What happens....

As long as the remaining hardware in his knee doesn't irritate the IT band, etc. Or cause scar tissue issues. Otherwise it's rinse and repeat. Am I correct he still has a plate and screws in there?

His knee joint has unsual stress put on it because his femur came into the knee joint at an odd angle. Re-routing the femur (by breaking it) was the first radical procedure. It won't be the last.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure. I have torn meniscus in both knees. Consultations with Ortho have led to the decision of no surgery-for now.

I don't believe there is any hardware left in Pemsl's knee save whatever fixation devices they used for his ACL reconstruction. If so, he shouldn't have any problems related to his prior injuries for decades. I think he'll either be a starter or 6th man of the year contender.

Nunge and Pemsl will need to generate Cook's production between the two of them...a tall order. Nunge is the big question mark right now. He's a much better outside shooter than Cook, so that adds to the offense. The big question is whether we can get inside scoring also.

Between a healthy Pemsl and a bulked up Nunge, I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't surpass Cook's production. Combined I'm thinking 18-20ppg and 10-12rpg from them as a baseline. Nunge has all the tools to be a monster, he just needs a bit of seasoning. Pemsl gave us a glimpse of his expanded post game playing ISU with some smooth looking jumpers like he used to shoot in high school.

What I am more concerned about is if anyone is ready to take over Baer's spot. Baer is instant energy and solid defense off the bench. Can Patrick step in day one and provide that kind of lift?

Between a healthy Pemsl and a bulked up Nunge, I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't surpass Cook's production. Combined I'm thinking 18-20ppg and 10-12rpg from them as a baseline. Nunge has all the tools to be a monster, he just needs a bit of seasoning. Pemsl gave us a glimpse of his expanded post game playing ISU with some smooth looking jumpers like he used to shoot in high school.

What I am more concerned about is if anyone is ready to take over Baer's spot. Baer is instant energy and solid defense off the bench. Can Patrick step in day one and provide that kind of lift?

You may be on to something regarding the combined production of Pemsl & Nunge for next season. Below is a quick translation of stats based on last year's numbers for both and comparing them to Cook's per game average this season.

Pemsl & Nunge combined per 40 last year: (80 minute average of production):
  • 28.3 PTS
  • 18 REB
  • 6.2 AST

Now let's translate that into say 45 MPG (22.5 MPG for each):
  • 15.9 PTS
  • 10.1 REB
  • 3.5 AST
Cook's per game averages this year(30.9 MPG):
  • 17.3 PTS
  • 8.3 REB
  • 2.7 AST
Based on the estimate of about 45 MPG combined for Pemsl & Nunge next year, you could say they should be able to cover Cook's production. This is not taking into account that both could post better production per minute than they did last year with Cook no longer present. All of this keeping in mind of course that this is also comparing the production of two players to that of one and merely based on the use of the assumption they will average 45 MPG.

As for your Baer comment, I agree. He has been a staple coming off the bench the last 4 years. That's quite the luxury for Fran to have had. Pemsl (assuming Nunge starts)would be my best guess on who would fill that "instant energy" role based on the emotion he plays with. Connor has the chance to be that as well on the perimeter side of things. Hopefully at least one of the incoming guys can step in and help contribute solid minutes as well.

I don't believe there is any hardware left in Pemsl's knee save whatever fixation devices they used for his ACL reconstruction. If so, he shouldn't have any problems related to his prior injuries for decades. I think he'll either be a starter or 6th man of the year contender.

As much as I love Baer I think he struggles with help defense. Not that he doesn't help enough, but that he helps too much and leaves his guy open far too often. Was hoping to see less of that this year with the added emphasis on defense but I feel it's unchanged.

As much as I love Baer I think he struggles with help defense. Not that he doesn't help enough, but that he helps too much and leaves his guy open far too often. Was hoping to see less of that this year with the added emphasis on defense but I feel it's unchanged.

There was one possession last night where Baer left his man on the wing because Baer anticipated the NW guard was going to dribble around Moss. The wing made the 3 and Moss looked at Baer with a "Why?" type expression. Part of playing good defense is to assume that your teammates will do their job. That's the kind of stuff I hope they discuss while reviewing "film"

There was one possession last night where Baer left his man on the wing because Baer anticipated the NW guard was going to dribble around Moss. The wing made the 3 and Moss looked at Baer with a "Why?" type expression. Part of playing good defense is to assume that your teammates will do their job. That's the kind of stuff I hope they discuss while reviewing "film"
I think that's where is struggles is trusting his teammates to be able to defend their guys, but who can really blame him?

15-6 isn't going to be easy to replace... Do you think the combination of Nunge, Kreiner and Pemsl can do that effectively? Perhaps but that's what it'll come down to. He's also handling the ball more than in past yrs which none of those 3 guys are capable of doing. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.
As I said, I am probably in the minority but last night's game proves it can be done. How frequently??? That is definitely up for debate.

College BB use to be a finesse game. Not any longer. It's more like the NBA now. Look at the physique that MSU players have. Izzo has them banging everyone out of their way. It's no wonder they win every year!

Really? Used to be finesse? late 70s and 80s in the Big Ten?

As I said, I am probably in the minority but last night's game proves it can be done. How frequently??? That is definitely up for debate.
Yeah. Defense is what helped us last night as much as anything. I mean JW really carried the mail offensively for us but team defense holding them to 63 pts... We damn well better win every game we hold someone to 63. I don't think we can do that often with or without Cook in this league. So I think this game was a bit of an outliar. If we were to miss Cook for a period of time we'd miss him pretty bad there's no if and or butts about it

You may be on to something regarding the combined production of Pemsl & Nunge for next season. Below is a quick translation of stats based on last year's numbers for both and comparing them to Cook's per game average this season.

Pemsl & Nunge combined per 40 last year: (80 minute average of production):
  • 28.3 PTS
  • 18 REB
  • 6.2 AST

Now let's translate that into say 45 MPG (22.5 MPG for each):
  • 15.9 PTS
  • 10.1 REB
  • 3.5 AST
Cook's per game averages this year(30.9 MPG):
  • 17.3 PTS
  • 8.3 REB
  • 2.7 AST
Based on the estimate of about 45 MPG combined for Pemsl & Nunge next year, you could say they should be able to cover Cook's production. This is not taking into account that both could post better production per minute than they did last year with Cook no longer present. All of this keeping in mind of course that this is also comparing the production of two players to that of one and merely based on the use of the assumption they will average 45 MPG.

As for your Baer comment, I agree. He has been a staple coming off the bench the last 4 years. That's quite the luxury for Fran to have had. Pemsl (assuming Nunge starts)would be my best guess on who would fill that "instant energy" role based on the emotion he plays with. Connor has the chance to be that as well on the perimeter side of things. Hopefully at least one of the incoming guys can step in and help contribute solid minutes as well.
Unfortunately that’s just not how the game of basketball works. Tyler Cook is item number one on every teams scouting report, he draws the attention, which opens things up for everyone else. Whoever starts next year at the 4 will be scouted at a much higher level than they were as reserve big men on a crappy team last year. Also, if you do your per 40 stats based on conference play, the comparison changes quite a bit.

Lastly, I’ve mentioned this a ton on this board, but I don’t believe Pemsl can play the 4 spot, especially when Garza and Kriener are your 5 men. You’re are putting yourself way behind the 8 ball in terms of footspeed if you pair any of those three guys as your bigs. Even if you play zone you’re asking one of those guys to guard the corner, which is not going to work.

The more Baer plays the more holes to his game you'll find. He's not a perfect player by any means and nobody would accuse him of being as such. He's a guy every team would like to have on his team. He's got ice in his veins and has since day 1. But he's a 6th man. He has a tough time defending period beyond when he's gambling going for steals and hustle plays. But he's a good rebounder. He's not a selfish player by any stretch. Baer is a guy where if you can play him for 2-3 min bursts at a time you can get a lot of great production from him. You try stretching that out to 5 mins or more at a time and.....

As long as the remaining hardware in his knee doesn't irritate the IT band, etc. Or cause scar tissue issues. Otherwise it's rinse and repeat. Am I correct he still has a plate and screws in there?

His knee joint has unsual stress put on it because his femur came into the knee joint at an odd angle. Re-routing the femur (by breaking it) was the first radical procedure. It won't be the last.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure. I have torn meniscus in both knees. Consultations with Ortho have led to the decision of no surgery-for now.
Stretch you legs at least twice a day. Just like you used to do before a sporting competition. Stretch your legs and keep them stretched. It will extend the life of your knees by leaps and bounds. I had my right ACL replaced an an inch of my meniscus in the back of the knee, removed in 1994. Surgeon said I would probably have to have that knee scoped and cartilage cleaned up every 5-7 years until total knee replacement. That was 24 years ago and I have yet to have another procedure on that knee. And I'm still very active. I have full range of motion. I can run and jump. I had 3 DRs puzzle over that for the better part of 30 minutes, not long ago. The best they could come up with was that I have always been a fanatic when it comes to stretching.

Stretch you legs at least twice a day. Just like you used to do before a sporting competition. Stretch your legs and keep them stretched. It will extend the life of your knees by leaps and bounds. I had my right ACL replaced an an inch of my meniscus in the back of the knee, removed in 1994. Surgeon said I would probably have to have that knee scoped and cartilage cleaned up every 5-7 years until total knee replacement. That was 24 years ago and I have yet to have another procedure on that knee. And I'm still very active. I have full range of motion. I can run and jump. I had 3 DRs puzzle over that for the better part of 30 minutes, not long ago. The best they could come up with was that I have always been a fanatic when it comes to stretching.
I had a running rennaissance in my mid to late forties. 5 and 10 K's. I could finish in the top five of my age group on a good day and those were races with 500-1,000 runners in the field. I tore meniscus in my right knee at 49 (and my left knee last winter) which shelved my goal of running a half marathon. I got down to 190 lbs. which was only ten above my final college weight.

I'm trying, after a long layoff, to give running one more shot, along with walking and swimming. To even think of being able to run I need a liberal stretching routine. And a quick but thorough warmup routine before I stretch. Especially for my hips.

I have had several consultations with my orthopedic surgeon. He said that enough scar tissue has built up around my meniscus to allow for a common sense exercise program at a common sense weight (which I am not at right now) I have some arthritis and he is concerned that removing meniscus will exacerbate the knee arthitis.

I have considered the gel injections and artificial meniscus replacements but am still in the early thinking stages on that.

Kudos for staying active and using common sense all these years. Preventative medication is frequently the best. And the doctors don't always have the answers. I will do my best to stay in shape as well. The thought of any of my children beating me in H-O-R-S-E is more than I can bear.

Unfortunately that’s just not how the game of basketball works. Tyler Cook is item number one on every teams scouting report, he draws the attention, which opens things up for everyone else. Whoever starts next year at the 4 will be scouted at a much higher level than they were as reserve big men on a crappy team last year. Also, if you do your per 40 stats based on conference play, the comparison changes quite a bit.

Lastly, I’ve mentioned this a ton on this board, but I don’t believe Pemsl can play the 4 spot, especially when Garza and Kriener are your 5 men. You’re are putting yourself way behind the 8 ball in terms of footspeed if you pair any of those three guys as your bigs. Even if you play zone you’re asking one of those guys to guard the corner, which is not going to work.

Sometimes I think we lean on stats so much that we aren’t using logic or the eye test.

In no way is Pemsl/Nunge convo going to be as good as Cook

I had a running rennaissance in my mid to late forties. 5 and 10 K's. I could finish in the top five of my age group on a good day and those were races with 500-1,000 runners in the field. I tore meniscus in my right knee at 49 (and my left knee last winter) which shelved my goal of running a half marathon. I got down to 190 lbs. which was only ten above my final college weight.

I'm trying, after a long layoff, to give running one more shot, along with walking and swimming. To even think of being able to run I need a liberal stretching routine. And a quick but thorough warmup routine before I stretch. Especially for my hips.

I have had several consultations with my orthopedic surgeon. He said that enough scar tissue has built up around my meniscus to allow for a common sense exercise program at a common sense weight (which I am not at right now) I have some arthritis and he is concerned that removing meniscus will exacerbate the knee arthitis.

I have considered the gel injections and artificial meniscus replacements but am still in the early thinking stages on that.

Kudos for staying active and using common sense all these years. Preventative medication is frequently the best. And the doctors don't always have the answers. I will do my best to stay in shape as well. The thought of any of my children beating me in H-O-R-S-E is more than I can bear.

I was highly active into my 40s and played in a soccer league with international college students until I had the mother of all knee injuries. Completely inverted it almost straight backwards. Had a meniscus replacement. The surgeon told me never to run again and I did about 3 years later. 5 years out the knee was still getting better until I hurt it again, and lost the meniscus that was donated to me playing basketball. I quit basketball then because If I hurt the left knee I'd be in serious trouble.

The surgeon talked me into a high tibial osteotomy, which I would never suggest for anyone to ever have. The did that and the meniscus graft at the same time. For several weeks following, death seemed like an option.

I'd suggest taking up biking rather than running. I don't do medication as I want to know when things aren't working right. After the 2nd injury, after a couple of years I don't noticeably limp anymore. Tempted to BBall, but probably won't.

Weight is a big factor, and I can put 25 pounds on easily. Down where I should be now, but it is a struggle, especially at holidays during the winter. The day before my big injury, I easily cleared a 47 yard FG at a Big stadium with a 2 step as they were having a fan day and were seeing who could do the longest. Since I won with that kick, they made me quit from going further. I can't clear an extra point today if my life depended on it.

If you have surgery make very clear your expectations on what to do to the surgeon. The first guy (was Big team surgeon) was going to go in and clean things up. When I woke up, he stuck a jar with my whole meniscus in it and I about puked. The guy who did Derrick Rose's surgeon did my graft. He said he likely could have saved the meniscus, but once it's gone it's gone. The guy was pretty funny. When I was waiting for a meniscus graft he was traveling to South America. My wife asked why he was going with concern. He said he needed to look for parts. Later after the surgery, on the xray it looked like the screws from the osteotomy were sticking threw the other side. She pointed it out. He walked over to the xray and my wife and studied it and then exclaimed, "Oh my God!" You had to be there but it was funny as heck as for an instant she believed him.

Sometimes I think we lean on stats so much that we aren’t using logic or the eye test.

In no way is Pemsl/Nunge convo going to be as good as Cook
Cook would make me more of a believer if he could dominate just a game or two vs top competition.

Cook would make me more of a believer if he could dominate just a game or two vs top competition.

Cook’s game may not transition to the NBA but he’s a legit college player.

I think they said tonight he’s scored 15 in his last 10 games. The other teams know who he is and he’s still getting it done.

Tonight he tried a couple Js and it was ugly but let’s hope his ankle isn’t too bad.

Sure would be nice to see a healthy Garza and Cook and with the team’s swagger right now.

Last edited:
Cook’s game may not transition to the NBA but he’s a legit college player.

I think they said tonight he’s scored 15 in his last 10 games. The other teams know who he is and he’s still getting it done.

Tonight he tried a couple Js and it was ugly but let’s hope his ankle isn’t too bad.

Sure would be nice to see a healthy Garza and Cook and with the team’s swagger right now.

Cook probab
Cook is an elite athlete, rare for Iowa, opponents know who he is and want to avoid having him jam a BB over them in embarrassment. Gosh, I don't know why they don't drop off him every time he gets the ball away from the hoop in the mid range area. If he could make a big jump with his shooting, well, great for him!