What if KOK were Iowa's OC this year?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Funny to think, right, given how much heat he took...

I think they are 6-4 at worst and likely 7-3. Do you score more than 9pts against ISU? I think so. Do you beat CMU? Probably. Do you split with Purdue/Indiana? Not a reach.

I am not on the 'Fire Greg Davis' train. I want to see another season with the kids coming back in year two. Kirk is no fool but he can't really want an offense that is doing so much targeting underneath that compresses the entire passing scheme and then hurts the running scheme..but if Iowa continues to attack laterally and underneath next season, forgoing the deeper and intermediate passing game, then I will definitely have a different opinion next year.

Then again, maybe there would not be a difference. It's not like Iowa had an offensive powerhouse during the KOK years.

Last edited:
I don't think there would be much of a difference. KF is still the head coach in both scenarios. This is KF's offense and KF's defense. The names underneath him are interchangeable.

I think if KnotOK was here this offense would run better. There may not be a huge difference, but you would notice in the vertical passing game.

My guess is that GD has been playing possum for the entire year and is waiting to unveil the vertical passing game for the last two games.;)

I actually think we would be better off and certainly less frustrated than I am with what I see with this arena bowl sideways offense. I unlike others liked most of koks offense. Not all but most

I know I owe KOK an apology. There is no doubt we'd have a better record and be able to score more points. Yes, with KF at the helm there would still be very conservative coaching, but we'd at least have QB and WR on the same page. That, and the running and passing game would at least compliment each other instead of being in conflict.

If you're gonna run that stretch zone play, you need to have the bootleg as an option off of that to keep the D at least a little honest. As it is, they can just load up in the box as they know we aren't going to pass out of that variation, or if we do, it sure won't be deep.

Yes Iowa is better with KOK without question.

Davis needs to be on the first Train out of Iowa City on November 23rd.

I don't think there would be much of a difference. KF is still the head coach in both scenarios. This is KF's offense and KF's defense. The names underneath him are interchangeable.

Completely disagree. If you look at the routes that were being ran last year compared to the routes being ran this year there is a world of difference. Iowa has seemingly lost the ability to run fade routes or quick slants right up the middle for 5-7 yards or comeback plays that gain 10-12 yards. The only plays that Iowa can complete now are 1-2 yard drag passes where the receiver takes a half step off the line and turns around. I also believe that KoK would take advantage of having a 6'7 tight end where Davis has not.

This years offense is Greg Davis. Not Kirk Ferentz.

Your right there wouldn't be much difference, but the 1 difference that we would see is a vertical passing game, and some TD passes

Mostly this. I won't say 'unequivocally this,' because our offense is definitely different from the last many years. HOWEVER, I think this year's offense much more resembles 2000-2011 Iowa than any Texas team or Tiller's Purdue teams (pretty much the only long-term success in option-route-based scheming in Big Ten history).

Mostly this. I won't say 'unequivocally this,' because our offense is definitely different from the last many years. HOWEVER, I think this year's offense much more resembles 2000-2011 Iowa than any Texas team or Tiller's Purdue teams (pretty much the only long-term success in option-route-based scheming in Big Ten history).

I agree with you to a point. However, I guess I don't see much difference between being ranked 78th in the country offensively or 109th offensively. The difference is the defense stinks this year which is unable to cover up the offensive deficiencies.

So, you're not ok with 3 oc's in 3 yrs because it would "set them back" but would be ok with 3 oc's in 4 yrs??

LOL

Kirk made a mistake, he actually made two, both coordinators. He went the safest route he could have possibly gone with both guys when he had a golden opportunity to reinvigorate the program with some fresh ideas & gain a schematic advantage that Iowa long ago lost. Here we sit with an OC that is scheming an offense that Iowa just won't ever get the type of players necessary to make it work & a DC that is running a lesser version of Norm's bend and break in the 4th quarter defense. You could not have picked two worse hires if you'd tried.

I agree with you to a point. However, I guess I don't see much difference between being ranked 78th in the country offensively or 109th offensively. The difference is the defense stinks this year which is unable to cover up the offensive deficiencies.
We are +11 in turnovers. The defense hasn't been amazing but they have done enough for the team to win. The offense hasn't put up points to win

Also, I agree that this year's team would be a few games better with KOK, but overall both he and Davis have pretty glaring weaknesses. KOK was great at scripting an opening drive and gameplanning. Everything always fit together pretty well, but I always thought he was rough as a situational playcaller and that he struggled to adjust (once a team figured us out with him, we often didn't get anything going again). GDGD makes some nice playcalls at times that I think KOK could/would not make, but the overall conceptualization ... wooof. I guess I'd rather have the former.

Just look at Wisconsin because they are ranked 78th.. IMO there is a big difference. It's the difference between can you score or not.. Iowa has 23 Touchdowns this season Wisconsin 38..

Out of 120 teams only 8 have scored fewer times and they all are ranked below Iowa. Iowa is challenging for the worst offense in the country. 104 out of 120..

Last edited:
I think if KnotOK was here this offense would run better. There may not be a huge difference, but you would notice in the vertical passing game.

I dont think there would be a huge difference, but I do agree with this. I would think when Iowa had it going with Weisman, if KOK were here, we would have seen play action to the deep post which has worked many times at Iowa.

1) Exactly, and
2) I'm talking eye-test resemblance, not statistical resemblance. Other than where JVB ultimately throws the ball, do our plays look any different? I think they look remarkably similar to KOK.

Latest posts