What caused the bad offensive start against the gophers?

uihawk82

I will admit I was just casually watching the game the first half. In the first 15 minutes I saw the hawks with little dribble drive penetration to break down their defense, little drive and dish to give really uncontested looks. The hawks picked moved the ball and penetrated much better in the last last 5 minutes of the first half and then in most of the 2nd half. I know the hawks didnt shoot great in that first 15 minutes but many times they were down to the end of the shot clock after passing it around the perimeter with one touch to Garza.

Personally I think Toussaint needs a few more of Connor's and Bohannon's minutes. I think Connor needs to dribble penetrate more and look to drive to the hoop for layups or to dish off when he is in.

What do you think caused the bad offensive start?

And Correct, one more free throw in the final minute seals it and so does some better passing over the top of minny's press for a dunk or a dribble around to waste 10 seconds on 2 or 3 straight possessions to kill more clock.

To start with Fran's team never really seem mentally prepared to play a lot of games. Next we're a horrible defensive team, slow to ball and just not quick. We don't have a point guard who can do anything with the ball .(once in a wildness Toussaint looks like he might have some promise) I can't for the life of me think how IOWA coaches think Conner McC is a point guard. In my opinion he's not really a very good BB player in the B10. I've never seen a top 5 team without a better than average point guard. Father/ son is not good for Iowa!!!

To start with Fran's team never really seem mentally prepared to play a lot of games. Next we're a horrible defensive team, slow to ball and just not quick. We don't have a point guard who can do anything with the ball .(once in a wildness Toussaint looks like he might have some promise) I can't for the life of me think how IOWA coaches think Conner McC is a point guard. In my opinion he's not really a very good BB player in the B10. I've never seen a top 5 team without a better than average point guard. Father/ son is not good for Iowa!!!

Connor is a scrapper, a pretty good defensive player, a smart player, rebounder and can dish some assists. But he is not a great drive and dish guy or a drive to the rim guy.;

The fact that he is not a really good 3 pt shooter hurts of course as for the 34 minutes he was in the game the defense can basically ignore him and shade the other players. Connor really needed to to work on his dribble drive penetration these years because that is the college game now, drive and dish for unguarded treys.

Toussaint can penetrate but you have to live with a few turnovers but if he can finish at the rim which he can and if he can dish to open guys and turn the defense around and bend the defense then he needs more playing time.

Bohannon might be pressuring himself on his last season to really produce.

Connor is a scrapper, a pretty good defensive player, a smart player, rebounder and can dish some assists. But he is not a great drive and dish guy or a drive to the rim guy.;

The fact that he is not a really good 3 pt shooter hurts of course as for the 34 minutes he was in the game the defense can basically ignore him and shade the other players. Connor really needed to to work on his dribble drive penetration these years because that is the college game now, drive and dish for unguarded treys.

Toussaint can penetrate but you have to live with a few turnovers but if he can finish at the rim which he can and if he can dish to open guys and turn the defense around and bend the defense then he needs more playing time.

Bohannon might be pressuring himself on his last season to really produce.
Fran reminds me of my grandkids coaches in the Little League, ASA and what ever little kids play in, who coach those teams with a son on the team. No matter how good their kid is he's the lead off batter, the QB or the point guard!!

Iowa with Toussaint at the point is much more productive and makes Garza and others even better. Just watch the flow of the offense and the pressure it puts on the Defense when Toussaint is in the game and Fran has to see it. Toussaint needs to be on the court more. I will go as far as to say Iowa can make a deep run only if Toussaint keeps playing like he is and gets more and more minutes..

JBO only value is if he is scoring other than that he is a liability.

Iowa with Toussaint at the point is much more productive and makes Garza and others even better. Just watch the flow of the offense and the pressure it puts on the Defense when Toussaint is in the game and Fran has to see it. Toussaint needs to be on the court more. I will go as far as to say Iowa can make a deep run only if Toussaint keeps playing like he is and gets more and more minutes..

Agreed. Unfortunately, JBo's shooting just hasn't been there this season. I really like the energy and tenacity that Toussaint brings. He's really the only guy we have that can penetrate the lane and lock down on the other team's guards. I hope he and Keegan continue to see their minutes increase. Toussaint/CJ/Joe/Keegan/Garza is an excellent lineup.

I will say he seemed to be going with Toussaint until he got racked. I wish he would have been the guy bringing it up the floor at the end of regulation...bet we get a much better shot.

Edit - JBo can also be in the game. But I want it up the floor fast.

I will say he seemed to be going with Toussaint until he got racked. I wish he would have been the guy bringing it up the floor at the end of regulation...bet we get a much better shot.

Edit - JBo can also be in the game. But I want it up the floor fast.

Yeah, the fastest way to get it up court is to pass it. Inbound it to a toussaint, have a pick play on the offensive end to get a guy like bohannon or CJ open and then tousanaint passes them the ball for the game winner.

In the first half I thought it was just missing shots they shoulda made. Garza missed a bunch for him inside that he's capable of hitting. Probably shoudlda got more whistles on some of them too.

What lost the game was JT and CJ missing 4 FTs in the last couple mins. They make just 1 more we'd have had the ball up by 1 inbounding with 5 seconds to go. I like our chances at that point. Both of them are capable of making FTs too that's what makes it suck so bad.

Latest posts