What if...the 4 game redshirt rule was enacted 1 year earlier?

CP87

Does Stanley come back for year 5? Do we beat Purdue and NW last year with 5th-year Stanley? 8-0 regular season?

I don't get too hung up on what ifs, but this one occurred to me the other day, it was interesting to think about.

Does Stanley come back for year 5? Do we beat Purdue and NW last year with 5th-year Stanley? 8-0 regular season?

I don't get too hung up on what ifs, but this one occurred to me the other day, it was interesting to think about.
Yes to all of it.

Iowa with 5th year Stanley would have piss pounded Ohio State and then gotten absolutely obliterated in the first game of the playoffs against Alabama. Ohio State was soft in the trenches. They beat Clemson because Clemson was even softer in the trenches than OSU and OSU spent an entire year thinking about nothing but how they got embarrassed by Clemson the year prior. But that doesn't change the fact that at the time of the Big Ten Championship game, Ohio State was not a very good football team.

As a huge Crimson Tide fan, I really don't want Iowa to play them until Nick has been retired for a few years because I honestly don't want to see the talent difference of the Alabama WRs against the Iowa DBs.

Iowa with 5th year Stanley would have piss pounded Ohio State and then gotten absolutely obliterated in the first game of the playoffs against Alabama. Ohio State was soft in the trenches. They beat Clemson because Clemson was even softer in the trenches than OSU and OSU spent an entire year thinking about nothing but how they got embarrassed by Clemson the year prior. But that doesn't change the fact that at the time of the Big Ten Championship game, Ohio State was not a very good football team.

As a huge Crimson Tide fan, I really don't want Iowa to play them until Nick has been retired for a few years because I honestly don't want to see the talent difference of the Alabama WRs against the Iowa DBs.
Yeah when you have the best QB, best RB, Heisman winner at WR and the best OL, it's tough to lose.

Another QB "what if?"...shouldn't we be agonizing over Zach Wilson? He is projected to be a top-3 draft pick, and we essentially had him in the fold. It seems like they were Wilson's leader, but the Hawks were only going to take 1 QB. They had offers out to both Petras and Wilson. They were able to arrange an in-person meeting with Petras 1st, and he committed the day before they were going to meet with Wilson. They pulled Wilson's offer, and the rest is history.

All fanbases love to agonize about the one that got away, I am surprised we haven't seen more handwringing over this one.

Come on Ken. We always shut Rondale Moore and David Bell down when we played Purdue and they are comparable to Alabama's wideouts.

Another QB "what if?"...shouldn't we be agonizing over Zach Wilson? He is projected to be a top-3 draft pick, and we essentially had him in the fold. It seems like they were Wilson's leader, but the Hawks were only going to take 1 QB. They had offers out to both Petras and Wilson. They were able to arrange an in-person meeting with Petras 1st, and he committed the day before they were going to meet with Wilson. They pulled Wilson's offer, and the rest is history.

All fanbases love to agonize about the one that got away, I am surprised we haven't seen more handwringing over this one.

Talk about the one that got away. DREW BREEZE.. DAMN..He wanted to be a Hawk,we had our QB and the rest is history. Jake Plummer is another one we let get away.

Talk about the one that got away. DREW BREEZE.. DAMN..He wanted to be a Hawk,we had our QB and the rest is history. Jake Plummer is another one we let get away.
We also actually had Dan McGwire for a couple years. He had a pedestrian NFL career but at least got there.

Brees wanted to be here? I don't think I ever heard that one.

Drew Tate was just on the WUW podcast, he grew up idolizing Brees.

Brees wanted to be here? I don't think I ever heard that one.

Drew Tate was just on the WUW podcast, he grew up idolizing Brees.
He was barely recruited. He had some Hawkeye ties here from family. Purdue offered him and he took it. Crazy how someone like him was totally underated. Never thought he would amount to much in the NFL. But he found the perfect coach and situation in New Orleans.

He was barely recruited. He had some Hawkeye ties here from family. Purdue offered him and he took it. Crazy how someone like him was totally underated. Never thought he would amount to much in the NFL. But he found the perfect coach and situation in New Orleans.
Yeah Brees was a Texas kid and dominated HS football there yet all the instate schools didn't come at him. Tate woulda desperately liked to stay closer to home too I think A&M was where he wanted to go but same thing none of the Texas schools offered. Tate talking about how he got to see Brees in HS and not really realize who he was till much later was pretty darn cool.

Credit Joe Tiller he started that basketball on grass O for Brees and did he ever take advantage of it. I can't name one receiver he had but he sure had a ton of stats with them. That's why Kyle Orton ended up there too.

Latest posts