What in the **** kind of questions are these?

BSpringsteen

Q. Going back to Bryce, did you ever have to go into Compton to recruit him?
COACH McCAFFERY: I did not. By the time we started recruiting him, the recruiting period, the time we were allowed out, was over. We got tape on him, watched it. I fell in love with him on tape. I think we hit it off pretty well on the telephone.

It was a unique scenario because what I was doing, in his mind he was this level, but he wasn't being recruited at this level. Once we called, he was interested. It was going to be a relatively easy pitch in terms of getting him here. Once we got him here, we had to convince him to come. But getting the visit wasn't going to be a problem.

I think once somebody comes, sees what we're all about, they become impressed with the campus, the history, certainly the facility, the new facility that was coming at the time. So he was sold pretty quickly.

Q. Compton is a pretty rough area. You've gone into some pretty tough areas, haven't you?
COACH McCAFFERY: Yeah.

Q. Are gangs something you worry about when you recruit?
COACH McCAFFERY: No. We had gangs in my neighborhood when I was growing up. I don't really think much about it. You go to the school. You go to the gymnasium. It's an AAU tournament, a high school game. I've gone to a number of places where there's metal detectors to get into the gym. I've been to places where if you weren't on the list, you couldn't go to the game at all. "Who are you? What are you doing?" I've come to watch the game. "Where are you from?"

Q. Are recruits ever gang members? Is that something you check out?
COACH McCAFFERY: We would know if they were a gang member and they wouldn't be under consideration. So I've never recruited somebody who was, no.

Is this part of a larger article that no one knows about? It just seems like a ******** racially charged question.

"Susan, come here. There's a black in the neighborhood."

Seriously - I get the interest in an inner city to Iowa story every now and again, but have you ever recruited a gang member?

Really?

REALLY?

Who is attending these PC's, Herby?

This has got to be an undercover investigation into the New York organized crime outfit known as the $lime Movement.

It just seems like a ******** racially charged question.

It didn't come across that way to me.. I guess if I was recruiting someone from the hood, the kid's background would be something to make sure is clean, whether said recruit is black OR WHITE. Guess you could say that about ANY recruit though, whether he is from Compton or Des Moines, IA.

"So coach Fran, what is like talking to black people? Is it scary? Do you ever think they might steal your wallet or sleep with your wife when you aren't looking"?

What any of those questions had anything to do with anything is beyond me.

After what he did to that chair, no one in Compton is going to mess with Francis. Life on the streets is all about respect.

After what he did to that chair, no one in Compton is going to mess with Francis. Life on the streets is all about respect.

Francis didn't earn the gang term "White Magic" for his playing style, it was for his ability to beat rival gangs up using "Magic the Gathering" cards, throwing them like ninja darts.

Without looking at the transcript, $100 says it was JD Miller. Miller's always talking about listening to NWA and he prolly fired up Straight Outta Compton (on cassette tape) on the drive over to the presser and thought he'd ask about Compton.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZi25Pq3T8&ob=av2e]N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton - YouTube[/ame]

RIP Eazy

For some reason, this whole thread reminded me of this. (language warning)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwc4gCVXTcM&feature=related]Straight out of locash - YouTube[/ame]

First thing I thought too, who is the moron asking about recruiting gang members?? It wasnt racially motivated, just ignorant on a whole other level. No wonder print is dead.

****CLARIFICATION****

According to Tom Kakert, John Campbell of KCRG is writing a story about Bryce's childhood in Compton.

****CLARIFICATION****

According to Tom Kakert, John Campbell of KCRG is writing a story about Bryce's childhood in Compton.

Well then ask the question in that context...

Or get a separate interview with both of them? A presser? That is a BS time to ask that question, especially when the transcripts get printed.

Can you imagine Miller cruising down I-80 blasting NWA? What a site? Especially in his suit.