What I wrote about Aaron White this summer

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Here were my thoughts on White back on June 28th:

Aaron White: (19pts) I will start with him because he was my favorite player to watch of the night…that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the 39 points and numerous dunks that his teammate Melsahn Basabe put up, or the trey’s Josh Oglesby made, or the ball handling display Anthony Hubbard showed me…
It’s just White has piqued my interest since seeing his high school highlight videos and reading about how well he performed his senior year.

Here is the word that kept coming into my mind as I watched him play: nuisance. He is a nuisance and a pest…if you are the opponent. Why? Because he rarely stops moving, even in summer league…now, there were times where he sat on the wing, but it was mostly catching his breath as the PTL world is nothing like the real world of college basketball, unless you played for Paul Westhead and Loyola-Marymount in the 1980′s.

He was continually in motion, mostly without the ball. When he got the ball, no matter where he was, his first instinct was to pivot and face the basket. There were a few back in, back to the basket attempts I saw but that was mostly due to his recognizing a smaller defender on him…there were such instances with Eric May on his hip and White didn’t back down at all.

When I watched his videos this winter and spring, I kept thinking ‘poor man’s Robbie Hummel’, mostly because he doesn’t have the outside shooting prowess Hummel showed at that age. However, Hummel is real good without the basketball, even a decent screener for someone that is such a good shooter. That’s what I see in White. I think he has a chance to be a real key contributor during his career. He can fill some minutes and needs next year, but I don’t think he will come into his own until late in his sophomore season or at the start of his junior season…he needs to add some bulk for the Big Ten game.

One more name popped into my head when I watched his constant motion; Ryan Bowen. Bowen really blossomed his junior year after being mostly an afterthought his first two seasons…White is more talented than Bowen was entering his freshman year in college, however.

I had forgotten the part I threw in there about Bowen...because watching him tonight, Bowen's name kept coming into my head...the junior Ryan Bowen.

I hope Meyer and Woodbury are the same way next year. If they come in as freshmen with this kind of energy we are going to love watching this team.

All White needs to do is work out and develop that upper body. That is the only difference between playing Chicago State versus the Big Ten.

I hope Meyer and Woodbury are the same way next year. If they come in as freshmen with this kind of energy we are going to love watching this team.

All White needs to do is work out and develop that upper body. That is the only difference between playing Chicago State versus the Big Ten.

That and all the other ones.

Jon, you are right on White, he really appears to be a combination of many players Iowa has had in the past, like Basabe. The thing is each of these players are going to set the standard for future players. White has been the most intrigueing recruit for me in some time.
This was one game, but even if he has some bad games from this point on and he will, he has shown skills that Iowa desperately needs from a 6-8 kid. Over time he is going to get better at everything as he goes through conditioning and weight training. Does he remind anyone of Matt Steigenga (sp?) from MSU, but not as athletic?

The player A. White reminds me of most is Matt Bullard. I remember the first game I saw Bullard play in where he went 5-5 on 3 pointers. That was the way I felt on Friday night watching Aaron. I don't really agree about Ryan Bowen since to me he never had the grace and ease that AW shows already. You have to love a kid who can go along the baseline and throw down the ball with both hands, get rebounds, and shoot from outside the arc with a lot of confidence. Just like they said that Hakeem loved Matt Bullard when they both played for the Rockets, our inside guys are going to love White and Oglesby. I liked seeing that Oglesby is not just a 3 pt. shooter. He looks to get inside for pullup jump shots, showing a dimension many of our best 3 pt. shooters did not have right off or even as seniors. I am very pleased with our new recruits.

The player A. White reminds me of most is Matt Bullard. I remember the first game I saw Bullard play in where he went 5-5 on 3 pointers. That was the way I felt on Friday night watching Aaron. I don't really agree about Ryan Bowen since to me he never had the grace and ease that AW shows already. You have to love a kid who can go along the baseline and throw down the ball with both hands, get rebounds, and shoot from outside the arc with a lot of confidence. Just like they said that Hakeem loved Matt Bullard when they both played for the Rockets, our inside guys are going to love White and Oglesby. I liked seeing that Oglesby is not just a 3 pt. shooter. He looks to get inside for pullup jump shots, showing a dimension many of our best 3 pt. shooters did not have right off or even as seniors. I am very pleased with our new recruits.

No offense to any former Hawks but Whitey has more upside than Settles, Bowen, Worley, or Bullard. He has the most complete game of any Hawkeye I've ever seen. The guy could realistically play almost any position on the floor. I'm not saying he's the best of all time but he has the most rounded game.

No offense to any former Hawks but Whitey has more upside than Settles, Bowen, Worley, or Bullard. He has the most complete game of any Hawkeye I've ever seen. The guy could realistically play almost any position on the floor. I'm not saying he's the best of all time but he has the most rounded game.

I agree with you on everyone except for Settles, he was the real deal before his back problems surfaced. Settles would have been a sure-fire 1st team all-conference player had he not gotten hurt. If White turns into Settles without the injuries, then Iowa will have a great one.
Settles is one that is forgotten at times because of his injury, and one that I forgot about when thinking of who White reminds me of. White is longer than Settles and definitely weighs less. Settles was a man down low from day one on the boards, White seems to need to improve in that area some.
Like I said, agree with you on everyone esle, except Settles, don't forget how good he was until the injuries.

He reminds me of a taller Jake Kelly during Kelly's 2nd year. He is a gym rat, a baller and a heady player. He will be in the starting lineup come Big10 season. I just hope that Basabe is alongside him.

My starting 5 would be:

Cartwright
Marble
Gatens
Basabe
White

That's a tall enough team where we won't get dominated on the inside and it posses a HUGE matchup problem for the opposing team. Early in the game, I get the ball to Basabe and White and let them take it at their big man. Get their big man in foul trouble early and the game is over before it even starts.

If you want to go taller then move Pick one of the C's and move White to the 3 and sit Gatens.

I had forgotten the part I threw in there about Bowen...because watching him tonight, Bowen's name kept coming into my head...the junior Ryan Bowen.

The main difference is Aaron really looks to score everytime he touches it. Bowen was unselfish to a fault early in his career.

The thing I love about White is he really UNDERSTANDS the game of basketball. Has an awereness I have not seen from a rookie Iowa player in a long long time. I believe he is going to be very very good. I saw glimses of Christ Street in his game. The kid likes to bang even though he is skinny as hell.

I agree with you on everyone except for Settles, he was the real deal before his back problems surfaced. Settles would have been a sure-fire 1st team all-conference player had he not gotten hurt. If White turns into Settles without the injuries, then Iowa will have a great one.
Settles is one that is forgotten at times because of his injury, and one that I forgot about when thinking of who White reminds me of. White is longer than Settles and definitely weighs less. Settles was a man down low from day one on the boards, White seems to need to improve in that area some.
Like I said, agree with you on everyone esle, except Settles, don't forget how good he was until the injuries.

Settles was a beast. He was very active. He was more physical than White but White seems a bit more polished than Settles was as a frosh. I loved me some Settles but the six pump fakes before every shot were kind of exhausting to watch.

He reminds me of Adam Morrison, JJ Reddick, Fred Hoiberg, Kevin Love, Tyler Hansbrough, Greg Brunner mixed with Brian Scalabrine...And I didn't even see the game.

Latest posts