What happens....

SteveGarvey1

Next year when Cook is gone? I mean, he's the only player the other team has to game plan for. JW will be a steady player but he's not there yet. Patrick and Toussaint could end up being good players in the future but they're not going to come in and be difference-makers next year. Where's the athleticism going to come from in this modern kind of basketball?

This has the same feel as Alford's last season when he got out in front of the posse before being fired. I really could see Fran bailing after this year.

Why are we always in this same situation with these coaches any more?

I am probably in the minority but I don't think Cook leaving will impact our overall record. But people love to watch his explosive dunks so it may impact attendance.

For Alford, Iowa was a stop on a journey. For Fran, it is a final destination. He is here until Patrick graduates from Iowa or Barta is fired and he is replaced. Big money donors won't bail out Barta a second time, like they did with Lick. Fran gave fans a short sugar-high with a couple of trips to the tourney, but B1G teams now know how to exploit the weaknesses in his "system"

With the size of the buyout, we are stuck with Fran for rest of Barta's tenure. Iowa is a Football school, we won 9 games this year so Barta is safe for at least a couple more years.

Next year when Cook is gone? I mean, he's the only player the other team has to game plan for. JW will be a steady player but he's not there yet. Patrick and Toussaint could end up being good players in the future but they're not going to come in and be difference-makers next year. Where's the athleticism going to come from in this modern kind of basketball?

This has the same feel as Alford's last season when he got out in front of the posse before being fired. I really could see Fran bailing after this year.

Fran ain’t going anywhere unless they buy him out. The goal is to get his two sons playing together on a B1G team.

Fran ain’t going anywhere unless they buy him out. The goal is to get his two sons playing together on a B1G team.

He won't be fired in 2019. If this season continues to go down the toilet, Barta will come out and say something about how it is a disappointing season and we expect more.

I guess I meant more that I could see Fran leaving on his own accord by 2020.

He won't be fired in 2019. If this season continues to go down the toilet, Barta will come out and say something about how it is a disappointing season and we expect more.

I guess I meant more that I could see Fran leaving on his own accord by 2020.
I think he will be fired by 2020. Pat will follow him to a smaller school. Connor will stick with baseball.

But they will have next year of Fran coaching his two sons at the B1G level.

I think he will be fired by 2020. Pat will follow him to a smaller school. Connor will stick with baseball.

dude wtf. I just ate lunch, are you trying to make me throw it back up?

I'd have to agree with this. I don't see Fran getting any better at his job and there is a limit to everything. If 2019 and 2020 are continuations of the recent past, the University will do something.

Would losing Connor and Pat be that detrimental to the program going forward? I'm simply not sure at this point. Nothing against either of them but they both seem to fit the mold of almost all the other recruits we've brought in that haven't got us to the next level.

I think one or both could have an impact next year. And we also have 3 players coming off RS years...2 of which have already been through the Big 10 grind.

Would losing Connor and Pat be that detrimental to the program going forward? I'm simply not sure at this point. Nothing against either of them but they both seem to fit the mold of almost all the other recruits we've brought in that haven't got us to the next level.
I think losing them would be very detrimental. I love Connor's basketball IQ and expect the same from Patrick. And I think both are very talented basketball players.

I think losing them would be very detrimental. I love Connor's basketball IQ and expect the same from Patrick. And I think both are very talented basketball players.

I have nothing against either of them, but if Fran goes I don't see either staying and I've been on the side that feels that its time to part ways with Fran. I guess my thoughts lie in the fact that both Connor and Patrick seem to be the same type of player who fit into his system that Fran has recruited since he's got here (not a shot at either of them) and I simply don't think that they're going to develop into the type of guys that can get us over the hump and take us to that next level. So I guess, if given the opportunity I'd rather see what a new coach could bring in as opposed to staying with what we have and moving forward in the not so distant future.

Nunge and Pemsl will need to generate Cook's production between the two of them...a tall order. Nunge is the big question mark right now. He's a much better outside shooter than Cook, so that adds to the offense. The big question is whether we can get inside scoring also.

Nunge and Pemsl will need to generate Cook's production between the two of them...a tall order. Nunge is the big question mark right now. He's a much better outside shooter than Cook, so that adds to the offense. The big question is whether we can get inside scoring also.
You may have seen the last of Pemsl in a basketball uniform. How many more radical procedures can a basketball player's knees take?

Nope. Won't matter at all.

College BB use to be a finesse game. Not any longer. It's more like the NBA now. Look at the physique that MSU players have. Izzo has them banging everyone out of their way. It's no wonder they win every year!

I am probably in the minority but I don't think Cook leaving will impact our overall record. But people love to watch his explosive dunks so it may impact attendance.

For Alford, Iowa was a stop on a journey. For Fran, it is a final destination. He is here until Patrick graduates from Iowa or Barta is fired and he is replaced. Big money donors won't bail out Barta a second time, like they did with Lick. Fran gave fans a short sugar-high with a couple of trips to the tourney, but B1G teams now know how to exploit the weaknesses in his "system"

With the size of the buyout, we are stuck with Fran for rest of Barta's tenure. Iowa is a Football school, we won 9 games this year so Barta is safe for at least a couple more years.
15-6 isn't going to be easy to replace... Do you think the combination of Nunge, Kreiner and Pemsl can do that effectively? Perhaps but that's what it'll come down to. He's also handling the ball more than in past yrs which none of those 3 guys are capable of doing. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

You may have seen the last of Pemsl in a basketball uniform. How many more radical procedures can a basketball player's knees take?

This wasn't anything to do with the mechanics of the knee...it was everything to do with the hardware in his leg. Trust me, I know what he was going through. I'm having a similar surgery in a few weeks to remove hardware and the pain when I do certain things is crazy. The problem is that they have to fill the screw holes in the bone with artificial bone and allow it to heal properly...4-6 weeks. You can't do anything laterally for that timeframe or longer either.

I think he's going to be fine...probably better than fine next year...pain free.

College BB use to be a finesse game. Not any longer. It's more like the NBA now. Look at the physique that MSU players have. Izzo has them banging everyone out of their way. It's no wonder they win every year!

Yeah...Michigan State down low looks alot different than most teams. Hell, Wieskamp looked like an eighth grader competing with those guys down low. No Contest. Honestly, I have no idea how they get away with the pushing and shoving they do. It's crazy. It's the old Izzo strategy. Start the game just hammering everyone on every play...bitch like crazy at the officials...and finally the officials won't call everything and stop the game every 30 seconds...so it becomes a war. Don't fool yourself...when Izzo gets other conference officials...there is a reason why they become vulnerable to foul trouble.

i think this is a possibility. however, it remains to be seen how Toussaint's quickness and speed on the perimeter affects iowa's W/L record. Can't over estimate how important Toussaint will be. also, fran and staff are absolutely scouring the nation for '20 pg's and i think they would take 2 pg's (with one being a combo). my point is that it appears to me that fran is changing his style to be more athletic on the perimeter with more traditional guards. if fran does, in fact, do this, then iowa will be able to compete at a higher lever in the B1G.

This wasn't anything to do with the mechanics of the knee...it was everything to do with the hardware in his leg. Trust me, I know what he was going through. I'm having a similar surgery in a few weeks to remove hardware and the pain when I do certain things is crazy. The problem is that they have to fill the screw holes in the bone with artificial bone and allow it to heal properly...4-6 weeks. You can't do anything laterally for that timeframe or longer either.

I think he's going to be fine...probably better than fine next year...pain free.
As long as the remaining hardware in his knee doesn't irritate the IT band, etc. Or cause scar tissue issues. Otherwise it's rinse and repeat. Am I correct he still has a plate and screws in there?

His knee joint has unsual stress put on it because his femur came into the knee joint at an odd angle. Re-routing the femur (by breaking it) was the first radical procedure. It won't be the last.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure. I have torn meniscus in both knees. Consultations with Ortho have led to the decision of no surgery-for now.