what if

NCHawker

What if the offense reverts to the mean. You know... run for zero yards, incomplete pass, and pass for 5 yards followed by a punt. Next series, punt after 7 plays, maybe a field goal here and there. You know... what if that is what the game looks like and Iowa loses.

Then what? Did you expect the Hawkeyes to just flip the switch and pound the rock against good defenses for Petras to suddenly avoid sacks? for the receivers to get separation?

Will you then say, "They'll be lucky to win 5 conference games", 'they won't beat Wisconsin or Nebraska etc etc.

are you ready for this scenario.... you see this is why football fans drink ungodly amounts of beer.

Yes, I am ready for this scenario. Just last week I thought we had a 4-8 ball club. We still haven't beaten a team with a pulse. This team will lose by 69 this week and it is going to take a helluvan effort against Illinois and Northwestern to win one of those to become bowl eligible.

Look, Brian called a flawless game last week. Petras played great. But Maryland is a MAC level team that will likely finish the year with a .500 or worse record so we shouldn't get too moist over that win. ISU and Indiana both stink and were clearly overrated going into the season.

I still think they are the most complete team in the division, and the division is still theirs to lose. They probably don't win the title game with an average (Average being the last two year's average Iowa offense) offense, but they still probably get there and are within a score of winning. I do think we have passed the low water mark for this offense, both because they are improving, and because the remaining defenses are not better than the ones they will have played after this weekend, and the decent defenses in the division have putrid offenses. Mertz makes Vandenberg look like a first round talent. The offensive line is getting better every week, and that will help in both the pass and run game.

Yes, I am ready for this scenario. Just last week I thought we had a 4-8 ball club. We still haven't beaten a team with a pulse. This team will lose by 69 this week and it is going to take a helluvan effort against Illinois and Northwestern to win one of those to become bowl eligible.

Look, Brian called a flawless game last week. Petras played great. But Maryland is a MAC level team that will likely finish the year with a .500 or worse record so we shouldn't get too moist over that win. ISU and Indiana both stink and were clearly overrated going into the season.
And that was as dumb a take then as it is now. Hard to see a universe short of half the team getting indicted for tax fraud where they finish with less than 8 wins. Have you seen the rest of the division? I know it's trolling but I cannot ignore the bait.

I know you are trying to head off a jinx but I'll say this:

- IU was badly overrated. They kinda stink, actually.
- Maryland is, I believe, OK. They've got a very tough schedule and are unlikely to hit a splashy win total, but I suspect they'll go bowling.
- ISU I think is actually pretty good, they'll win some games this year. Relative to their (apparent) CFP expectations? Lol, yeah, they suck. But in the grand scheme of things, that's a solid P5 team.

It's still relatively early in the season, but I actually feel pretty good about our resume right now. Probably not #3, but I feel like we're legit contenders in the "best of the rest" 2nd tier behind Bama and Georgia.

You are truly in midseason form.

A couple of years ago jNW kept the Big Title game close for nearly 3 qtrs just with their defense. The offense did just enough early to get a couple scores and keep it close. Same thing can happen with Iowa but I think we will have a better offense than that in late Nov.

A couple of years ago jNW kept the Big Title game close for nearly 3 qtrs just with their defense. The offense did just enough early to get a couple scores and keep it close. Same thing can happen with Iowa but I think we will have a better offense than that in late Nov.
I have 0 chill. Iowa's winning tomorrow, and the B1G.

I don't expect Iowa to score at will. Penn State will be the best D we will play until maybe the Whiskey game and the best offense regular season. The offense will struggle but I suspect so will Penn States. That's what I expect. The defense will have to score, set up scores, or set up special teams. My biggest concerns is the offense imploding.

What if the offense reverts to the mean. You know... run for zero yards, incomplete pass, and pass for 5 yards followed by a punt. Next series, punt after 7 plays, maybe a field goal here and there. You know... what if that is what the game looks like and Iowa loses.

Then what? Did you expect the Hawkeyes to just flip the switch and pound the rock against good defenses for Petras to suddenly avoid sacks? for the receivers to get separation?

Will you then say, "They'll be lucky to win 5 conference games", 'they won't beat Wisconsin or Nebraska etc etc.

are you ready for this scenario.... you see this is why football fans drink ungodly amounts of beer.
I'm not sold on PSU either. A few weeks ago the fans and media wanted the QB benched. How will he do in an electric Kinnick. The PSU running game is average. Their WR is real good, our secondary is real good. This could be a defensive slober knocker.

James Franklin is 4-1 against Iowa and Clifford has won in Kinnick before. I'm not optimistic the offense can move the ball enough or generate enough points without turnovers.

I don't expect Iowa to score at will. Penn State will be the best D we will play until maybe the Whiskey game and the best offense regular season. The offense will struggle but I suspect so will Penn States. That's what I expect. The defense will have to score, set up scores, or set up special teams. My biggest concerns is the offense imploding.

Look, I don't want to take anything away from Brian Ferentz, he is probably the second best nepotism offensive coordinator hire in the past twenty years of P5 level football (behind Briles at Baylor). He called a really good game against Maryland. But this game absolutely has the makings of a sub 150 yard offensive performance where we only get into triple digits in the fourth quarter thanks to Franklin calling off the dogs to try to get the game over.

PSU will run that 3-4 and our line is gonna be lost against it. Petras will have at least 3 INTs and will get crushed 85% of the time he drops back. Goodson will have about 12 yards. At this point I would rather forfeit the game and claim we have too many guys out for COVID protocol just to make sure we don't get anyone injured.

I'm not sold on PSU either. A few weeks ago the fans and media wanted the QB benched. How will he do in an electric Kinnick. The PSU running game is average. Their WR is real good, our secondary is real good. This could be a defensive slober knocker.

I'll take their best WR against Moss 10/10 times.

James Franklin is 4-1 against Iowa and Clifford has won in Kinnick before. I'm not optimistic the offense can move the ball enough or generate enough points without turnovers.
True but Iowa's also won their last 5 against ranked teams and in that win Clifford threw for 117 and ran for 52 on 16 carries. IMO Dotson is the difference maker not Clifford. And I agree with you about generating points, but I'm thinking if we neutralize their running game can a one dimensional PSU offense generate enough points and avoid turnovers to put up points against our defense?

I think going into this one we can throw out the stats and history and just get ready for an absolute slugfest with the defenses taking center stage.

I will continue to sacrifice a KFC chicken.

No doom and gloom to me, we play with fire and let the chips fall, we handled this team last year with a young defense and a rookie QB. If they blow us out and put Iowa in it's place fine, I doubt that though.

Latest posts