that loses its 7th straight game and is 1-7 in his last 8 home games... I agree.

What the hell is going on?

Last edited:
Freed, I think you a valuable poster here and do offer some good insight at times. I just don't understand what your trying to accomplish with these kind of posts. If its your way of dealing with your conflict of supporting the Hawks but not the coaching, I guess that's fine, its just not gonna change anything.

Not to get all teary eyed, but I've been following the hawks since I've been about 6 years old. It's too painful to know how good this team has been since that time and to now watch it go down the drain. And that is what's happening. Yesterday the same trends were evident.

In short, it hurts too much to watch what's happening now to remain silent. But I know that you are right. The thing is, if they are horrible this year, I and a few others I know will probably just give up on the hawks until they hire a different head coach. I would bet that would make the 75% happy.

FreedComanche

When did, "we played pretty for a half!" become acceptable for (some) Hawkeye fans? We lost! Not OK! Slice it thin all you want, but the end result won't change. Seven straight. Trending steeply negative.

Apparently Ferentz said something in a summer or spring presser that led some people to belive that this is a top 10 team.

Not to get all teary eyed, but I've been following the hawks since I've been about 6 years old. It's too painful to know how good this team has been since that time and to now watch it go down the drain. And that is what's happening. Yesterday the same trends were evident.

In short, it hurts too much to watch what's happening now to remain silent. But I know that you are right. The thing is, if they are horrible this year, I and a few others I know will probably just give up on the hawks until they hire a different head coach. I would bet that would make the 75% happy.

FreedComanche

Things are rough, no doubt. But I too have been loving the hawks since a young pup, and in that 30+ years I have seen a few similar trends as now. I believe we will trend up this year, but nothing is certain. I understand the angst of some, and not only share some of it, and even agree with some of the warranted criticism of the staff. I just don't yet believe all is lost. Its all subjective though, based on individual viewpoints, experiences, and expectations.

Good coaches find ways to produce wins. KF and his guys have been finding ways to lose for the last nine years.

The only exception is 2009 and that team should have lost to UNI and Indiana, two of the worst teams they played that season.

Good coaches don't continuously lose games on onside kicks and fake punts. It has been a staple of Iowa football for the majority of the last ten years.

Losing your home opener to a MAC team is not something that can possibly be spun in a positive manner to anyone with a brain.

Good coaches find ways to produce wins. KF and his guys have been finding ways to lose for the last nine years.

The only exception is 2009 and that team should have lost to UNI and Indiana, two of the worst teams they played that season.

Good coaches don't continuously lose games on onside kicks and fake punts. It has been a staple of Iowa football for the majority of the last ten years.

Losing your home opener to a MAC team is not something that can possibly be spun in a positive manner to anyone with a brain.

Thank you.

FreedComanche

Latest posts