What about the Bowls?

Hawkeyes1982x

Trying to get this out so it makes sense to all you, instead of whats going on in my head cause its a mess when I think about this. I don't know if its been talked about or not. But I was sitting here thinking about if all these new conferences got formed, who'd get automatic BCS invites conference wise, etc etc. Then I got to thinking how would the normal bowls align. Would all the bowls be reformatted, like new deals? Instead of like Big Ten vs Big 12, would they try to reformat deals for like more Big Ten vs Pac 10. Because lets face it, the Big 12 wont be the same again. ACC could get depleted some because of the SEC possibly taking Miami, FSU, if not any others. Big East could lose some. The prestige of the conferences could be way low and not set up really competitive games like the past. Just wondering if all the bowls would kind of realign as well.

Never even thought about the bowls until your post. It's some interesting stuff to ponder for sure. The Big12 has six bowl tie ins this year:
Cotton Bowl v SEC
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl v Pac10
Alamo Bowl v Big 10
Insight Bowl v Big 10
Independence Bowl v SEC
Texas Bowl v ?

I'm assuming that if TX leaves the Big12, the Big12 won't survive so any tie-ins would have to be adjusted.

Was thinking about this myself earlier tonight. At some point in all this, the BCS officials and ESPN (who just shelled out big money for BCS TV rights) are going to have something to say about all of this.

Okay:

4 major conferences - 8 divisions - 16 pods. That could work into a 16 team defacto playoff.

Could also work into 4 conference championship games from top teams in 8 divisions. Winner of those games could play in a two game playoff.

4 losers of conference championships could play in second tier bowls. Winners of pods that did not win division could play each other and then at large from there.

Here's another option.

Four 18 team superconferences each divided into 3 six team divisions. The leftovers divided into Four conferences (MAC/WAC/CUSA/MWC)Champions of each leftover conference gets into 16 team playoff with the 12 division champs.

Would love to see about half of the current bowl games go away.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

Never even thought about the bowls until your post. It's some interesting stuff to ponder for sure. The Big12 has six bowl tie ins this year:
Cotton Bowl v SEC
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl v Pac10
Alamo Bowl v Big 10
Insight Bowl v Big 10
Independence Bowl v SEC
Texas Bowl v ?

I'm assuming that if TX leaves the Big12, the Big12 won't survive so any tie-ins would have to be adjusted.
Just a FYI the Big10 doesn't play in the Alamo bowl any more

Not me, of course I don't watch them all but I love having that option of college football being on tv basically the whole month of December when in won't be on for 9 more months after the bowls are over.

Why do bowl games offend fans?
I just do not get that.
No one is forced to watch them.
It is more college football games to watch over the holiday period when it intrudes on no other major sport.
I guess it seems to be illogical that huge college football fans would wish for less college football games to watch or ignore as they choose.

Why do bowl games offend fans?
I just do not get that.
No one is forced to watch them.
It is more college football games to watch over the holiday period when it intrudes on no other major sport.
I guess it seems to be illogical that huge college football fans would wish for less college football games to watch or ignore as they choose.

Agree with you on this, I enjoy most all the bowls.

Latest posts