What do y'all think about Brian's pay cut and ultimatum announced publicly today?

This year's TCU would have beaten the Hawks 65-0.

Point is, Iowa football isn't on the tier of schools like that and never will be. Until something happens to derail OSU or Michigan both at the same time, there's no chance of winning the Big Ten. Now that there's a championship game, you essentially have to first win your division, then catch lightning in a bottle by beating a team in either UM or OSU that is so far ahead of Iowa's level we can't even see it from here.

Used to be all you had to do was have the best record or even tie for the best record and that was it, no matter who you played. There was sometimes a chance, albeit a tiny one. Now you have to not only win your division, but you have to go through a juggernaut. The odds of both of those things happening in the same year are infinitesimally small.

Iowa has played OSU 27 times since Hayden Fry took over and has won 4 of those. To make it worse, OSU is way stronger than it ever was in the 80s or 90s and getting bigger all the time. I'm sorry, folks, the B1G isn't in reach anymore until both UM and OSU are both down at the same time relative to Iowa, and I wouldn't start holding my breath for that anytime in the next 20 years. By then we won't be watching tackle football anymore.
LOL. You remind me of the guy who destroys ant hills with a howitzer.

I think Iowa would have been competitive with TCU, but we will never know.We certainly played Michigan tough in Kinnick last fall, and in 2016 and 2019. But you are certainly right about Ohio St….there is a big gap right now.

you seem very negative about Iowa football right now. I get it. The Brian stuff is mind numbing. It is wearing out the entire fan base.

I think Iowa can win the division and perhaps in the future qualify for a 12 team playoff. That is a realistic goal.

LOL. You remind me of the guy who destroys ant hills with a howitzer.

I think Iowa would have been competitive with TCU, but we will never know.We certainly played Michigan tough in Kinnick last fall, and in 2016 and 2019. But you are certainly right about Ohio St….there is a big gap right now.

you seem very negative about Iowa football right now. I get it. The Brian stuff is mind numbing. It is wearing out the entire fan base.

I think Iowa can win the division and perhaps in the future qualify for a 12 team playoff. That is a realistic goal.
I'm not negative about it. I just wrote a check for my tailgate spot for next year, and I'll be buying 3 mobile passes the day they go onsale.

I love Hawkeye football and as long as my springs and summers are wiped out with coaching, it's my hobby. It's the time of year I get to spend the most time (other than baseball) with my kid.

But I know what the limits are and I'm content accepting it. I don't like seeing the Hawks go on national TV and completely embarrassed by Michigan and OSU. They aren't in our zip code anymore and won't be again.

I guess it comes down to Ferentz likely telling Barta he'll never fire his son, and if you do it I'm done. And Barta would never have the cojones to do that, so out comes the non challenging and wimpy ultimatum contract with zero teeth to pacify nobody. 5% decrease in pay, oh boy. It's Ferentz's way until he says it ain't.

Yep.

The contract states (quoted in DMR) that if those two provisions aren’t met “the agreement will terminate on June 30, 2024.”

I have the same language in my high school coaching contract. It terminates every year and then the school board has another one already written up at the next school board meeting.

Brian ain’t goin’ nowhere, boys. This contract was written in a manner to make naive, unintelligent people think Brian has to hit a benchmark or he’s fired.

Ain’t happenin.
It's just a souvenir for a lucky fan folks!

Oh Barta and his extentions, what could go wrong huh? Barta in locking up a coach that wasn't going anywhere, at least after the first 10 years, has completely handed autonomy of the athletic program to Kirk. He has no power but he will be held accountable. This is just a lame attempt to appear in control for the rubes that still believe in that shit. Barta will be fired before Brian is ever asked to resign.

What do y'all think about Brian's pay cut and ultimatum?

I think it speaks poorly about the entire University. It's my opinion that the Board of Regents and the President's Office needs to address this particular case with Gary Barta because of the evaluation arrangement that was established when Brian became an employee within the football program. After reading the publicized goals for Brian it obvious Barta is poor at writing objectives and measurement of them. He deserves a public reprimand as much as Brian, which is what Brian received in essence.

How much has Barta cost Iowa with the lawsuits alone? I get that he's a great fundraiser and the major donors seem to be all in on Barta and Kirk. But that and Barta basically insulating Kirk from direct accountability and allowing Kirk to be the de facto AD are the only reasons Gary still has a job. Remove Gary and Brian is next. Thing is, Kirk will go at the same time.

You got your PedoU and you got your NepoU. Easy choice if you gotta pickem but I'd rather go back to just straight up U of I.

The contract states (quoted in DMR) that if those two provisions aren’t met “the agreement will terminate on June 30, 2024.” There's no way they'd terminate. They'll simply restructure or renegotiate his salary. Why on earth would they use 6/30/24 if they'd even consider termination. If they had any intent on termination they'd do it immediately after the season and not the middle of the summer shortly before players are reporting for camp. What coach waits until June 30th to start looking for a job?

The contract states (quoted in DMR) that if those two provisions aren’t met “the agreement will terminate on June 30, 2024.” There's no way they'd terminate. They'll simply restructure or renegotiate his salary. Why on earth would they use 6/30/24 if they'd even consider termination. If they had any intent on termination they'd do it immediately after the season and not the middle of the summer shortly before players are reporting for camp. What coach waits until June 30th to start looking for a job?
Another in a long list of WTF does this all mean?

lol, TCU is no where near at some elite level that Iowa couldn't compete with. They've been a game above .500 for half a decade. They caught lightning in a bottle with Max - Iowa could easily do that and have the horses a pedigree as a program to do it. They did it with CJB

If Brian goes, Kirk is going with him. Kirk is and has always been Iowa's OC. Brian is OC in title only. Iowa is not struggling in the portal or on the recruiting trail and they aren't struggling sending guys to the NFL at an amazing clip. Iowa football is not elite, elite, but it's one of the healthiest football programs in the country regardless of what our offense is ranked.

There is nothing especially wrong with performance thresholds for poeple.. However when you make them public and make it public for Brian, who has been a punchline / punching bag, they've set themselves up for even more of the wrong kind of attention. Now you're seeing count downs and all kinds of micro evaluations that will ultimately be a distraction.

I don't like it.

There is nothing especially wrong with performance thresholds for poeple.. However when you make them public and make it public for Brian, who has been a punchline / punching bag, they've set themselves up for even more of the wrong kind of attention. Now you're seeing count downs and all kinds of micro evaluations that will ultimately be a distraction.

I don't like it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but due to the fact that the University of Iowa is a public institution, aren't the contracts of the football coaches public information? That is how Scott Frost's incentives saw the light of day.

Just fix the offense. I don't care how. Being last is not the Iowa way.

Since Hayden came to town and we're still benefitting from his tenure here, the Iowa way was to scratch where it itches. It shouldn't be just keep on itching and don't scratch it.

Latest posts