What has happened to the Selection Sunday show?

EstronHawkKing

How did CBS let TBS just take over?!?! That set they now have was awful, it was like they were standing in a large, dark hole. Not a huge fan of the TBS guys as well, especially Charles Barkley. Their NBA guys. Only postive is that we get games on CBS, TBS & TNT. Even the championship game/Final 4 is now on TBS. Don't understand how CBS could surrender this?

I don't understand why the selection committee couldn't have put a B1G team in each region instead of lumping two together. Bogus.

How did CBS let TBS just take over?!?! That set they now have was awful, it was like they were standing in a large, dark hole. Not a huge fan of the TBS guys as well, especially Charles Barkley. Their NBA guys. Only postive is that we get games on CBS, TBS & TNT. Even the championship game/Final 4 is now on TBS. Don't understand how CBS could surrender this?

Don't quote me on this but back in 2016 when Turner and CBS finalized the extensions on its deal with the NCAA I believe the agreement was that CBS has broadcast rights to Final 4 and championship game in odd numbered years and Turner has the rights in even numbered years and they split regional semis and finals every year. And when the network has the broadcast rights to the Final 4 they also get the Selection Show.

Basically what it comes down to is money. The NCAA wanted every tournament game televised live which is great but CBS obviously couldn't do that on its own. So Turner was able to step in in 2011 and get 1st and 2nd round games but part of the deal was that they would eventually get the big games down the line. Now we are seeing that in full force. And of the course the NCAA is the real winner here because more games televised live equals more money from CBS and Turner going into their pockets.

This is the only weekend a year I think to myself "what the f*** is TruTV"
These guys are actually pretty funny and entertaining. The magician guy is funny as well

download-91.jpg

Just absolute load of crap IMO. Ever since CBS dealt with Turner the whole viewing thing has gotten much worse. Loved being guaranteed your local team's game would be on CBS. Not fricken False TV.

I think the constant bracket leaks on the Twitter forced them to try something different. Probably would have been better to maybe have four brackets made with watermarks, give fake ones to leakers and ruin the credibility of Twitter and sue the leakers based on the water marks. That's what all the investment banks used to do - they'd watermark memos about job cuts and then when the memo got leaked, they could easily figure out who to fire next without severance.

What a lame presentation it was. At first the audio and video weren't in sync. I miss the revealing of the brackets one region at a time.

It's amazing how many great "products" have been completely f-ed up for no apparent reason.

A lot of times, shit doesn't need changed. Many times, stupid changes are made because companies have people hired implement ideas or changes, so they have to come up with something to show their worth. Happens a lot in IT. Look how many times a nicely running web page turns into crap because some programmer is hired to change something. This or a program you are using that is working flawlessly to all of a sudden is less user friendly or littered with bugs. If (S)he never changes anything, it doesn't look like they are doing anything.

This is not isolated to IT by any means. Happens in general production as well.

Just absolute load of crap IMO. Ever since CBS dealt with Turner the whole viewing thing has gotten much worse. Loved being guaranteed your local team's game would be on CBS. Not fricken False TV.

No, the actual viewing of the games has gotten much better since more stations. At least you can pretty much watch all of your teams games, WHEN YOU MAKE HE TOURNAMENT IOWA!!

You are probably too young to remember. Back in the 1980's, all games were only on CBS, so you'd only get to watch parts of your game or the last half or something. This especially in the early rounds. I could give a rip if the earlier rounds were on TruTV or TBS, etc.. At least you get to see the entire game.

No, the actual viewing of the games has gotten much better since more stations. At least you can pretty much watch all of your teams games, WHEN YOU MAKE HE TOURNAMENT IOWA!!

You are probably too young to remember. Back in the 1980's, all games were only on CBS, so you'd only get to watch parts of your game or the last half or something. This especially in the early rounds. I could give a rip if the earlier rounds were on TruTV or TBS, etc.. At least you get to see the entire game.

Too young...no. I don't remember a Hawk tourney game being cut off on CBS as they were our local broadcast team. Where do you get that?

Too young...no. I don't remember a Hawk tourney game being cut off on CBS as they were our local broadcast team. Where do you get that?

I'm sure people on here will remember. You would miss some of the game unless you watched the little 1 X 1 inch screen of your game on the top banner. If a game went over or worse, in over time prior to your team's game, you'd miss the start until that OT game got over. It sucked.

I'm sure people on here will remember. You would miss some of the game unless you watched the little 1 X 1 inch screen of your game on the top banner. If a game went over or worse, in over time prior to your team's game, you'd miss the start until that OT game got over. It sucked.

I remember this clearly. what they have going on right now is pure awesome-ness. Its 100% the most exciting 4 days of the year.

Ever since Turner NCAA tourney broadcast is garbage.

Disagree. Love being able to watch the game of my choosing between the 4 stations.

I didn’t watch the selection show but saw a tweet that ratings were way down so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go back to prior format.

Disagree. Love being able to watch the game of my choosing between the 4 stations.

I didn’t watch the selection show but saw a tweet that ratings were way down so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go back to prior format.

Agreed! Now I can pick which game I want instead of being forced to watch Kansas rout Florida A&M or someone for an hour before they finally switch to another game. That's what we had when it was just CBS. And living in Florida, might not have been able to even watch the Hawks if they were in it due to regional considerations. Another game gets tight? Upset brewing? Just switch to it and enjoy. Perfect.

As for the selection show, hard to fathom how you mess that up so badly. The traditional 30 minute format CBS always used to have with the reveal was perfect IMO. Don't mess with what wasn't broken to begin with.