What are the chances the Penn St QBs look like All-Americans on Saturday?

From ESPN's Brian Bennett on the quarterback situation at PSU:

Surprise! Joe Paterno says he doesn't know who his starting quarterback will be this week. Of course, Paterno has said that every week, and every week he has started Rob Bolden. In the last couple of weeks, though, Matt McGloin has played better while coming on in relief. While neither has been outstanding, McGloin is also the only Big Ten quarterback who's played regularly in every game who has yet to throw an interception this season.

Paterno, though, talked again about how both players are equal in many regards.

"It's a dilemma," he said. "I'm very reluctant to point out that one is better than the other ... so I'm going to play them both. It's one of those things where people might not agree with it, and that's fine. I'm not sure I agree with it."

As the B1G quarterback world turns ... - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

I don't think either offense will be able to have many long drives on Saturday. Field position may be the deciding factor in this game. The offenses may need short fields to put up points. I'd like to see KF change things up and defer if we win the toss.

Because many of us have been around long enough to know this program too often plays down to its opponent's level. The worst thing for Iowa was to see PSU play flat and struggle to beat a really bad Indiana team.

b1tch b1tch b1tch. i'm not surprised that your sig is full of political bullsh1t.

I can't recall too many times we've made a Penn State quarterback look like an all American. Their offense plays right into our hands... especially when they're lacking offensive talent like they are this year.

I don't think either offense will be able to have many long drives on Saturday. Field position may be the deciding factor in this game. The offenses may need short fields to put up points. I'd like to see KF change things up and defer if we win the toss.

Yessssss. Especially after the bye week, on the road, against a good D. Tying this back to the beginning of the thread, something that might get PSU's QB play rolling is starting at midfield if we go 3-and-out to start. Kick it and make them turn the field position to start the game (assuming we can cover the kickoff).

The contrasting opinions in these threads are so amusing. I would look at the previous results more than anything else, we've been pretty good against them the past decade, or however long it has been. They're anemic offensively, and fairly stingy defensively. Sure, they have the potential to make plays or whatever, but they aren't good enough to expect that from their offense. If we can pass enough to open up the run game we'll be fine, our passing is our strength so far. Our defense has played OK, and there isn't much that should scare you about their offense or QB controversy.

It'll probably be close, but I think the edge goes to Iowa.

Since we have had the tendency in the past to make players look like All-Stars, will the Penn St QBs transform before our very eyes?

If Penn St were to beat Iowa, where will Penn St excel at?

Yes, used to be our thing in basketball. Every bad team we played had their game of the year against us. I have been thinking this with this PSU team. Give a QB a little confidence and they can get rolling. Lets put PSU away early.

I can't recall too many times we've made a Penn State quarterback look like an all American. Their offense plays right into our hands... especially when they're lacking offensive talent like they are this year.

I think their offense USED TO play right into our hands as they tried to run straight at us. Perfect for us the last 8 years, but not so much this year. This year, I think a team would be smart to run straight at us because of our front four. So... with this year, I think our D isn't a good match up for their style and our O will have to carry us, which is again not typical of us or this game.

I think if we can weather the inevitable storm that occurs in the first quarter as Penn State's players will be all jacked with the crowd and revenge factor...we should be able to get our offense going, and i'm thinking it will be in the air. Based on how our running game has performed and the ability of the Penn State front seven, I think we need to put this game on JVB's back and let him throw early and often to get comfortable.

correctamundomygoodfriend

I'm getting tired of so many teams especially in our league getting too much credit for their name.......because they excelled 10-20 years ago. We have beaten this team 8 out of 10. i.e.:

Penn St. is terrible.
Ohio St. is terrible
Nebraska is overrated and bad
Michigan St. is overrated and bad
Michigan hasn't played anyone and may be bad

We are as good as any of these weak teams and can beat any of them if our D can begin to gel together.

It is as if every team in the B1G has turned into Notre Dame - they are assumed to be great because they were good in 1991.

P.S. Penn St. blows.

^You are correct, but this is college football, and that is how it works, unfortunately. Probably the most unlikable thing about it.

And. on top of that.. why do Hawk fans continue to regularly ***** and fight with each other on a web-site devoted to hawk fans....

Because we can.

Do you think what happens here is any different than any other discussion that takes place over a few beers or at the next tailgate? I don't. Except there's no adult beverage involved, at least that the rest of us can see. It's perfectly OK for Hawk fans to argue with each other and kvetch about the coaches, the players, the game strategies, play-calling. But when it comes down to it we are all Hawk fans and will cheer until our voices give out on game day. :D

Since we have had the tendency in the past to make players look like All-Stars, will the Penn St QBs transform before our very eyes?

If Penn St were to beat Iowa, where will Penn St excel at?

We have a tendency of allowing mediocre QB's look better, but Daryl Clark had plenty of **** poor days against the Hawkeyes!

It would not surprise me if one of the QBs has the game of their year thus far. It all comes back to what we know -- if we don't get pressure on the QB a lot of QBs are going to look good this year against Iowa.

PSU has a fine defense, perhaps the best in the Big 10 this year. That defense is going to make it very difficult for Iowa to run the ball. They will close the holes and gaps quickly on Coker and our running game. Iowa will probably face a lot of 3rd and longs Saturday.

Which is why with Iowa's Oline - they should be able to throw the ball to our experienced receivers!! AND open up just enough of a hole for Canzieri to squirt through.

PSU has a fine defense, perhaps the best in the Big 10 this year. That defense is going to make it very difficult for Iowa to run the ball. They will close the holes and gaps quickly on Coker and our running game. Iowa will probably face a lot of 3rd and longs Saturday.

I'm no coach, but if PSU is selling out to stop the run, then that's why I think we need to throw the ball early and often. We have proven the last two games that we can throw the ball very effectively.

I'm not saying we should totally abandon the running game, but if we come out and play "Iowa Football" and just try to pound it play after play in the first quarter, then I think we're playing right into PSU's hands.

If we hurt PSU enough through the air, then keep doing it until they have to adjust. That should open up opportunities on the ground. Take what the D gives you - that's my philosophy.

PSU's offense is bad, and I am not overly worried about our D getting burned badly in this game. If our O can manage to be productive, then I don't think PSU can outscore us.

I like our chances.

I think their offense USED TO play right into our hands as they tried to run straight at us. Perfect for us the last 8 years, but not so much this year. This year, I think a team would be smart to run straight at us because of our front four. So... with this year, I think our D isn't a good match up for their style and our O will have to carry us, which is again not typical of us or this game.

Have you watched any Iowa games this year?

What has hurt Iowa is running QB's and running out of the spread formation and that zone read play, not running straight at them. I'm confident if either PSU QB lines up under center and hands the ball off to Redd that Iowa can stop that. Iowa is 52nd in rush D and 89th in passing D so far this year.

Latest posts