What are you guys hearing about BCS?

CAARHawk

Banned
The people down here have been right about a lot of things. They are buying Brando's claim about the top four teams in the polls playing in a seeded tournament.

I keep telling them that I don't see Delaney or Scott going for that deal. But they are sticking to their guns.

Are you guys hearing anything different?

From what I've heard it sounding like it is going to happen and Deleney/Scott are the main reason why. Speculation is that they finally realized it was going to eventually happen anyways so they've been proactive in helping it. So it'll be on their terms and this way they can preserve the rose bowl tie ins.

I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.

I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.

I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.

I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.

There is just no need for it. You have 2 loss teams in the top 25 higher ranked above undefeated teams due to lossing to ranked teams... With the turnover year in and year out how the f can you rank college teams prior to the start of season?! I ask how can they? Its stupid and gives the big name programs fans reasons to be butt holes. I just think if they do playoff bracket then let the computers figure it out, don't let it be affected by "experts" opinions.

I think starting with a 4 team tournament is fine. If TV market share drastically increases for these games while the Bowls remains level, you might then see more teams added.

I suspect if a 4 team series is successful we will at some point get to 8 or even 16.

There is just no need for it. You have 2 loss teams in the top 25 higher ranked above undefeated teams due to lossing to ranked teams... With the turnover year in and year out how the f can you rank college teams prior to the start of season?! I ask how can they? Its stupid and gives the big name programs fans reasons to be butt holes. I just think if they do playoff bracket then let the computers figure it out, don't let it be affected by "experts" opinions.

I totally agree with your point, but my point is their still going to be rankings if their official or not.

Even if you got rid of the offical polls ESPN would just create some sort of "power" ranking for promotional purposes which would be even worse because instead of idiot sports writers determining who's got the inside run for a NC you have the idiots at ESPN doing it, and we all know they are completely unbiased.

No way they going to have a 8 team playoff as it would ruin the bowl system. There is to much money and communities involved to tear the bowl system up. The only playoff system that makes any sense and keep the bowl system intact would be a plus 1.

No way they going to have a 8 team playoff as it would ruin the bowl system. There is to much money and communities involved to tear the bowl system up. The only playoff system that makes any sense and keep the bowl system intact would be a plus 1.

This

You go to an 8 teamer and if you think the other bowls feel meaningless now. An 8 teamer would hurt Iowa's bottom line most years.

8 teams doesn't necesarily ruin the bowl season. The bowl season is already 3 weeks long. You have the first round near or before Xmas, you have the "final four" on new years day, and the NC game on the Januray 7th or so (the same time it is now).

All the other bowls are free to go back to thier previous historic conference alignments with each making thier own rules for selecting teams if thier top choices get gobbled up with the NC game.

This is already done with the Harris poll. And guess what? It looks almost identical to the AP and coach's poll that comes out in the preseason.

Yes. Whoever creates the first poll is still going to say something like this:

"Well LSU & Alabama are in the SEC, which is better than the Big XII. Therefore, LSU is #1, Bama is #2, and Oklahoma is #3".

Or something like that. It won't matter any more what has actually happened on the field than it does today. The only thing that will change is what week these polls come out. If teams are overrated in week 1, they will lose and drop out of the picture anyway.

That's the beauty of the NFL - there are no rankings, and the only thing that matters is your record when determining who plays in the post-season. The teams in the playoffs are there because they earned it in the regular season, and there are no politics involved in that. Nothing is decided by some homer that thinks that team A is better than team B because of the conference they play in, or because they think these two teams will draw better TV ratings, or any other arbitrary reason.

If they go with this model, Delaney and Scott are going to be watching this whole thing happen from the sidelines every year.

The Big 12 will have a team in, the SEC will have two and the other will come from one of the other weaker leagues.

It will be very, very hard that a team gets through P12, or B1G with another game against the other conference without at least one loss, and very unlikely for a second team to get there.

That is, unless the B1G changes their plan and they go to an SEC conference play model. In that case, don't expect to see some B1G teams play Iowa for a long, long time.

The people down here have been right about a lot of things. They are buying Brando's claim about the top four teams in the polls playing in a seeded tournament.

I keep telling them that I don't see Delaney or Scott going for that deal. But they are sticking to their guns.

Are you guys hearing anything different?

I think Larry Scott backing Jim Delany's plan is a big deal. Those 2 are very powerful and influential. I think this plan must be implemented too for logistical reasons.

Think about this as an Iowa fan (or any fan base really) if the bowls are used for a "Final Four". Iowa finishes #4 in the BCS and plays the #1 team in the Fiesta Bowl just before or just after Christmas. Let's say Iowa wins. Within 10 days you then play the championship game in the Orange Bowl. How many fans could really make both trips? Very, very few. Now some could make one or the other, but what if you wait out for the Orange Bowl trip that doesn't materialize. That could be 10,000 fans or more that don't go to the Fiesta Bowl because of that.

Could you imagine these bowls with half empty stadiums? It would be a disaster. Allowing the #1 and #2 teams to host a 1st round of playoffs makes the most sense while also giving those top 2 teams that earned it, an advantage over the #3 and #4 seed.

Yes. Whoever creates the first poll is still going to say something like this:

"Well LSU & Alabama are in the SEC, which is better than the Big XII. Therefore, LSU is #1, Bama is #2, and Oklahoma is #3".

Or something like that. It won't matter any more what has actually happened on the field than it does today. The only thing that will change is what week these polls come out. If teams are overrated in week 1, they will lose and drop out of the picture anyway.

That's the beauty of the NFL - there are no rankings, and the only thing that matters is your record when determining who plays in the post-season. The teams in the playoffs are there because they earned it in the regular season, and there are no politics involved in that. Nothing is decided by some homer that thinks that team A is better than team B because of the conference they play in, or because they think these two teams will draw better TV ratings, or any other arbitrary reason.

Which is why there should be no playoff in College football, because there would still be rankings and politics involved in determining who is in the playoffs. College doesn't have divisions and salary caps, we have conferences and tradition.

Bowl week(s) is the best time of the year, college football everyday all day...leave it alone. Already have the NFL for a playoff system that allows 6 and 7 loss teams to win the title.

8 teams doesn't necesarily ruin the bowl season. The bowl season is already 3 weeks long. You have the first round near or before Xmas, you have the "final four" on new years day, and the NC game on the Januray 7th or so (the same time it is now).

All the other bowls are free to go back to thier previous historic conference alignments with each making thier own rules for selecting teams if thier top choices get gobbled up with the NC game.

It completely ruins it. You would turn the bowl system into some kind of NIT where unless you're in it no one is watching it. Once you create a 8 team tournament field a 16 team one will not be far behind it.

It completely ruins it. You would turn the bowl system into some kind of NIT where unless you're in it no one is watching it. Once you create a 8 team tournament field a 16 team one will not be far behind it.

Do you think anyone watches the Insight bowl now unless their teams are in it? It's not going to have a major impact on the bowl games, if anything it will bring back the tradition. It adds only three games to the schedule and frees up the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar bowls to go BACK to thier traditional conference alignments.

Bowl season kicks off with the first round playoffs around xmas. This ADDS excitement to the beginning of the bowl season. Round two is on New Years day along with traditonal New Years bowl games like the Rose.

It ends around Jan 7th with the most exciting and meaningful bowl game in the history of college football.

The ONLY bowls that loose luster in this scenario are the mediocre "January" bowl games that don't really mean much anyway.

Besides all that an 8 team playoff is probably the ONLY way Iowa ever wins a NC. We are unlikely to ever make a BCS title game. However we CAN win the B10 title game and get a shot in an 8 team playoff.

Latest posts