what happens to the assistants?

Most of the time they are let go. Occasionally one might catch on with the new coach to provide program continuity. I believe Alford kept a Davis assistant when he took over.

It's usually up to the new coach. But, most coaches are tied with their assistants, so, in most cases, they leave with the coach.

my quesion is do they get paid until the end of the calendar year? Are they on one year contracts or longer?

They get paid until their contract is up. I assume contracts run concurrently with the school's fiscal year.

So, who are you, Walthall or Cornette?

They are the real losers in this as they don't have a golden parachute to fall back on like Lick does. Walthall, in particular, stands to lose big, as he was both coach and AD at Loras and in a very comfy situation. Now, he will likely be out on the street with no job and no money for quite some time, unless Barta helps him out in some way. The younger guys will probably be able to catch on somewhere, sooner.

Wouldn't we all love to have a sports related job? Many people work without pay (as interns or unpaid assistants) just to get their feet in the door. At least these guys will have "Assistant Big Ten Coach" on their resumes which will help them to get other good jobs in the future. A bad experience at Iowa has not hurt SA very much. When Lick leaves Iowa, he will leave as a multi-millionaire, even though he compiled the worst record in school history.

Most of the time they are let go. Occasionally one might catch on with the new coach to provide program continuity. I believe Alford kept a Davis assistant when he took over.

Rich Walker was kept from Mr. Davis's last staff. He was there to make sure that Glen Worley went to Iowa.

It does stink for them...

They are the real losers in this as they don't have a golden parachute to fall back on like Lick does. Walthall, in particular, stands to lose big, as he was both coach and AD at Loras and in a very comfy situation. Now, he will likely be out on the street with no job and no money for quite some time, unless Barta helps him out in some way. The younger guys will probably be able to catch on somewhere, sooner.

but to be fair that's the deal in this business.

Walthall is making upwards of $150k at Iowa, which I'm sure is way, way more than the was making at Loras. Blanchard is getting close to $140k and Cornette nearly $90k. All 3 of them received significant pay raises from their previous jobs when they came to Iowa. If they are smart (which I'm sure they are) they have been banking as much of that as they can given the business they are in.

Depending on who comes in as a new coach it's not uncommon for one or two guys to stay on. Especially when a coach comes in from out of the area assitants with in state recruiting ties can be pretty valuable.

The biggest factor in this has already been touched on with the Glen Worley comment. If the incomming guy likes and wants to retain the incomming class expect at least one staff member to be retained.

If the incomming coach has his own recruits that he wants to bring in then I would suspect they would all leave.

They get paid until their contract is up. I assume contracts run concurrently with the school's fiscal year.

So, who are you, Walthall or Cornette?

Interesting. I would have thought their contracts would be optionally (in favor of the school) co-terminus with the head coach's contract--either that, or at-will depending on the negotiating power of the specific assistant in question.

Latest posts