What happens When 3 Out of 4 Conf Gms are on the Rd to Start?

eyekwah

See IOWA. The conference didn't do Iowa any favors with 3 of 4 of the conference games start on the road. Ohio State is 1 and 3 and they had a 2 games at home. Iowa looked like a fatigued team against Nebraska I watched PSU last night and they looked the same. The game at Philly in the hot gym really took a physical toll. I think it partially explains the poor outside shooting by Wieskamp and Garza.

It's going to be uphill now with Maryland coming in next. It looks grim with the depleted roster.

The good news is we started 0-3 last year in the conference and still was easily in the tournament in mid February. The bad news is we've lost 3 of our top 8 or 9 players this year. If CJ misses more than a few more games we have virtually no chance at a tournament bid.

With the schedule Iowa has faced thus far, losing Cook and Moss earlier then expected, then having Nunge, Jbo and CJ out with injury... being 10-5 is a miracle in my mind. I think Fran may be doing one of his better coaching jobs of his career when you actually look at the variables. A lot of attrition out his control yet still competitive. I'm actually a little more impressed by his coaching this season.

Is Ohio State a legitimate tournament contender? They’re 1-3

How about Michigan or Indiana? Both are 1-2.

With the schedule Iowa has faced thus far, losing Cook and Moss earlier then expected, then having Nunge, Jbo and CJ out with injury... being 10-5 is a miracle in my mind. I think Fran may be doing one of his better coaching jobs of his career when you actually look at the variables. A lot of attrition out his control yet still competitive. I'm actually a little more impressed by his coaching this season.
I agree, but where I have problem with this is that we are in year 10 and we seem to be stuck in neutral and not being able to overcome incomplete rosters and having solid bench play. And we are talking about over achieving...which I agree we are....but at the same time facing the real prospect that our tournament hope's are fading fast. From an engagement/trust standpoint that makes things hard to have a lot of faith going forward.

Last edited:
I agree, but where I have problem with this is that we are in year 10 and we seem to be stuck in neutral and not being able to overcome incomplete rosters and having solid bench play. And we are talking about over achieving...which I agree we are....but at the same time facing the real prospect that our tournament hope's are fading fast. From an engagement/trust standpoint that makes things hard to have a lot of faith going forward.

I think in year 10 we were looking like this was going to be one of the best teams Fran has had and year 11 looked even better. I wouldn't call that stuck in neutral. If everyone is back and healthy next year, we will be one of the favorites to win the conference.

I think in year 10 we were looking like this was going to be one of the best teams Fran has had and year 11 looked even better. I wouldn't call that stuck in neutral. If everyone is back and healthy next year, we will be one of the favorites to win the conference.

LOL. I will not argue Iowa makes the NCAA tournament next year (if they get everyone back and if they stay reasonably healthy). This program has not won the Big Ten in like 40 some years and there were better teams (mostly under Mr. Davis) then will be the team next year since Lute's last title.

Long way off, but bank on it....Iowa's out in the 2nd round next year. Probably anywhere from a 6 to a 9 seed losing to a 3, 2, or 1.

And, don't be surprised if Garza leaves early. That would be a major blow there.

LOL. I will not argue Iowa makes the NCAA tournament next year (if they get everyone back and if they stay reasonably healthy). This program has not won the Big Ten in like 40 some years and there were better teams (mostly under Mr. Davis) then will be the team next year since Lute's last title.

Long way off, but bank on it....Iowa's out in the 2nd round next year. Probably anywhere from a 6 to a 9 seed losing to a 3, 2, or 1.

And, don't be surprised if Garza leaves early. That would be a major blow there.

If Garza leaves early that obviously changes everything. If he works all off season like he did last off season he will be a 1st team all American. Losing him would lower the ceiling a lot. If everyone is back and healthy next year, I predict at least a 4 seed.

If Garza leaves early that obviously changes everything. If he works all off season like he did last off season he will be a 1st team all American. Losing him would lower the ceiling a lot. If everyone is back and healthy next year, I predict at least a 4 seed.
Big ten tourney????

Latest posts