What if Bryce had been healthy all year?

Interesting perspective on Marble. IMO, it seemed like Marble caught the first few conference teams off guard and after watching film, they adjusted to his game, thus the decline in production. I also think he got worn down a bit, as he was asked to do a lot with Cartwright out (on both ends). No doubt playing PG helped his overall game IQ, but I think it may have stunted his scoring a bit, but just my opinion.

Agree with 1977Hawk that a healthy Cartwright wouldn't have made the difference against Creighton, Clemson, Campbell (maybe UNI) or ISU. We lost those games with poor defense, rebounding and shooting.

Interesting perspective on Marble. IMO, it seemed like Marble caught the first few conference teams off guard and after watching film, they adjusted to his game, thus the decline in production. I also think he got worn down a bit, as he was asked to do a lot with Cartwright out (on both ends). No doubt playing PG helped his overall game IQ, but I think it may have stunted his scoring a bit, but just my opinion.

Agree with 1977Hawk that a healthy Cartwright wouldn't have made the difference against Creighton, Clemson, Campbell (maybe UNI) or ISU. We lost those games with poor defense, rebounding and shooting.

Agreed. He looked really good at pg the first few games and then teams adjusted and it was obvious he was out of position.

Nobody, especially not theehawkeye, knows to what extent injuries were affecting him, it was certainly a major factor though as they were enough to hold him out of quite a few games.

The only time this team really played well, with the exception of a few games was when Cartwright played well.

If BC would have been healthy, I don't think Marble would have had a break out season like he did. Much of that came from the PG position while BC was out. DM gained a lot of confidence playing the point. It bodes well for the future. Marble will be able to lighten the load of the freshmen guards next year if needed. I think there was a silver lining for sure with BC being out some this year.

This. /thread.

Let me ask you this, if you and your buddies go down to the court to play a pick up game do you always make your shots? Are you 100% shooter? Do you never turnover the ball? Plain and simple Basketball is a game of rhythm and sometimes its just not there. Unlike football or some other team sports it can be much more on one guy. Even in the pros the "superstars" have their off nights that's just the way it is, the difference is some more than others.

Damn MAN you are right on!!

Has anyone on this board even played competitive BB at any level? (HS... JC NAIA, D3...) let alone pick-up in a 'hood?

You got it right.

umm see remohawk post above.....

and then imagine you ever played BB...

and all of us know that it was a blessing in disguise with BC's injury's and Dev Marble's development.

See above for thread gone wild.

I actually discussed this in the newsroom today. I think the main reason for Marble's decline was that teams didn't respect his long ball, and he gave them no reason to. Defenders just sat back for the drive. He said that was something he and Fran discussed recently, and so he started looking to take more shots from behind the arc, and had a great deal of success with that over the past couple weeks.

Superstars don't have 7 crap games to 1 good.

Who said he was a superstar? Good players who are playing through injuries can have a lot of subpar games. Cartwright, at his best, is good. He's not a superstar like Kendall Marshall.

What if Bryce had been healthy all year? What if Basabe hadn't had a Sophomore slump? What if Hubbard had been playing? What if May hadn't had injuries?

What do I get out of all those what ifs? All those questions had a negative outcome for Iowa yet they still made the NIT. All players are expected to be here, healthy, and improved next fall. Imagine if that happens?

Who said he was a superstar? Good players who are playing through injuries can have a lot of subpar games. Cartwright, at his best, is good. He's not a superstar like Kendall Marshall.

Haha exactly, I know I didn't say he was, just an observation, Kobe doesn't score 20 every single freaking night, now he does the majority of the time and that makes him a superstar. Hell just recently he broke his nose and the first night out with the mask he wasn't the same as usual and had a sub-par Kobe game.

Let me ask you this, if you and your buddies go down to the court to play a pick up game do you always make your shots? Are you 100% shooter? Do you never turnover the ball? Plain and simple Basketball is a game of rhythm and sometimes its just not there. Unlike football or some other team sports it can be much more on one guy. Even in the pros the "superstars" have their off nights that's just the way it is, the difference is some more than others.

Don't kid yourself Remo. TheeHawkeye has not seen the court since he was cut from his 7th grade team.

Latest posts