What are our chances to win the NIT?

I'd say 60/40. Couple tough games early on.

Iowa will only host one game in the NIT unless there are some upsets.. I don't think there's a 60% chance Iowa wins it compared to 40% chance that they don't. Even then.. Winning the NIT isn't exactly a cakewalk. I've never seen an Iowa team even make it to NYC.

I'll put the odds at about 10%.

If they were awarded a #1 seed I would have liked their chances. This team has proved they struggle on the road and unless they get some breaks (ie Stony Brook upsetting UMass) then I cannot see Iowa winning 2 road games to get to New York.

We got a bad draw. First things first, we got to beat ISU.

Obviously the Hawks have to win the first game to win it all. What do you think the chances are of winning the whole thing?

Personally, I think the Hawks are capable of beating anyone in the NIT. Like the OP said, Hawks can struggle on the road, so I'll put my percentage at 25%. Could easily see the Hawks losing a close one to Umass, especially without Gessell. However I like the Hawks a lot tomorrow at home.

Not too good. I'd say 10%.

Even at home they are going to struggle because of their lack of shooting. Plus the most important thing is motivation. We won't know that until the 2nd half Wed. night. Does this team even care about the NIT after being 7 minutes away from serious NCAA consideration?

About the same as a clown troll making it over 1,000 posts pretending to be an Iowa fan on Hawkeyenation.....so, pretty good

Agree with others that the first game we play on the road will be our last in the NIT. Poor shooting, Gesell hurt and only scorer will not hold serve against quicker, more athletic teams who will smother Marble and expose our poor perimeter shooting. Wish I felt differently, but until I see this team suck it up and win a meaningful game on the road, I won't believe it.

Agree with others that the first game we play on the road will be our last in the NIT. Poor shooting, Gesell hurt and only scorer will not hold serve against quicker, more athletic teams who will smother Marble and expose our poor perimeter shooting. Wish I felt differently, but until I see this team suck it up and win a meaningful game on the road, I won't believe it.

But, you're not playing other B1G teams, so you should run the table with everyone in the NIT, right? Isn't that what you always brag about? (ease up, it's just a message board)

Honestly, I think it could come down to Iowa v Baylor for the NIT championship. Then you'd get a chance to prove the whole B1G vs BigXII thing, at least in basketball. If you make it that far, I think you've got a shot. At least a 50% shot at a championship, anyway.

But, you're not playing other B1G teams, so you should run the table with everyone in the NIT, right? Isn't that what you always brag about? (ease up, it's just a message board)

Honestly, I think it could come down to Iowa v Baylor for the NIT championship. Then you'd get a chance to prove the whole B1G vs BigXII thing, at least in basketball. If you make it that far, I think you've got a shot. At least a 50% shot at a championship, anyway.

A bigger measuring stick for the B1G will be in the NCAA tournament. How many B1G teams will make the final four? If Iowa made it to the championship game against Baylor, I like Iowa's chances in that game.

The bottom line in tourney basketball is who is going to play defense. If your team plays good hard nosed defense like we have all year then you always have a chance. I like our chances against ISU and even Umass. The game that would scare me the most would be a possible game at Virginia. They knocked off a hot team at the time in Duke at home, and we are not on the same level with Duke. That said, I give us about around a 5-10% chance to win it.

Getting to New York City is the key. If we make it that far I think we win it. Either way I am happy we get to watch more basketball because football season is a long ways away.

I honestly felt really good about the Hawks chances in the NIT. Talk was that they were one of the last teams considered for the NCAA. That lead me to believe Iowa was in line for a 1 or 2 seed. When the brackets came out, my expectations dropped.

I expect Iowa to win game 1 and any other home game. I also expect the 1st road game to be a win as they will have a chip on their shoulder. After that, I think Iowa may be in trouble on the road. I don't like the idea of playing more than one road game.

But I'll be cheering them on and enjoying the ride!!

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts