What good becomes of gaining the world, but losing your soul?

homes

This is how I feel about Big Ten expansion. I do get it. A lot more money. A lot more power. A lot more influence. But there are costs, intangible as they may seem. And I understand that newcomers and the like have no sense of history, so preserving the status quo means nothing. I'm sorry, but simply adding Nebraska and Missouri to an expanded conference does not make them a Big Ten school. Call me a snob, but it's also true.

I would just hope they don't impugn the integrity of what it meant to in the Big Ten by keeping the name after they form this new alliance of schools. Just let it die - swept into the dustbin of history.

May I suggest a new name for this "conference" - the Conference of Associated Schools for Hegemony, i.e., CASH. Because that is what this is all about - money and power.

May I suggest a new name for this "conference" - the Conference of Associated Schools for Hegemony, i.e., CASH. Because that is what this is all about - money and power.

+1

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCaf3n3n86U&feature=related[/ame]
Yep, that's pretty much what it's all about.

This is how I feel about Big Ten expansion. I do get it. A lot more money. A lot more power. A lot more influence. But there are costs, intangible as they may seem. And I understand that newcomers and the like have no sense of history, so preserving the status quo means nothing. I'm sorry, but simply adding Nebraska and Missouri to an expanded conference does not make them a Big Ten school. Call me a snob, but it's also true.

I would just hope they don't impugn the integrity of what it meant to in the Big Ten by keeping the name after they form this new alliance of schools. Just let it die - swept into the dustbin of history.

....and hos

New ideas scare people.

As far as new ideas go, this one is earth-shattering (to college athletics, at any rate). The idea of 4 super conferences is more than frightening to me. I like traditions as much as many other CFB fans, and a 16-team Big Ten will completely ruin it all.

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. It was I who allowed Barry Alvarez to talk about the possibility of expansion. The superconference will be quite safe from your pitiful little complaints about tradition. An entire legion of schools awaits to join the Big 24! Oh, I'm afraid your Floyd of Rosedale trophy will be quite obsolete when I unveil the protected rival pod system!

Ghost baby, this is no new idea.

It is an old idea - as old as recorded history.

It is called GREED

The Big Ten is making a mistake, but it is going to happen anyway.

I think it is pretty hilarious - is there anything in this expansion that will benefit the vast majority of the players? Will they get paid? NO Will their education improve? NO Will they play more games, increasing likelihood of injury? YES Will the cheating in recruiting go up? YES

If they truly cared about the players, they would pay them. It is not about the players or the fans, it is about the money

Sorry, folks. This deal doesn't scare me at all. In fact. When I retire in 17 or so years, gonna buy myself an RV. Travel to Lincoln. Columbia. Pissthataway. Take in some NEW sites. The old stomping grounds of Manhattan where I used to drive a cab. No. I look forward to 16 teams. This is the Big Ten's moment to shine. I hope I'm alive to see it come to fruition.

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. It was I who allowed Barry Alvarez to talk about the possibility of expansion. The superconference will be quite safe from your pitiful little complaints about tradition. An entire legion of schools awaits to join the Big 24! Oh, I'm afraid your Floyd of Rosedale trophy will be quite obsolete when I unveil the protected rival pod system!

Brilliant!

What exists is generally a reaction to what was once. The Big Ten by all accounts is the oldest athletic and academic conference. As the Western Conference its rival was the Ivy League in the good old days. Physical geography played a major role in its formation. The member Universities shared common goals and values and were near enough to each other to collaborate without detriment to student athletes.

So in 2010 we need to ask ourselves what exist and what are the shared common goals for the conference? Does it want to remain a premier athletic conference? Does it still want to pursue academic research in collaboration with other member universities? What are the mega-trends that are challenging member institutions? Can academia hide behind Ivy covered brick buildings and not know that competitive forces to deliver higher education are available? Is a bigger group of Research Universities the prescription to more research money? Does a premier athletic conference enhance the members reputation?

The road is littered with businesses that couldn't change and some that tried to change too fast and too soon. To date the conference has been successful in most endeavors and we will have to trust that it will do what is right for the all the right reasons.

Since when is more money coming into the University of Iowa a bad thing? Just curious?

The face of college sports is going to change whether the Big 10 does anything or not, so the Big 10 might as well be at the forefront. The rest of the country, and who knows some of you, scoffed at the Big 10 when they developed the Big 10 Network and some of you even hated it for various reasons. Look at what it has become and look at the benefits it has given us, especially those of us that live in other states.

I keep an open mind about the expansion. Not sure why some of you are so upset? I would prefer to look at the positives I guess. I look at the new border wars Iowa will now develop.

Iowa will have border games with Minn, Wisc, Illannoy, Misery, NW, and Nebraska. As a fan what more could you want? Plus we might get to drop the clowns from our schedule as being inconsequential or meaningless!

Some on here were wringing their hands at the prospect of losing Lickliter and look at what has happened the past 6 weeks and we haven't even played a game yet.

So the Big 10 expands to whatever it is going to expand to. Will there be negatives? Who knows. We already know there are going to be definite positives! I guess you can wring your hands, cry about the past, and complain, or look forward to the future. The future is coming whether you like it or not, nothing you can do about it. Me, I just sit back and watch and see what develops and who is invited.

This is true, and people react to what they are scared of by attacking it with ridicule & hatred.

Hence my reputation comments...

Things are changing with or without us. If we want cling to our past, then we risk our future. Be like the ND fans you despise. I personally don't have a woody for Big 10 history, so I don't care.

Most of the players education isn't much now. Because of their schedules, many of the players are forced to take majors that pretty worthless. Some of it is based on the NCAA rule that says that a player's GPA has to increase each year. If a player tries to take a tough major and only does so so, trying to continue to take a tough or tougher schedule the following year, that player has to increase his GPA. With the tougher schedule, that is tough to do unless the player is unusually bright. So many players just take the easier route and take an easier major--communication for instance. They graduate but the degree is basically worthless.

Many players come to college with the idea that they are going to take a worthwhile major because they know they will not play in the pros, but somewhere along the line many have to chose between playing their sport and switching majors or becoming ineligible, so they switch. The time limits that sports programs demand just do not allow many to handle the tougher majors. So the NCAA requirement really just harms the student, it doesn't help them. Sure they get a degree and it makes the NCAA and the University look good but the student is left standing there with a worthless communications degree or something similar and they get to go sell insurance or whatever, if that.

I grew up on the West Coast, went to grad school at Iowa, and now live in SEC country. The rest of the country is not as enthralled with Big Ten tradition. However, not having grown up with that tradition, but being transplanted into it, I can say it is strong enough to absorb more programs and still remain true.

Look at PSU. They have grown to be a very significant part of the Big Ten culture and have given us Iowa fans more significant games than any other Big Ten team in the last decade. Nebby has the chance to do the same.

As long as the league is smart about the teams it invites, the tradition will grow instead of being diminished.

Latest posts