What do you expect out of college football?

okeefe4prez

As I would surmise college football is a big hobby for many on here, I was wondering what you expect from it? I personally expect to have a good time with friends and family and to get trashed outside of the stadium before the game. Wins would be nice, but I've been an Iowa fan my whole life and I know better than to ever have any expectations of winning. I like those stories on the weekly Dolph show about how guys who played for Iowa when I was growing up have gone on to be productive members of society and how current players give attention to the disadvantaged and brighten their day. But in the grand scheme, if Iowa is 2-10 or 10-2, it doesn't really matter, I never expect them to win any serious hardware and no one outside of die hard Iowa fans will give two craps about it for more than 5 minutes after the game is over.

My only beef with college football is the NFL pricing that has taken effect (other than at Northwestern and other crappy teams like ISU). Not gonna lie, for a decent stretch of time, I got my hopes up about Iowa football being a legit program and the letdown when it failed to materialize sucked (but the ticket prices never came back down to match reality). So now, I just roll with the flow and bince I have gone to some NU games where I didn't give two craps about the outcome and focused more on the important stuff (e.g., getting trashed out in the parking lot with my buddies on a nice fall afternoon), I've gained a new found appreciation of my hobby. I suggest that all of you guys who are spewing all the crap over Miller's board give that a try and spend some Saturdays away from the Hawks just going to a game with nothing riding on it just to get back your focus and perspective on the big picture stuff.

I expect to go to a couple of games a year with my son irregardless of how good they are and for us not to be in the national title hunt.

point is I can't NOT care.

It will be that way until I die and it can't be controlled.

Most here are the same way

I expect our coaching staff to prepare a little better...especially for a game vs a team that had been out-scored 103-3 in the first half of bigten games.

So If i had no expectations and didnt care if they win or lose I wouldn't get upset.....

Pretty deep stuff

Look guy, I want the Hawks to win every game. But my old man taught me the ways of the world when I was a young buck and Iowa was #1 back in '85. I thought that was the natural state of affairs because I was just a kid, but I will be stunned if I ever witness Iowa win a really big game in my lifetime (with really big game defined as Rose Bowl or National Title game, I would prolly add B10 title game now as well). I've never seen it and I don't ever expect to see it. I just don't see what the hell has everyone so worked up over a loss to Minnesota. It means absolutely nothing. Maybe it will keep us from playing against a MAC team in some crappy bowl in Detroit in December in front of 29,000 fans with another 200,000 watching on TV. Big freaking deal. It's not like we just got knocked out of the national title game or something.

I expect to go to a couple of games a year with my son irregardless of how good they are and for us not to be in the national title hunt.

Nice post. Hopefully, you teach your son well so he doesn't develop into one of these sky is falling guys on here.

Look guy, I want the Hawks to win every game. But my old man taught me the ways of the world when I was a young buck and Iowa was #1 back in '85. I thought that was the natural state of affairs because I was just a kid, but I will be stunned if I ever witness Iowa win a really big game in my lifetime (with really big game defined as Rose Bowl or National Title game, I would prolly add B10 title game now as well). I've never seen it and I don't ever expect to see it. I just don't see what the hell has everyone so worked up over a loss to Minnesota. It means absolutely nothing. Maybe it will keep us from playing against a MAC team in some crappy bowl in Detroit in December in front of 29,000 fans with another 200,000 watching on TV. Big freaking deal. It's not like we just got knocked out of the national title game or something.

Ya O'keefe I get your point... but its still tough to lose to a team that bad

I don't think Minny looked "that bad" today. THey played lights out when it counted. I'll be honest, about 15 times today I looked at my kids to remind myself football isn't important in the scheme of things. Still doesn't take the sting out of it.

I don't think Minny looked "that bad" today. THey played lights out when it counted. I'll be honest, about 15 times today I looked at my kids to remind myself football isn't important in the scheme of things. Still doesn't take the sting out of it.

Great post. Hopefully you took your frustrations out on your wife and not your kids.

One addendum to my original post, no matter how old I get, the college gals stay the same age.

Latest posts