What happened to the Illinois fans?

greghammel

Do you remember back in the 80s and 90s when their fans were just such a factor? They knew basketball and just hated us over the Pearl-Head incident? Now they are just whiny little punks who are obviously reading off some paper on what to do. They don't even know what constitutes a travel in college basketball. Even an Illinois fan older than 35 would agree with what I am saying. Oh wait... this is in the recruiting board... OK! If I were a recruit I would not be impressed!

Last edited:
Do you remember back in the 80s and 90s when their fans were just such a factor? They knew basketball and just hated us over the Pearl-Head incident? Now they are just whiny little punks who are obviously reading off some paper on what to do. They don't even know what constitutes a travel in college basketball. Even an Illinois fan older than 35 would agree with what I am saying. Oh wait... this is in the recruiting board... OK! If I were a recruit I would not be impressed!

Jon Groce.

15 years of suck

Sounds familiar.

Bruce Weber & John Groce - that program has been very average for a while now and don't think Groce will be around much longer if he doesn't get it turned ASAP. With their in-state talent, it's amazing they aren't better.. Reminds me of Michigan in the late 90's and 2000's with Tommy Amaker, etc. Just a matter of time until they get the right hire, though, so am enjoying the wins in Champaign while they're relatively easy to get.

It wasn't even back to the 80's or 90's. I went to a game at Carver in the early 2000's when D. Williams was playing for the Illini and 3/4 of the crowd was wearing Orange. I was embarrassed.

Their fan base hasn't had much of anything to cheer for lately, and it isn't looking like there's light at the end of the tunnel. It would be tough to be an Illini fan right now.

It wasn't even back to the 80's or 90's. I went to a game at Carver in the early 2000's when D. Williams was playing for the Illini and 3/4 of the crowd was wearing Orange. I was embarrassed.

Their fan base hasn't had much of anything to cheer for lately, and it isn't looking like there's light at the end of the tunnel. It would be tough to be an Illini fan right now.

Not sure if it was the same year or not but I was at a game where the entire student section wore Iowa shirts and at opposite side of our student section. Just before tip off they took off there Iowa shirts and it was all orange. I think Illinois brought more students to Iowa city than we had in our student section.

Before the last couple years our atmosphere hadn't been the greatest and I wouldn't say it's 100% back to where we'd like it. Ole Licklighter left quite the taste in the fans mouth. That said IL is going through quite a tough stretch and that's what the result of that will be. They are capable of snagging 1 or 2 stud recruits out of Chicago and then boom they can be back on the map just that easily. Basketball programs are easier to turn around then football. Man their football program is brutal.

Heck wasn't it just a half dozen years ago or so that IL students filled our student section.
That was flat embarassing. If Iowa's students had any gumption at all, I would have packed a few busses and headed down to Champaign and packed their crappy building this year as payback.

Latest posts